JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2010 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/)
-   -   Spin off Sam's post about mealtime! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/2433170-spin-off-sams-post-about-mealtime.html)

Shea131 October 17th, 2011 03:03 PM

Spin off Sam's post about mealtime!

This previous topic really got my wondering.....

Who makes their kids finish what's on their plate??

I know that Tiffany said her kids have to finish everything to get more of one thing, does anyone else do this??

Or do your kid(s) eat what they want and how much they want?

I'm not trying to start a debate I truly just wonder how everyone handles meal times from this aspect. I get everyone is different and has different ways of running their household and we may not all agree.

For us....Peyton eats what she likes. Perfect example, last night we had pot roast, potatoes, green beans, and carrots. The only things Peyton would eat out of that are the green beans and carrots so that's all she ate. We put some roast and potatoes out for her along with the beans and carrots but she left those on her plate and ate all the beans and carrots and asked for more. She was obviously still hungry but didn't want to eat the things she didn't like, who would? So she got more green beans and carrots. So we fall in to the 3rd category :) I would never make her finish her plate before leaving the table even when she's older. There are lots of times I don't finish my plate because I'm full.
I also want to add that if we had a good meal and I knew Peyton liked part of it but only wanted to eat lets say cookies that would be a different story lol

taralyn October 17th, 2011 03:42 PM

Re: Spin off Sam's post about mealtime!

We do the same as Shea. She basically eats what she wants to right now. When she's older I might get on her more but I feel she's too little now to force her to eat what she doesn't want to.

QueenCrafty October 17th, 2011 04:08 PM

If her plate has chicken, mashed potatoes, and carrots on it, I know she's going to eat the potatoes first and beg for more without touching anything else. I try to encourage her to take a few bites of the other things before she can have what she wants. But if she's begging for more carrots before eating potatoes, I'll give her more. I don't expect her to always finish everything on her plate. I don't think she gets the concept of consequences like that yet. I rarely make Lily do it even now

Sam914 October 17th, 2011 04:24 PM

Michael is very picky so i just get him to eat what he can... but when hes older and i know if he actually is just being picky and refusing to eat for no reason or doesnt like something then i'll enforce it more. Right now i give him what i want him to eat the most first, then he'll typically eat all of that then he'll get something else. If i give heim 3 things at the same time he'll eat 1 and think he's done. My step daughter has to eat whats on her plate or she definitely doesnt get dessert and if she flat out refuses to eat at all then she has to go to her room (Like if she wont eat because doesnt "feel" like having a hamburger etc).

mylene169 October 17th, 2011 05:16 PM

Kolbie eats what she eats and we call it good. We do encourage her to try a bit of everything but if she doesn't try something it's fine for now. In a year or so it'll be different.

Kaija has to have at least 1 bite of everything on her plate. She's in a big "ew gross!" phase right now that has very little to do with whether or not she actually likes something and more to do with if she says she doesn't like something odds are she'll get one of the 3 things she "will" eat. Mostly meal times with Kaija makes me want to run screaming into the street. It's so frustrating!

Twhylite21 October 17th, 2011 05:41 PM

Violet eats what she wants. I give her more of foods if she finishes all of that item, but she doesn't have to finish everything on her plate. So, if she eats all her broccoli, but not her chicken, then she can have more broccoli.

Lily has to eat 3 bites of everything though. Neither girls is picky, but Lily will try to get out of eating something to get dessert (my mom is a huge dessert fiend). So, she has to eat at least 3 bites of everything on her plate if she wants more food and/or dessert. Once she does the 3 bites of everything then she can be done, or eat more.

CanadianLou October 18th, 2011 06:57 AM

I'm like most of you, they don't have to eat everything on their plate. I won't ever make the kids eat everything on their plate. Livi right now, it's just nice if she eats without freaking out and throwing it all over the floor....lol

But my oldest DD, she is getting to the point where she says she is full, and throws out her food and then is asking for snacks and treats within an hour. So sometimes I make her save her supper and if she is hungry later she can eat that. I find sometimes when she wants a treat, she'll go back to her supper and clean her plate so she can have the treat she wants. lol

JaxonsMom2010 October 18th, 2011 09:11 AM

My older kids have to eat everything on their plate to get more of something. They don't always have to eat everything, but for seconds they do. Of course they are 12, 11 and 8.

Jaxon - whatever I can get him to eat - that is what he eats.

Also we have some rules -

You can't say you don't like something if you have never tried it more than once.

If mom or dad eats it - you must try it.

If neither mom or dad will touch it, you don't have to try it.