JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2010 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/)
-   -   slightly nervous (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/2437215-slightly-nervous.html)

frgsonmysox October 24th, 2011 04:13 PM

slightly nervous

I went to the pain clinic today. My husband pulled the doctor aside and told him the pain meds weren't working anymore and could he PLEASE up my dosage because I won't ask him to. I told the doctor I didn't want to up it until the baby was born, it won't harm him in utero but it can cause withdrawal after he's born. The doctor assured me that withdrawal wasn't that serious as long as they are aware of it, and that there is no guarantee he will go through it. So they upped my dosage. I went from six 2mg pills a day to four (so only 4 mg more each day).

I'm still planning to cut way down before he's born so he can go through withdrawal in utero instead of out, but of course I'm still nervous.

Twhylite21 October 24th, 2011 05:51 PM

Re: slightly nervous

I'm sure it'll work out! At least you won't be in as much pain for a while, and then you can wean down before the birth a bit.

mylene169 October 24th, 2011 07:05 PM

I would be nervous too. I'm sure everything will work out just fine though!

mum74 October 25th, 2011 02:59 AM

You obviously need it and sounds like you have a good doc and a good plan.

sandpaper06 October 25th, 2011 08:55 AM

Way to go Chris! I am always proud of husbands who take care of their wives like that.

I get your nervousness, but hopefully everything will be fine. It sounds like your doctor is going to take good care of both of you.

Max n Meghan's Mom October 25th, 2011 03:54 PM

Your pain, especially unmanaged causes a lot of stress on your baby which is NOT good for the baby. You know that and so do your doctors. You can't just suffer through, you'll both be in a bad place if that happens. Listen to your doctors and accept the help. *Hugs*

Racine October 25th, 2011 05:16 PM

Seriously, go Chris! I'm sorry you've been in so much pain :( I completely agree with the other ladies, the benefits far outweigh the potential of any minor repercussions and I'm sure you and baby will be better off for this decision.

fibigrey October 25th, 2011 07:08 PM

ditto what the other girls said.. you take your meds responsibily, and under a doctors care.. Everything will work out!

lauriebeth October 25th, 2011 08:06 PM

What everyone else said :) I would be super nervous, too, but you have to be able to function!

Kittynoah October 25th, 2011 10:53 PM

Chris is awesome! And I agree with what everyone said - the stress of the pain is worse than the increased meds. Just stay in touch with your doc and I am sure everything will be fine.

JaxonsMom2010 October 26th, 2011 06:13 AM

thinking about you! I am sure everything will work out. I am so glad you have such a wonderful husband too!

amazing_love October 26th, 2011 09:23 PM

I agree that you have one awesome husband! It sounds like this is the best option but i understand being nervous. I'm sure everything will be ok!

frgsonmysox October 27th, 2011 05:21 AM

Thanks you guys :) At 34 weeks I'm going to wean down so that the baby has less of a chance of withdrawal. I just hope it works. I really don't want him to have to go trhough that.

Max n Meghan's Mom October 27th, 2011 06:02 AM

Just make sure that your doctors know you're weaning and approve. Withdrawal can be dangerous during pregnancy as well.

Katie81 October 27th, 2011 06:43 AM

They will also be able to help him out with small doses once he is born to avoid the effects of withdrawal. Your body will be better able to handle the pregnancy if you aren't in pain. I know it must be such a tough decision but I think less pain is better for both of you. Hugs!

frgsonmysox October 27th, 2011 08:19 AM

My doctors know my intentions to wean down. It won't be cold turkey, at 34 weeks I'll drop to 2 pills instead of 4, and at 35 weeks I'll go down to 1 pill. I'll stay at 1 pill until he's born and then go back up. Luckily with breastfeeding he'll still get the meds in his system in a small dose so they said it should help with withdrawal.

Thats another benefit to getting induced. I know exactly when I need to start weaning down.

Jennifer-Jacob's Mommy October 27th, 2011 04:11 PM

Id be worried too but the Dr wouldn't up it if it was serious harm to the baby. good luck!