JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2010 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/)
-   -   Gifts for teachers? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/2449142-gifts-for-teachers.html)

MrsTiffy November 15th, 2011 10:24 AM

Gifts for teachers?

For those of you with older kids do you get their teachers gifts for Christmas? I went to a really small school, so my parents were friends with my teachers. My mom always made sure we gave our teacher a gift even if it was just a handmade card. I don't know if that is something that most people do, but I was thinking about making some wreaths they could put on their classroom door. What do you think?

Sam914 November 15th, 2011 10:36 AM

Re: Gifts for teachers?

I never did and as far as i know my step daughter doesnt give hers anything. I think a wreath is a cute idea but a lot of schools can't have anything that is actually Christmasy anymore

QueenCrafty November 15th, 2011 12:01 PM

When I was in middle school, my mom always bought my teachers paper. Our school's budget was low so teachers had to buy their own paper if they wanted to do worksheets or printed off tests for all the students. I think a lot of teachers end up paying for a good amount of their classroom supplies so an office store gift card might be nice. You could also make it more personal by adding some homemade baked goods to it. I do baked goods for preschool teachers

mylene169 November 15th, 2011 02:00 PM

Kaija's just in preschool but I'm going to have her help me make some cookies and we'll get a cute basket or box to put them in.

JaxonsMom2010 November 15th, 2011 02:21 PM

My daughter and middle son are the only ones where it is possible to do gifts for this year.

I am knitting scarfs for each of them. I have also done the following:

Mugs with drink mixes
Notepads and cute pens
dayplanners for the next year
hand lotion or hand sanitizer from Bath & Body works (I always buy the travel sizes)
Last year I knitted a face cloth and put it with some shower gel and a eye mask
I have also gave those reed smelling things ( I don't know what it is called)

One year when I was the class room mom, I gave the teacher a personalized ornanment with that year on it. She loved it and started crying.

croutonluver2 November 15th, 2011 03:42 PM

As a teacher, I think anything useful is appreciated...fancy pens, cute notepads, a 5.00 gift card to starbucks or dunkin donuts, picture frames for the desk. Hope that helps :) I personally would stay away from stuffed animals and mugs :) As a teacher over the years I would say I have accumulated quite a collection of these items :)

palmetto_moon November 15th, 2011 07:57 PM

We live in a really small town, but it does have a pizza hut. Since pizza hut is only a mile from the elementary school, teachers go there daily for lunch. So last Christmas our kids gave their teachers gift cards to Pizza Hut. They were a big hit since the teachers eat there regularly.

Katie81 November 16th, 2011 07:28 AM

My SIL is a teacher and she gets tons of gift cards at holiday time. She certainly appreciates them. I stock my daughter's class with all the extra craft supplies that the county does not supply, but I will be giving her teacher a card with some soft of gift card inside. Probably $20 to Target.

Kittynoah November 16th, 2011 11:11 AM

I get Jed's daycare provider a gift - usually something Christmassy (last year I got her snowman salt and pepper shakers since she collects snowmen).

As a teacher, i know that any school supplies are welcomed and I love getting gift cards - even if they are just for 5 bucks. Some of my students give me handmade treats and I appreciate those too. Honestly, I am thankful for even a card to know I am appreciated.

Amanda C November 16th, 2011 02:37 PM

I do. DS has several teachers so last year I just got each of them a big bag of assorted Ghirardelli chocolates.