JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2010 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/)
-   -   Not sure how to title this (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/2598705-not-sure-how-to-title.html)

MommyBeth November 25th, 2012 08:22 AM

Not sure how to title this

Has anyone ever wanted to be pregnant, but afraid of what could happen to yourself at delivery or after?

Given that I went into congestive heart failure when MaryBeth was born and what recently happened with my SIL, I am terrified of having to have another csection. I am almost completely terrified to even think about having another baby. But at the same time I want to at least start thinking about setting a date to TTC or even one to NTNP.

How does a 26 year old, go into hospital for something as joyous as birth, leave the hospital 16 hrs after delivery dead?

This is not a question of faith, but more a question of what went wrong. Did someone mess up, was there an underlying condition we weren't aware of? This is also something I will probably never understand even once we have "answers".(There was an autopsy performed. We are still waiting on results.) She was fine after csection, lost some blood and was anemic so they were giving her a blood transfusion. She never got to see her baby girls. Twin B was born not breathing and both girls were rushed off to NICU to be checked out.

There had not been an ultrasound until she got to hospital to see if baby was head down. This was when they found out they were having twins. One twin was head down the other breach. She had gotten major run around from one clinic and had just transferred to another about a month before birth. Her due date was changed from Nov. 7 to 3 weeks later. Also she had 1 boy 6 years ago and the only complication was she got an infection after he was born. He was born "naturally".

How do you put aside your fears to think about having another baby? How can you not be fearful every minute of another pregnancy?

nurselochia November 29th, 2012 08:20 AM

Re: Not sure how to title this

I think it's perfectly understandable to be scared, especially with what you and your family has gone through. But the likelihood is pretty slim of something like dying to happen. I'm astounded she never had an ultrasound. I'm glad she made it to term. I know that no one knows what happened but it sounds to me like she had either an amniotic fluid embolism or a pulmonary embolism. They are very rare, and the risk of having something like that happen does go up with a c/s. But those would cause someone to just be gone, very quickly. But it is a very rare occurance. And if you do decide to have another baby, the fact that you know that you went into CHF after delivery last time (did they overload you with fluid?) they would keep a much closer eye on you. Major hugs for you and your family.

MommyBeth December 1st, 2012 10:34 PM

Re: Not sure how to title this

I think they did overload me with fluid, to keep from having to do a blood transfusion. Doc. talked to Dh while I was in recovery...dh is horrible with details. They also didn't send me home with bp meds and my bp was still running pretty high.