JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2010 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/)
-   -   Calling all mamas who have moved! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/2601924-calling-all-mamas-who-have-moved.html)

~Kris~ December 3rd, 2012 09:06 PM

Calling all mamas who have moved!

I need TIPS!!! Where do you even begin to pack things up? The whole thing seems very overwhelming (and our house isn't even big!). We have 5 wks to be packed up.

A specific ? I have is-what did you do with hanging clothes-did you buy those boxes from a moving place that has a rod in it to keep them hanging or did you fold them all to move them? I needto find out how much they are to see if it's worth it or not.

~SavedbyGrace~ December 4th, 2012 09:31 AM

Re: Calling all mamas who have moved!

I left all my clothes on the hangers and through them in my van. So...I might not be the best person to ask about this. :giggle:

~Kris~ December 4th, 2012 09:49 AM

:lol: Nichole! I actually found out the moving company we are most likely going to use puts rods in the trucks, so they can keep everything hanging during the move. A guy is coming on Friday to give me an estimate.

-Trish- December 4th, 2012 12:06 PM

I packed a lot of the clothes we don't wear very often (or out of season) in boxes and left the rest on hangers.

It is VERY overwhelming. All I can say is start boxing up the stuff you're not going to need in the next 5 weeks....and I mean EVERYTHING. Empty drawers and closets and if you come across anything you might use, set it aside. Box up everything in your kitchen except for pans and utensils you'll use and enough glasses and plates for each of you...you can wash and reuse over and over again...pack the rest up. Since you know exactly how much time you have to be done, it should be easier, you can you can pack up pretty much everything. Kind of sucks being right after Christmas though.

ETA: Just pick a room to start with and start packing ;)

Pupcake74 December 4th, 2012 09:44 PM

Trish pretty much covered it.

Also go and get those colored dot stickers. Lots of them. Since you are having movers it makes it very simple. Put the dot on top and at least two sides, since they can fall off. Hang a sticky note with that color dot for that room so they can easily tell where to put the box if you get tied up with something else. Have a list at the enterance as well.

So will you be packing and they are just going to move the boxes and furniture?

We did household for a bit so if you have any ? let me know.

emmiejack0810 December 5th, 2012 05:53 AM

The first thing I did was pack anything that we were not using... then packed what we needed last...

I left all the clothes in drawers and on hangers... Just pulled the drawers out of the dressers and we took those and then just pull all the hanging clothes in our car as well...

I also transported our china, liquor, and most of our hanging prints....

cabbagepatch December 5th, 2012 08:15 AM

The kitchen seems to take the longest so I'd spend time on that first. You can use socks and clothes to cushion your fragile items to save $ and reduce paper waste.
We left everything on hangers and just loaded them into totes.
Try to get your boxes and old blankets and quilts free on Craigslist or Freecycle. Check if there is Facebook swap group near you as well to ask for what you need. Renting stuff can be very pricy!
Buy some plastic wrap reels in the shipping section of the store. Leave your clothes in drawers but remove the drawers on moving day. After the base unit is taken to the truck, reinsert the drawers and wrap in blankets. Then use the stretch wrap to hold the blankets in place.
We had way too many plastic totes on both our moves. The moving company lost 4 of them in our cross-country move, probably because the labels they used don't adhere well to plastic. If you use totes be sure to sharpie your name and new address on the exterior and interior of the tote.
Our cross-country move cost hubby's company $11K. Our across town move cost $10 for tape and plastic wrap, $130 for the UHaul truck and gas, and $315 for 2 mover's for 4 hours. They had to move a piano so $100 of that was for the special exertion.
I staged everything in like groups in the two car garage of our rental. Most of the furniture was still inside the rental but most were empty and disassembled. I had the movers come at 1pm so hubby and I had time all morning to finish last minute stuff. There was more of that than I anticipated even though I was incredibly organized.
You want to put odd shaped items(strollers, step stools, dining chairs, fans, etc)in the front berth of the truck, then pack those in tightly with bagged items(I had Ikea poly bags for our off season clothes). Then tetris in a layer or two of moving boxes. Then go mattresses, appliances and large furniture. Last in is any lawn equipment and outdoor items.
Be sure to drain gasoline from mowers and defrost freezers or you may get some icky puddles in the van.
Start disassembling and wrapping your furniture early. The more time you take to do this nicely, in advance, the less likely your items will be scratched to bits in the moving truck. After my two experiences this year, I can say confidently, DO NOT TRUST MOVERS TO DO THIS!!!
Where are you moving to Kris?

redbirds December 5th, 2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~SavedbyGrace~ (Post 26836417)
I left all my clothes on the hangers and through them in my van. So...I might not be the best person to ask about this. :giggle:

This is EXACTLY what I would have done if moving with the same town/area. Saves so much time! ;) (or I'm lazy, take your pick)

white.house December 5th, 2012 11:37 AM

We just always pick a room and start packing it. It's usually the bedrooms first. We pack a suitcase of clothes to use in the interim and put the rest of the clothes in all of our luggage. Stuff on hangers gets draped over the seats in the truck :lol:
I like to make sure EVERYTHING but the big stuff is in boxes and I label each box with the room.
The kitchen does take the longest, so I always put that off when really it prob should be one of the first rooms you do bit by bit ;)

irish luck December 6th, 2012 07:10 PM

We got a POD and started packing a month in advance, it seemed like it took forever but it was great on moving day. On Moving day we basically just had to unpack

good luck!

~Kris~ December 6th, 2012 07:23 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone!

I think I'll be able to get enough free boxes by "shopping" for boxes at Walmart when they do their stocking overnights. They start at 10pm, so I went the other night at 1030 and got almost 30 boxes. I foresee spending a small fortune on tape though. :lol:

1/2 of the garage is nearly full just moving most of the toy bins from the living room. OY! Hopefully this Saturday hubby is going to my sister's house to help her organize her garage/put up shelving to make room to temporarily store his old car there so we can use our whole garage as prep area. It looks like the movers charge by the 1/4 hour, so the more boxes I can get moved to the garage, the better. But we're getting old and don't want to move the big stuff which is why we are getting the movers. :lol:

~Kris~ December 6th, 2012 07:30 PM

Constance-if all goes according to the plan, we are moving about 30 minutes from us. It puts hubby farther from work, but closer to the airport. It's all happened very qiuckly. The week before Thanksgiving, I found the house online. It's 3200 sq ft + a 1700 sq ft pole barn on almost 2 acres. Only 1 neighbor, with a tree farm behind and to the other side of the property. It's not the original area we thought we'd move to, but the land spoke to us! Plus the taxes are only a little more than we pay here and in the other areas we were looking at would have been double. We put in an offer contigent upon selling ours and they were willing to work with that. We put our house on the market last Friday afternoon, pretty aggressively priced, had ~18 showings (depending if they all showed up or not) and we got 4 offers, 3 of them over our asking price and accepted an offer on Monday afternoon. CRAZY FAST!!!

RunningWithBoys December 8th, 2012 07:16 AM

We moved less than a mile away so I did exactly what Nichole did and threw my clothes, still on hangers, into my car.

The kitchen took me the longest, but I only had 2.5 - 3 weeks to pack which was easier I think. I wasn't having to think what will we need, what can we pack, etc. Everything just had to go somewhere!

I used a lot a lot a lot of recycled newspaper for packing. Free (it was donated by family and friend) and then it could be recycled after I was done. Win Win!

~Kris~ December 10th, 2012 06:06 AM

We got the car moved to my sister's house so now I can really start packing since I have more space to put stuff in the garage. Man we have a lot of stuff!

Trying to decide if I want to pack today or get the rest of the Christmas gifts wrapped.

Momma-J December 11th, 2012 07:19 AM

Eek. It's such a pain! I waited to do the kitchen last and that was not good! The last day we ended up throwing everything in boxes, it was a mess! I would do bedrooms first because you can pretty much empty them completely and still be able to sleep in them. I'd probably keep the family room as is till after Christmas.... Ugh, I'm still trying to unpack/organize. The basement is sick!