JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2010 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/)
-   -   Garden (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/2637212-garden.html)

karenwalter March 23rd, 2013 11:09 AM

Garden

Anyone planted or planning to plant a spring garden? What are you planting?

Got some of my planting done today. Feels so good to have it started! So far I planted: zucchini, yellow squash, lettuce variety, and some flowers. We also have strawberries growing that are soooo good! And the apple tree is blooming. DH is going to get the avocado and citus trees planted today too.

Aynber March 23rd, 2013 11:22 AM

Re: Garden

I'm planning on it, but my tiller is in the shop. I should be getting it back sometime this week, so I should be able to get started next weekend.

ThaiSpice March 24th, 2013 08:35 AM

I REALLY would love to do that, one of these years. This is not the year, though. But yours sounds awesome!

RobinJS March 24th, 2013 09:39 AM

I was supposed to be doing that today but I'm too sore from our curling tourney yesterday. I just have a small 6x4 garden.

doodoosmom March 24th, 2013 10:49 AM

I want to so bad! I really have no idea where to even start though..anyone have advice or a good website I can check out?

karenwalter March 24th, 2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodoosmom (Post 27224358)
I want to so bad! I really have no idea where to even start though..anyone have advice or a good website I can check out?

When I started out, I used the book the square foot gardener. It tells you how to plant alot in a small amount of space. If you don't have a flower bed to use, it even shows you how to build a raised bed to plant in. It really is experimentation about what works and what doesn't though.

*~* March 25th, 2013 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karenwalter (Post 27224833)
When I started out, I used the book the square foot gardener. It tells you how to plant alot in a small amount of space. If you don't have a flower bed to use, it even shows you how to build a raised bed to plant in. It really is experimentation about what works and what doesn't though.

ill have to read that book! i really want to do a raise bed. Id love to grow our own produce. We've planted several fruit trees...but the only one that has done REALLY well is our kumquat tree! i swear its slammed full of fruit all year long.

LadyCoconut March 25th, 2013 06:33 AM

I would love to grow some veggies but I can barely keep our house plants alive. And our yard doesn't have a great space for a garden so ill put it off until we move somewhere else.

Heaven March 25th, 2013 07:42 AM

So jealous that you're already gardening! Personally...i hate gardening (im afraid of bugs and critters and like Shannon can barely keep a real plant alive indoors) but I'm soooooooo ready to see some flowers and green grass :(

We have mostly perrenial plants....no veggies/fruits...so we just let them do their work. we water them ofcourse lol

lhug_nar March 25th, 2013 01:55 PM

I have to figure out what I'm doing for my garden this year... Last year I did a deck garden that was just in plain little planters. I may have to get some wood and make some planters that way or I'm going to get some hog troughs from farm store.

I'm hoping to do cucumbers, rosemary, thyme, mint, chives, onions, lavender, some other herbs, strawberries, lettuce, and we'll see what else. I am hoping that my blueberry bush comes back though.

MominNOVA March 26th, 2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karenwalter (Post 27224833)

This is what I do. We live in a very wooded area and the deer and rabbits eat everything. So, I garden in containers on my deck. It's the only way I can grow a thing.I love veggies from the garden.

Last year I had an herb garden too. Fresh herbs are so expensive at the grocery store. You can grow them in containers, and they're very hardy. Whenever I cook, I just go out to the herb garden and cut whatever I need for my recipe. The flavor is wonderful :smile: