JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2010 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/)
-   -   How terrible are the "terrible twos" at your house? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/2638941-how-terrible-terrible-twos-your-house.html)

mrsdaiwa24 March 29th, 2013 11:40 AM

How terrible are the "terrible twos" at your house?

How's your toddler doing? Tantrums galore? Calm and mellow? Things winding down or are they getting worse?

:tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum:

TreeTog March 29th, 2013 11:46 AM

Re: How terrible are the "terrible twos" at your house?

My child can give the Energizer bunny a run on his money. He is going and going. He likes to push right up to the line on things.

Leslie

Kumii March 29th, 2013 06:27 PM

Pretty bad over here. Milan is incredibly bright and it does not work in our favor. I find giving him 2 choices to everything work better then just telling him what to do. Like - wanna go to bed with mom or day, pee-pee on a big potty or small, red or blue underwear. Or tell him, take this toy to the car if you get dressed. We throws a tantrum over the simplest things, mostly when he looses control. I have worked with several 2 year olds and have so far found mine to be the most difficult one. And I swear my 9 month old is starting his terrible twos already after seeing and hearing Milan.

The Jenny March 30th, 2013 04:01 AM

Mackenzie likes to cry....when she wants something and I say no or if she fights with her sister....she will curl her bottom lip and then start to cry

Countrymom4 March 30th, 2013 07:43 AM

I think we are on the downhill slide !! But this could be because of the little nicer weather and Rogan getting to go outside more. Usually he asks for toys and has started telling me he is mad(as he stomps his foot). I am liking this better than the screaming !

irish luck March 30th, 2013 10:29 AM

our attitude it getting bigger and we whine more but fingers crossed that the full out fits are getting less

mrsdaiwa24 March 30th, 2013 12:49 PM

Betsy entered her terrible twos at 1 1/2, so after a year of tantrums and all the other "fun" stuff, I think (fingers crossed!) she's finally coming out of it (but she was like that for a full year, so we're ready for a break!). I think the biggest thing for her was not being able to fully communicate her thoughts, which she can now do. She's in a pretty good daily routine, she understands the discipline routine we have, and when given choices, she handles things pretty well. It was a very long time coming, but I think we're definitely on an upswing now! :)

amonstersmomma March 30th, 2013 04:48 PM

I don't think they've been that bad at all. Maybe we're going to get hit with the terrible 3's :lol:

*MomofO&Nat* March 31st, 2013 06:07 PM

Not sure if it's terrible 2's or just natural regression because of the new baby. Natalie is throwing herself down crying all the time lately. She is also having accidents with pee mostly which she wasn't doing until recently. She has tried to bite and has successfully bitten Owen twice now when mad, also new. She has paragraph sentences but often screams out of frustration vs talking or telling us when mad. So yeah, it's bad over here!

~Kris~ April 1st, 2013 05:13 AM

Teresa doesn't have too many tantrums, but she can be naughty at times. ;) She likes to hide and honestly, she's too good at it for this age and it scares to heck out of us at times when we can't find her (this is at home only). She likes to push her limits about coming to us when we ask her to. But I'll take all those things over tantrums!

helen123 April 8th, 2013 08:25 PM

very very bad over here. My mom seems to think it's a "boy" thing since my daughter wasn't like that at this age. Michael throws tantrum over every little thing. I honestly dont' know how to deal with it. For example, today we were about to go to the store, and he saw a big broom in our backyard, and he wanted to take it with us. I told him no, and he cried for 40 min , the whole way to the store, then in the store while repeating "want broom"he entire time. I usually try to distract him but it doesn't always work. I just hope that in about 6 months it will pass.

lilybell08 April 8th, 2013 09:15 PM

Ella is so stubborn and can be really frustrating. It is worse when she is with Matthew. Matthew constantly argues with us about stuff and she is picking up on it but I do not know how to stop him from arguing. It's kind of driving me crazy and even more so since Ella copies whatever he does.

The Heather April 15th, 2013 07:42 AM

Chase has hit more of the terrible 3's than the 2's. He talks back and has attitude more than just a normal tantrum. He doesn't have any issues communicating his frustrations. I hope he gets through this phase quickly but considering his big sister still throws some fits, I'm sure it will be a while.

~SavedbyGrace~ April 15th, 2013 09:45 AM

heather your kids are adorable!!

Grace is just entering into a phase where she screams. Loudly. Trying hard to nip it in the bud now...but she is proving that to be difficult.

Austin was more of a terrible 3/4 year old..never gave me much trouble before then.

emmiejack0810 April 17th, 2013 04:55 AM

Jackson I think was born with the terrible 2's so he is nothing new...

Waiting for the Horrendous 3's so see if he makes it to 4 :-)

AtomicMama April 17th, 2013 08:06 AM

Max WHINES. A lot. He also destroys everything, but I'm not sure that is a terrible twos issue. He will cry and throw a temper tantrum that way occasionally, but usually it's just this nonstop whining about everything when he's in a bad mood.

Justjessie April 24th, 2013 04:01 PM

Since my older two never had a tantrum ever, I was due. I have Veruca Salt on my hands over there. The other day she woke up and wanted to go to Disneyworld. NOW. I just ignore her and tell her when she is done crying I'll talk to her. She'll howl for 30 minutes and then come over to hang out with me. It's grating on my nerves. The others in my house don't know how to handle it other than yelling at her and threatening her.

white.house May 6th, 2013 08:11 AM

They aren't TOO too terrible, but he is definitely wanting more independence and is showing an obstinate side. Fortunately for us he is a very good listener and he is a huge people pleaser, so usually I just have to use a stern voice and a look and he snaps back into shape with a pout.

WomanInTheMoon May 10th, 2013 05:43 PM

Have you seen the blog with the pictures of the kid screaming cause the sky was blue?

That's my kid

Memi May 10th, 2013 06:52 PM

Lots of whining happening over here. I have to calm him down pretty often and ask him to use his "big boy voice". My child is just as stubborn and independent as I am which is where almost all of his tantrums stem from.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumii (Post 27242386)
I find giving him 2 choices to everything work better then just telling him what to do. Like - wanna go to bed with mom or day, pee-pee on a big potty or small, red or blue underwear. Or tell him, take this toy to the car if you get dressed. We throws a tantrum over the simplest things, mostly when he looses control.

I have found giving two choices is the best way to avoid tantrums for Gabriel as well. However, both choices give me the end result that I'm looking for from him. For example if he's pitching a fit about not wanting to potty when I know he needs to I tell him "You have 2 choices: would you like to go potty alone or would you like for Mommy to help you?" and then he'll usually choose to do it alone. It's as if when he feels he's choosing to do something rather than being told to do it he's okay with it. :rolleyes: :sneak: Whatever works!