JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2010 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/)
-   -   Lets get technical (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/2660225-lets-get-technical.html)

Pupcake74 June 20th, 2013 07:41 PM

Lets get technical

I know a lot of the LO's around here get screen time and I'm pretty sure most of that is on a pad where they use their fingers to play. Any other LO's using an old school mouse?

Countrymom4 June 20th, 2013 09:41 PM

Re: Lets get technical

yep Rogan plays on the desktop computer for all his games. He only uses my phone when we are out and about and need the distraction. Not very often.

amonstersmomma June 21st, 2013 04:25 PM

We dont even have an old school mouse. Caleb used to use my Nook quite a bit to have books read to him, but he hasnt even touched it all summer.

mrsdaiwa24 June 21st, 2013 05:23 PM

My DH has an old school mouse, but she never uses his computer. She primarily uses the ipad so she never has access to a mouse. Won't matter -- the way technology is rapidly changing, by the time these tots hit first grade, the computer mouse will probably be obsolete.

Kumii June 23rd, 2013 05:44 PM

Nope, never even touched a mouth, but he is never on a computer either.. or maybe did when he was younger and thinking he was on the phone. He uses the tablet and the phone. Funny.. I have not even thought about this. We were just talking to DH about how we want to get him one of those old good leap frogs.. the paper one.

krsnow June 23rd, 2013 10:19 PM

I have been wondering this myself. My LO cant use an old fashioned mouse but I have only tried to show him a few times. He uses a laptop with a built in touch pad, but he cant use that either - I have to click on things for him. he loves watching you tube videos of cars & trucks, and I mainly let him do this when I have to make dinner or put the baby down for a nap. Its frustrating for me to have to click on a new video every few minutes so I wish he was able to use the touch pad.

wild&free July 1st, 2013 07:12 AM

No he doesn't use the computer. Even using the iPad or phone is pretty rare. We don't even have a mouse in our house.

AtomicMama July 1st, 2013 08:30 AM

No, but he also very rarely uses a touch screen. We have an iPad, but only use it for videos when traveling (it's a super old school iPad). He on very rare occasions will get to use my iPhone, but he just uses it to FaceTime with Elmo (it's an app) or listen to books. He doesn't play games at all. I don't really see the point. I know that technology will be a big part of their lives, but I don't see the kids being set back if they wait a few years to really understand it. He learns his fine motor skills other ways right now.

RunningWithBoys July 5th, 2013 06:42 AM

I don't introduce the mouse until late 3 or early 4. Luke may get 30 minutes a week on a touch screen device. His favorite thing to do is swipe through pictures on my phone. He could do that for hours. (Can anyone say EGO?). Anyway, at my school we have to have them proficient with a mouse by PK because some of our assessments are on the laptop, which has a mouse attached. I can say, from when I started this job 6 years ago, the amount of kids who knew how to use a mouse has dropped severely. I am teaching most of them how to move, click, and click and drag, but I am FINE with that. Even though this is my job (and passion) I don't believe kids should be in front of a computer screen. I actually prefer teaching them this skill. It means they haven't been exposed to a computer much.

But IF you are interested in teaching your child how to use a mouse, this is an excellent website. Evan learned the concept in 3 sessions (Luke won't use this website until next summer).

Headsprout: launch Mousing Around program

Here are some more resources if you'd like them!
Mouse Skill Resources for Pre-K at Internet 4 Classrooms

krsnow July 11th, 2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithBoys (Post 27498641)
I don't introduce the mouse until late 3 or early 4. Luke may get 30 minutes a week on a touch screen device. His favorite thing to do is swipe through pictures on my phone. He could do that for hours. (Can anyone say EGO?). Anyway, at my school we have to have them proficient with a mouse by PK because some of our assessments are on the laptop, which has a mouse attached. I can say, from when I started this job 6 years ago, the amount of kids who knew how to use a mouse has dropped severely. I am teaching most of them how to move, click, and click and drag, but I am FINE with that. Even though this is my job (and passion) I don't believe kids should be in front of a computer screen. I actually prefer teaching them this skill. It means they haven't been exposed to a computer much.

But IF you are interested in teaching your child how to use a mouse, this is an excellent website. Evan learned the concept in 3 sessions (Luke won't use this website until next summer).

Headsprout: launch Mousing Around program

Here are some more resources if you'd like them!
Mouse Skill Resources for Pre-K at Internet 4 Classrooms

Thanks for this info, this is great! I am going to try a few of these with my LO tomorrow.

emmiejack0810 August 7th, 2013 02:19 PM

Emmie knows how to use a mouse a little bit but they are more to the touchscree/swiping as well...

Would actually prefer them to not know how to use it in case the computer is open then they know if they don't know how to use it then they hopefully won't touch it to begin with and will be more interested in the phone or Kindle