JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2010 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/)
-   -   Snacks for the older kids? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1832-2010-playroom/2669060-snacks-for-older-kids.html)

redbirds July 30th, 2013 05:57 PM

Snacks for the older kids?

K1 starts Kindergarten in just a couple of weeks! :excited: but I have to plan lunch AND 2 snacks daily for 5 days every week!!! AAAK! I need help coming up with ideas for snacks to pack. Easy, yummy, nutritious... This is going to drive me batty by week 2, I can tell.

-Trish- August 1st, 2013 12:12 PM

Re: Snacks for the older kids?

For my going to be 5th grader I always packed pretzels, crackers, granola bar, apple slices and grapes, the yogurt tubes (I freeze them)...just a few ideas but always looking for more :)

redbirds August 1st, 2013 07:39 PM

I was also going to buy those little single serving tubs of peanut butter, with apple slices or celery some times (but those would have to be days that she doesn't have pbj for lunch). AAAK! I like the granola bar idea, she likes those. She also likes pop tarts :giggle: but we hardly buy them, and I'm not sure the school would like that as a snack ;) but they ARE easy! I was also thinking of those pudding packs, too. It's hard to come up with ideas!

wild&free August 4th, 2013 08:32 PM

Make sure the school has no issues with you bringing PBJ! I know some schools don't allow peanut products because of allergy scares.
Here are some more ideas:
Any/all fruit/veggies cut up into pieces, pretzels, crackers, nuts, muffins, biscuit with jelly, cheese cubes, pepperoni slices, yogurt...

krsnow August 6th, 2013 01:04 PM

I would be concerned about bringing peanut butter too, I know our preschool doesn't allow it. My LO loves cucumbers, so that's an idea. Also Mozarella cheese sticks. I found something interesting at the grocery store, Zone bars for kids, they are like protein\health bars but made for kids. They came in vanilla cupcake flavor and my LO loved them - they were in the vitamin isle with the adult protein bars.

AtomicMama August 12th, 2013 07:23 AM

My kids are crazy for the squeeze apple sauce/fruit sauce/Greek yogurt mixes. They come in so many flavors, too, that it's easy to mix them up. We do those a lot for snack, since they are really easy. For lunch, we used to pack a sandwich and a fruit and maybe a small treat, but now we are switching up our diet a lot, so it will be different. We got one of those Thermos containers, so I can heat up leftovers in the morning, put them in there, and they will still be warm for her when she gets to lunch. We do fruit (apples, oranges peeled, berries) and/or veggies (raw broccoli, cauliflower, freeze dried snap peas). Cheese slices and rice crackers. I'm scouring Pinterest for some good ideas :)

redbirds August 12th, 2013 11:49 AM

PBJ, fortunately, is not an issue here, even the cafeteria provides it :)

BeYoNd_ExPeCtAtIoNs January 16th, 2014 04:49 PM

hmm let me see....

Fairy bread, cut into shapes, those squeezy fruit things you get down the children's isle, raisons, fruit bars, yoghurts, pretzels, cheese and crackers, dried fruit such as apricots,banana chips and apples?

its a tough one..but im sure you will find something

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbirds (Post 27581554)
PBJ, fortunately, is not an issue here, even the cafeteria provides it :)

Aww you have had your precious wee bundle :D how cute