JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2011 Birth Stories (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1574-2011-birth-stories/)
-   -   Isabella's Amazing Acrobatics!!! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1574-2011-birth-stories/2385542-isabellas-amazing-acrobatics.html)

Jasonswife99 August 1st, 2011 09:48 AM

Isabella's Amazing Acrobatics!!!

On July 15th (my due date) we went in for a routine appointment. I had been dialated 3-4 cm for a few weeks and was anxious to see if I was making any more progress. At the appointment I asked our midwife if she could sweep my membranes. When she checked, my cervix was still at 4 cm and she started her sweep of the membranes. Suddenly she stopped and said she felt the baby's foot and that Isabella had turned into a footling breech position. She told us that we needed to get to the hospital as soon as possible because there was a doctor on the schedule that could try to turn the baby (otherwise we would have to have a c-section). We had our daughters with us at the appointment and told her we needed to take them home and grab our hospital bags. We estimated we could be back by 1 1/2 hours (the hospital/office is 1/2 hour away).

We arrived back at the hospital in 1 hr 45 min. As Jason was parking the car, I went to the labor and delivery check in desk. I saw my midwife and a doctor come out of the labor and delivery area and let them know I was just waiting on Jason to get back to the floor. The midwife told me that I was too late... Both her and the doctor had other commitments and needed to leave. I was informed that my only option at that point was a c section and they both got on the elevator and left. She was the only doctor with that hospital that would do an external version (turning the baby). Many doctors will not attempt them because they have risks associated with them and are only successful 1/2 the time. As Jason was getting of the elevator to meet me, I was scared and started crying. I was taken back to triage and placed on a monitor. I was having contractions, but did not feel them.

The attending doctor came by to do an ultrasound of the baby and confirmed that Isabella was in the footling breech position. The doctor gave us the option of doing the c section then or because I was not in labor, going home to see if Isabella would turn on her own. If we chose to go home there was the possibility that my water would break and the cord would prolapse. My husband and I only wanted what was best for the baby and were ready to consent to the c-section. One of our nurses came in to tell us she talked the charge nurse into keeping me overnight to see if Isabella would turn on her own. When we arrived in our room, I was told to get on all fours in the bed with a large bean bag under me to support my belly. Our nurse was one of the most compassionate, wonderful people I have met and I will always be grateful for all she did for us. The attending doctor came in (we thought to schedule our c-section) and told us that the doctor that could do the external version would be willing to come in the morning (8 am) to do the procedure (even though she was not scheduled to work that day). We were so excited at the possibility of not having to have the c-section...

Around 1:30 I started having contractions. They were not regular, but were starting to get uncomfortable. Jason was wonderful and was by my side, helping me breathe through the contractions. I tried to get some sleep, but it became harder as my contractions were coming quicker and stronger. Around 5:00 my contractions were coming regularly and we called the nurse. She placed me on a monitor. After talking with the charge nurse she told me to get in the tub and they would push IV fluids to try to slow the contractions. I was so scared that we were not going to make it to 8 am... The nurse brought in lavendar oil to scent the tub and Jason was by my side helping me breathe through each contraction and pouring water over my belly (which felt sooo good!) I was so relaxed and able to sleep in between contractions. At 7:30 we heard the nurses arrive in our room to make preperations for the external version. I breathed a HUGE sigh of releif... We made it!!!!

I began to get a little nervous when they brought in a smaller triage bed (so they could have more leverage! :eek:) 2 physicians, my midwife, and 2 nurses were there for the procedure. I was given a shot of terbutaline to stop my contractions and relax my uterus and my legs were placed in a frog position. We were told that there was a risk of an emergency c section if the baby did not tolorate the version well. They did an ultrasound an attempted a forward roll. It was sooo painful, but again Jason was by my side helping me through it. They were only able to turn her 3 /4 of the way. They let Isabella rest, monitored her heart tones and asked if I was up for another try. They next tried a backward roll and were successful! While the 2 doctors held the baby in position the midwife checked to make sure the cord was not in the way and ruptured my membranes. (This was at 8:15) They also put a fetal scalp monitor on Isabella.

After my membranes were ruptured, the midwife check my cervix and couldn't believe I was 7-8 cm, 90 % effaced and 0 station. While my midwife held the baby in place, the nurses scrambled to find a binder (large ace bandage type thing) to place on my stomach so Isabella would not flip again. I was told the contractions would resume in about hour-1 hour. After they placed the binder on I started having contractions (so much for the hour-1 hour rest, lol!) I had a few contractions and felt the urge to push. They checked my cervix at 8:44 am and I was completely dialated and at +1 station. I pushed through a few contractions and Isabella was born at 8:52 am. Jason helped the midwife catch Isabella as she was being born. Everything happened so fast the nurses were running around trying to get everything ready for the baby to be born.

At my 2 week appointment everyone at the office had heard of our unusual birth experience. The nurse even gave us a copy of my medical records to put in Isabella's baby book, lol! My midwife told us she will never forget our birth. She couldn't believe I was in active labor, the contractions were stopped just long enough to turn the baby and she was born so quickly after! We didn't have the birth we had planned for, but God was watching over us and we are so thankful for our healthy baby girl and her amazing birth!

AlaskaMom August 3rd, 2011 08:51 PM

Re: Isabella's Amazing Acrobatics!!!

Hi! I'm visiting from October and just wanted to say, what a fantastic story! So glad the doctor was able to come back for the version and it worked so well. Congrats on your baby girl.

CherZ August 4th, 2011 07:37 AM

Popping in from Aug. DDC - I can't believe the experience you had! Amazing how it all worked out and am so glad Isabella arrived safely!

justjaQ January 19th, 2012 06:56 PM

congratulations! what a wonderful story! i'm glad you had such wonderful and supportive staff to help with your birth. :)