JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2011 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/)
-   -   Favorite pregnancy book? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/2113217-favorite-pregnancy-book.html)

SimplyMrs.L September 24th, 2010 09:11 AM

Favorite pregnancy book?

Do you have a favorite pregnancy book? I have What to Expect and I have skimmed through it but I'm not loving it. I just ordered Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy for a fun read, but I can't find any other informational books that are catching my eye.

Babybear4 September 24th, 2010 10:06 AM

Re: Favorite pregnancy book?

I don't really like any of the informational ones I have seen, because they all seem to focus on the bad things that could happen during a pregnancy.

I have heard Belly Laughs is a great book! I might get that this pregnancy.

romasposa September 24th, 2010 10:12 AM

I like the Week by Week one. It doesn't delve too much into the bad stuff. Surprisingly, the first year week by week book was pretty much right on. My DS followed the weeks pretty closely. I was surprised.

Wehadamoment September 24th, 2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babybear4 (Post 21622576)
I don't really like any of the informational ones I have seen, because they all seem to focus on the bad things that could happen during a pregnancy.

I have heard Belly Laughs is a great book! I might get that this pregnancy.

I agree!!

pumpkinseed September 24th, 2010 10:57 AM

Definitely NOT a fan of the What to Expect books. I stopped reading that one after my very first pregnancy. Some on my reading list:

Husband-Coached Childbirth - By Dr. Robert Bradley

The Pregnancy Book & The Birth Book - By Dr. Sears

The Baby Catcher - By Peggy Vincent...one of my favorites!

BobbityBoo September 24th, 2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommynina (Post 21623124)
Definitely NOT a fan of the What to Expect books. I stopped reading that one after my very first pregnancy. Some on my reading list:

Husband-Coached Childbirth - By Dr. Robert Bradley

The Pregnancy Book & The Birth Book - By Dr. Sears

The Baby Catcher - By Peggy Vincent...one of my favorites!

Just lurking before I test... but I love those. I'm reading Pregnancy, Child-birth and the Newborn by Penny Simkin and Ann Keppler. Great book! Lots of info with a neutral POV, and does not focus on all the bad stuff! Great for anyone, not just 1st time moms!

Wehadamoment September 24th, 2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobittyBoo (Post 21625425)
Just lurking before I test... but I love those. I'm reading Pregnancy, Child-birth and the Newborn by Penny Simkin and Ann Keppler. Great book! Lots of info with a neutral POV, and does not focus on all the bad stuff! Great for anyone, not just 1st time moms!

Hope I see you posting here a lot more Bethany love!! :hug:

BobbityBoo September 24th, 2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wehadamoment (Post 21625589)
Hope I see you posting here a lot more Bethany love!! :hug:

Aww! Me too!! Even though I'm probably crazy for wishing it!

msshamis23 September 24th, 2010 03:53 PM

Lurking here before I test too, but

Belly Laugh's is great!

Also The Girlfriends guide to pregnancy (Is super awesome, hilarious, and a great read. It's not about being a girlfriend and pregnant, it's like talking to your girlfriends while pregnant)

:)

samantharae September 24th, 2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msshamis23 (Post 21626432)
Lurking here before I test too, but

Belly Laugh's is great!

Also The Girlfriends guide to pregnancy (Is super awesome, hilarious, and a great read. It's not about being a girlfriend and pregnant, it's like talking to your girlfriends while pregnant)

:)

i am also lurking before i test.

i LOVE belly laughs & the girlfriends guide to pregnancy. belly laughs & baby laughs both had me ROLLING! DH thought I was crazy [:

MandyRS September 25th, 2010 02:18 AM

Another lurker here (I usually don't lurk but my hopes are high this cycle for some reason :) ) ... I have read so many pregnancy books; it's my secret addiction! :lol: I love Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth. It's half pregnancy and birth talk, half birth stories... and the birth stories all make me cry EVERY TIME! So empowering and lovely. I highly recommend it!

pumpkinseed September 25th, 2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobittyBoo (Post 21625425)

I'll have to check that one out too. Thanks! I hope you get a BFP so you can join us here!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandyt (Post 21629796)
Another lurker here (I usually don't lurk but my hopes are high this cycle for some reason :) ) ... I have read so many pregnancy books; it's my secret addiction! :lol: I love Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth. It's half pregnancy and birth talk, half birth stories... and the birth stories all make me cry EVERY TIME! So empowering and lovely. I highly recommend it!

Adding this one to my list! Thanks for the suggestion! Best of luck to you on your TTC journey!:)

Mommy2AandM September 25th, 2010 05:43 PM

"What to Expect" scared me to death the first time around. I don't think it was meant as a cover to cover read -- but that's what I did!

I liked "Belly Laughs," but I also really liked the pregnancy week by week book. It was much more positive!