JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2011 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/)
-   -   Bread Pudding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/2222144-bread-pudding.html)

Caelen January 18th, 2011 11:51 AM

Bread Pudding

My grandma used to make bread pudding all the time. I got this recipe from a mamapedia email today and though I'd pass it on. It is relatively cheap to make and yummy yummy. Good breakfast type food.

Preparation:
1 loaf of old French bread or whatever leftover dried out bread you can scrounge up
2 cups milk
1 cup half & half
cup sugar
1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
dash of salt
stick of butter
3 eggs

Topping:
cup granulated sugar
teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter the baking dish. (I used a 10 x 6 oval dish.)
Tear up enough bread to fill your baking dish.

In a small saucepan, heat the milk, half & half, sugar, cinnamon, salt and butter until just melted and combine.

Pour the milk over the bread and submerge any floating pieces with a fork. Let the bread sit this way for about 5 minutes.

In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and then pour them over the bread mixture.
Carefully mix the eggs into the bread until it is well incorporated. I say careful, because if you are too aggressive, the whole thing will turn into mush. You want the bread pieces to remain whole and as distinct as possible.

For the topping, mix the sugar and cinnamon together and then scatter it over the top of the bread. This will make a nice, thick layer. You might look at it and think it is too much. But trust me, it bakes into a crispy, crunchy layer that makes the whole dessert.

Because this is a custard, I recommend baking it in a water bath. Prepare some boiling water. Place the baking dish into a slightly larger baking dish. Put them in the oven together. Then carefully pour the boiling water into the larger baking dish so that it comes about half way up the bread pudding dish.

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean(ish).

CAREFULLY remove the baking dish. I remove the water bath and the baking dish carefully to the counter and then carefully remove the baking dish. You might be able to lift the bread pudding out of the water and leave the water in the oven to cool before removing it. Either way, be very careful of the sloshing water pan. Some of the sugar may still be white and dry on top at the end of the baking time.

Allow the bread pudding to rest 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

Rabbit8 January 18th, 2011 03:26 PM

Re: Bread Pudding

That sounds really yummy! I may have to have Dave pick up a loaf of French bread so I can make this. I haven't had bread pudding in I don't know how long, it's a yummy dessert for sure. :)

Caelen January 23rd, 2011 10:52 AM

Re: Bread Pudding

I make it with left over bread of any kind. Its really good when I have left over cinnamon raisin bread from the bread machine.