JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2011 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/)
-   -   Extreme Couponing??? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/2296657-extreme-couponing.html)

Ahari April 6th, 2011 06:31 PM

Extreme Couponing???

Uhm, I am so going to start couponing..:o..Anyone with me?

SewDivine April 6th, 2011 06:33 PM

Re: Extreme Couponing???

I have been doing it for over a year now. It's pretty awesome, I say DO IT. Helps us save so much money. I usually get about 60-80 dollars worth for about 5 to 10 dollars. So not as the ladies on tv, but works for us.

irishblessing April 6th, 2011 06:48 PM

I'm trying it! Not extremely though, just looking for ones that we can use.

CouponClipper April 6th, 2011 07:54 PM

I've always shopped using coupons, thanks to my grandma for instilling that habit. Hence the name. LOL Every Sun grandma and I clip our coupons together, trade, and check out the weekly sales papers from the local grocery stores. I will be watching the show though for some more tips on saving more and which websites to check out etc. Using coupons really does add up and save you money.

socalchick April 6th, 2011 08:01 PM

I'm with ya!! :)

FallinWoman April 6th, 2011 08:06 PM

I love couponing....although I am not extreme!

I pay nothing for toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, floss, shaving cream, razors, contact solution. Good brands, too.

PurpleQueen April 6th, 2011 08:59 PM

sheesh i duno how people do it .. i did online printable coupons and saved like 3 bucks ... not sure im a pro lol really didnt save much

soImarriedAnerd April 7th, 2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallinWoman (Post 23567903)
I love couponing....although I am not extreme!

I pay nothing for toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, floss, shaving cream, razors, contact solution. Good brands, too.

i just started this week couponing. I need pretty much all the above...so share your tips!
Hotcouponworld.com so far has been my best help!

way2gomom April 7th, 2011 09:01 AM

Is Extreme Couponing that TV show I've heard about on cable?

afullcup.com is one of my faves and so is couponmom.com, but you have to watch out if you are going to say Walmart and you are making a shopping list based on couponmom because our local store never has the same prices. One of my friends didn't realize it because she didn't have the price list with her when she went, so she ended up spending way more than she expected.

I'm bummed because my coupon connection has run dry. DH used to have an aunt who was able to get extra inserts from where she worked. She would go through them, then pass them to FIL, who passed them to me. I got 8 deodorants free one week... but she's not working there anymore so now I have to buy multiple copies of the newspaper.

.stargirl. April 7th, 2011 09:40 AM

Joanna, yes, it premiered on TLC last night.

I really like using coupons and I've been trying to get more into it. It can really help save a lot of money. I am definitely not as extreme as the people on the show though. The most I saved through just coupons once was $30 and I was so proud...but the whole bill was still over $100. I'm currently making our grocery list and am going to search for coupons for the items we need.

If anyone has any good or helpful tips, do share!

FallinWoman April 7th, 2011 09:56 AM

1. Get the Sunday paper coupon inserts. I buy several papers and get extras from my mom and her neighbor.

I file the entire insert by week in a filing cabinet. I do not cut anything out until I know I need it. Some people cut out everything or everything they might need and use baseball card holders in a binder. That way you always have your coupons with you. I found that to be too much work with a baby to take care of!

2. Sign up with companies online. Like Proctor and Gamble, or Johnson&Johnson....any company you ever buy stuff from. They will send coupons from time to time. I have a yahoo email I use just for couponing. Also check coupons.com for coupons you can print.

3. hotcouponworld.com is a great place to help you match coupons to sales. That is how you get things for free. I also found a blog that is all about couponing in St. Louis, so it is accurate for my local stores. Sometimes prices vary in differnent areas of the country, so hotcouponworld isn't always perfect for me.

4. I get my free health and beauty stuff mostly from Walgreens and CVS. We do not have Rite Aid, but there are good deals to be had there, too. They all often have items for free or cheap. If you can combine that with a coupon, even better! I got hooked when I got PAID to take home diapers while pregnant with DS. Too bad that deal hasn't come around again!

Example deal from CVS this week. Buy Complete Multipurpose Contact Solution for $8.99 plus tax. Use $1 off coupon from the insert on 4/3/11. Pay $7.99 plus tax. Get back a coupon for $8.99 off your next purchase. Net price?? MONEYMAKER!

5. Stockpiling. The idea is that most things go on sale every 12 weeks or so. So when something is on sale, you should buy enough to last you 12 weeks. This is where the extreme couponers go wrong. Do you really need 100 candy bars or 100 boxes of cereal at a time? NO. Plus normal people don't have that kind of space. So you buy enough to last 3 months or so. AND.....buying things you don't use isn't a bargain...even if it is free. THis can be hard to remember when you are in the thrill of the deal!

My exceptions to the 12 week rule.....shampoo and conditioner. I just don't get the amazing deals that frequently, so when it is 25 cents or less, I buy as much as I can with the coupons I already have. Then I don't have to buy at full price (NEVER!) or even when it is on sale for $1. We just use from our stockpile until the next 25 cent or less sale comes along.

Anyway....I hope some of this was helpful!

Ahari April 7th, 2011 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallinwoman (Post 23572179)
1. Get the sunday paper coupon inserts. I buy several papers and get extras from my mom and her neighbor.

I file the entire insert by week in a filing cabinet. I do not cut anything out until i know i need it. Some people cut out everything or everything they might need and use baseball card holders in a binder. That way you always have your coupons with you. I found that to be too much work with a baby to take care of!

2. Sign up with companies online. Like proctor and gamble, or johnson&johnson....any company you ever buy stuff from. They will send coupons from time to time. I have a yahoo email i use just for couponing. Also check coupons.com for coupons you can print.

3. Hotcouponworld.com is a great place to help you match coupons to sales. That is how you get things for free. I also found a blog that is all about couponing in st. Louis, so it is accurate for my local stores. Sometimes prices vary in differnent areas of the country, so hotcouponworld isn't always perfect for me.

4. I get my free health and beauty stuff mostly from walgreens and cvs. We do not have rite aid, but there are good deals to be had there, too. They all often have items for free or cheap. If you can combine that with a coupon, even better! I got hooked when i got paid to take home diapers while pregnant with ds. Too bad that deal hasn't come around again!

Example deal from cvs this week. Buy complete multipurpose contact solution for $8.99 plus tax. Use $1 off coupon from the insert on 4/3/11. Pay $7.99 plus tax. Get back a coupon for $8.99 off your next purchase. Net price?? Moneymaker!

5. Stockpiling. The idea is that most things go on sale every 12 weeks or so. So when something is on sale, you should buy enough to last you 12 weeks. This is where the extreme couponers go wrong. Do you really need 100 candy bars or 100 boxes of cereal at a time? No. Plus normal people don't have that kind of space. So you buy enough to last 3 months or so. And.....buying things you don't use isn't a bargain...even if it is free. This can be hard to remember when you are in the thrill of the deal!

My exceptions to the 12 week rule.....shampoo and conditioner. I just don't get the amazing deals that frequently, so when it is 25 cents or less, i buy as much as i can with the coupons i already have. Then i don't have to buy at full price (never!) or even when it is on sale for $1. We just use from our stockpile until the next 25 cent or less sale comes along.

Anyway....i hope some of this was helpful!

wow... Thanks

Ladies, I am so excited! I watched the same shows over and over last night bc I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I agree some of it seemed crazy like the guy with 2,000 boxes of cereal and the lady with 212 boxes of pasta wouldn't they expire? We should start a couponing group where we share our finds or whatever they do in coupon groups. Some of you are already pros so u can teach us newbies. I downloaded some coupons from Kroger.com, cellfire.com and shortcuts.com and added them to my kroger plus card.

.stargirl. April 7th, 2011 11:16 AM

^^ Yeah, or the lady who bought 60+ bottles of mustard...her husband said he didn't even eat mustard. That's a little overkill, IMO.

I am inspired to start searching harder for coupons now. I used to go to hotcouponworld.com, so I'll check that out again. I wish we had a Kroger here, it seems like most of those people do go to Kroger. There were several where I used to live and I always did all my shopping there.

way2gomom April 7th, 2011 11:23 AM

A lot of people will give items that they get for free or very cheap to homeless shelters, women's shelters, food pantries or soup kitchens.

Price book - very important. Do you know what a good price is for the things you buy? This is one of the things that frequently snags newbies. To save the most money, you need to buy at the best sale price with a coupon. Some people save their receipts and keep track of the prices of the items they buy most over time, some people record from the ads or going in to the stores. It can take a while to build your price book, but it's a very helpful tool. It can be important for you to make your own, because stores do vary in prices. But there are some sites that will have price books for your store or general area, so you can google too. If you have a price book, you can save money even without coupons, too.

Here are some links on how to build a price book:
Make A Price Book: Power Tool For Supermarket Savings! | Organized Home
The Price Book
Starting a Price Book

soImarriedAnerd April 7th, 2011 11:42 AM

^^Yeah I haven't been food shopping in the USA for years... holly cow prices have changed! I now know nothing for prices. :(

Rachel April 7th, 2011 11:49 AM

I do the CVS thing, but that's about it.

I'm not diligent or motivated enough to do more. Plus I don't have the storage capacity for all that crap.

Ahari April 7th, 2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .stargirl. (Post 23573179)
^^ Yeah, or the lady who bought 60+ bottles of mustard...her husband said he didn't even eat mustard. That's a little overkill, IMO.

I am inspired to start searching harder for coupons now. I used to go to hotcouponworld.com, so I'll check that out again. I wish we had a Kroger here, it seems like most of those people do go to Kroger. There were several where I used to live and I always did all my shopping there.

If I am not mistaken Kroger has affiliate stores so if you have any of the following near you Good Luck
Supermarkets - Kroger, Ralphs, Dillons, Smith's, King Soopers, Fry's, QFC, City Market, Hilander, Owen's, Jay C, Pay Less, Baker's, Gerbes, Scott's Food & Pharmacy.

Oh and the chick who took all the mustards but 1 was totally overkill I would of been upset to go to the store and look for the sale item and there was only 1.

petalfuzz April 7th, 2011 03:53 PM

DH and I wanted to watch that show but we forgot. DH is downloading it ;)

We don't use coupons--but we also don't buy brand name stuff either. When Aldi first came here, I shopped both Aldi and my regular store who offered gas discounts. At Aldi I saved over $7, while at the other store, I would've spent $7 more and only earned $1 off for gas. I switched to shopping at Aldi almost exclusively.

I also mostly buy raw ingredients and cook from scratch. that's why coupons dont do it for me: they're mostly for prepared foods or toiletries. Boring!

katiemama April 7th, 2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallinWoman (Post 23572179)
5. Stockpiling. The idea is that most things go on sale every 12 weeks or so. So when something is on sale, you should buy enough to last you 12 weeks. This is where the extreme couponers go wrong. Do you really need 100 candy bars or 100 boxes of cereal at a time? NO. Plus normal people don't have that kind of space. So you buy enough to last 3 months or so. AND.....buying things you don't use isn't a bargain...even if it is free. THis can be hard to remember when you are in the thrill of the deal!

This is what kills me about the show. It becomes a hoarding issue - the people I saw on the show seem a bit insane, to be honest. Their homes turn into a mini Costco with 1/2 of the items sitting there for a VERY long time, probably being wasted. And the quality of their eating must be horrific!

There was one guy who would turn his items frequently and give to his church, food banks, etc. I dug that guy!

I'm a fresh veggies person. I hit up my local farmers markets and such. But I'm really into several coupon deals and I'd like to get better at shopping with coupons. Thank you so much for the tips. :)

andi2284 April 7th, 2011 05:53 PM

I don't do extreme couponing but I do save a lot with them. I save less than many people because I only shop one store. I don't have the time or energy to go to 5+ stores every week. I use a local blog that does matchups every week, so I try to match sales with coupons to get items at the best price. That would be my best tip, try to find a local blog or website that does matchups and they will sometimes point you to internet coupons and other good deals you would usually miss.

Occasionally I get free items, other times I pay very little. We have a small pantry and just a small set of shelves in our basement to stock up, so I try to only get enough to last us until the next sale.