JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2011 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/)
-   -   Cats take baby's breath away.... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/2309628-cats-take-babys-breath-away.html)

Mom2twolittlemen April 22nd, 2011 06:53 AM

Cats take baby's breath away....

Anyone really paranoid of this?

With my first, I actually gave my cat to my brother for him to care for her when Bradley was 6 weeks. My cat was my "daughter", my furbaby, my world :lol: . She was my baby girl. When Bradley was born she was showing signs of resentment, hiding, hissing at others, etc. I didn't risk it one minute. I believe in that old saying and was fearful that one day I would wake up and TJ would be in Bradley's crib and he would smothered. He was in his crib from day 1. I am also one to NOT trust animals. Still to this day, I am very cautious about any dogs or large animals with Bradley. The few dog bites I saw as an ER nurse was one too many for me. Call me freak, I know I am.. lol. We do not have any cats at this point or dogs. Until we are done TTC I think we will then venture into animals again.

What are your thoughts?

Racheal 2010 April 22nd, 2011 06:57 AM

Re: Cats take baby's breath away....

I have a cat that I got about a year ago. I have already told hubby and my daughter that we will have to see how bandit does with the baby. If I catch him doing anything strange he is outta here. I honestly may just find him a home before baby comes. I feel bad but he already is very tempermental and hisses at strangers when they come over. My family comes first.

P.S. I'm not trying to debate with anyone who feels I am wrong or cruel.

MLG April 22nd, 2011 06:59 AM

I don't know I necessarily believe they will take the breath away. But I think the cat may hiss, bite, scratch the baby if it doesn't adjust well to him/her being in the house. But I also believe that any animal will react that way if they don't make a good transition to the baby being in the house.

applejacks April 22nd, 2011 07:11 AM

My cats are about 18 pounds each (not fat, they are maine coons) and they love to cuddle, especially at night. I was worried about them trying to get into bed with baby but I found a cat cover for the cradle during the day and cats wont be allowed in baby's room. They are very calm and adjust well to other animals and people, so I'm hoping that they adjust to baby. However, if they do show any signs of aggression we'll find them a new home.

MLG April 22nd, 2011 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by applejacks (Post 23708954)
My cats are about 18 pounds each (not fat, they are maine coons) and they love to cuddle, especially at night. I was worried about them trying to get into bed with baby but I found a cat cover for the cradle during the day and cats wont be allowed in baby's room. They are very calm and adjust well to other animals and people, so I'm hoping that they adjust to baby. However, if they do show any signs of aggression we'll find them a new home.

We didn't have a cover, but that is what we did. We had 3 cats when DD was born and now have 2. The 3rd was abused severely when we rescued him. We worked with him for years to get him to be friendly and less aggressive. Well, when DD was about 5-6m old, we started to see a change in his behavior because we no longer had the same amount of time to work with him daily and we were worried that if we continued in the direction he was going, that he would be the same mean cat we rescued a few years before that. As a result, we gave him to a good friend of mine who was looking to rescue a cat from a shelter. It was the right decision to make for everyone involved.

mom2moose April 22nd, 2011 07:23 AM

I don't believe they take their breaths away, but yes, I imagine they could lay on a newborns face and suffocate it. I mean, a newborn isn't really strong enough to pull away. Having said that, I don't have a cat anymore and haven't since before I had kids. I DO have a 110 pound St. Bernard who would die before hurting my daughter. He's a gently giant. Sometimes, she's in his face and pulls his hair (which I yell at her for, because it's OUR job as parents to teach them how to treat animals, and it's important that they're nice) He has NEVER even growled at her. He'll bark, to get my attention, when he's had enough. Usually, he just gets up and walks away from her.

JeCaLe April 22nd, 2011 07:28 AM

Since we couldn't lock our cats out of the baby's room (he was in our master bedroom which was a second story open loft), we bought the crib tent and it worked wonders. I don't think I could have slept knowing a cat was in his crib. We are in a different place now, and just shut the cats out when DS is in his crib.

We did not have any problem with aggression with them or we would have gotten rid of them at the blink of an eye. They just get up and leave when they don't want to be near him.

Hazel April 22nd, 2011 07:45 AM

I don't believe cats steal a baby's breath. But like any other creature, they can get resentful or scared and react to a major change like a new baby so we always worked to help our cat transition to the new little person in the house :) If our cat had not been able to handle having a new person in the house, we would have found a child-free home for him--it wouldn't have been fair to him to make him live in constant stress! But our cat loves our kids :) He is very very protective of them and will come and tell me if someone is crying (even if I'm right there--I sometimes think he doesn't trust that I can hear them :lol:) or will come get me if someone is breaking a major rule (he alerted me that the toddler was attempting to climb the bunk bed ladder--we modified the ladder so he couldn't climb it). He's incredibly patient and will tolerate the rough petting and fur-pulling as the baby learns how to interact with kitty. He is devoted to those kids :) And if they become overwhelming, he has hiding spots all through the house :lol:

Merridith April 22nd, 2011 08:04 AM

This made me LOL because my MIL was terrified when I had my son because she was convinced that my kitties would steal my baby's breath. I had never heard of such a thing until her. :rolleyes:

I think I'm against the norm here...we have a cat and four inside dogs. And I would never get rid of one of our animals. I can't fault someone else for doing it if they feel like they have to, but once our animals are on board they are here to stay. Again, I don't fault anyone for making the decision to get rid of an animal for the sake of the baby though. ;)

Cwright April 22nd, 2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merridith (Post 23709431)
This made me LOL because my MIL was terrified when I had my son because she was convinced that my kitties would steal my baby's breath. I had never heard of such a thing until her. :rolleyes:

I think I'm against the norm here...we have a cat and four inside dogs. And I would never get rid of one of our animals. I can't fault someone else for doing it if they feel like they have to, but once our animals are on board they are here to stay. Again, I don't fault anyone for making the decision to get rid of an animal for the sake of the baby though. ;)

I'm right there with you. I have three cats who are my children, maybe they are different from other cats but they are just the sweetest animals I've owned. I plan to just keep my bedroom door closed for the first few months (as baby will be sleeping in my room) but I don't plan on keeping baby away from the cats. I don't want them to think that I've replaced them or that we don't love them anymore. My Mother told me that her cat slept in the crib with both my brother and I, so I'm not too worried about my baby being smothered. :rolleyes:

wwwmom2011 April 22nd, 2011 09:50 AM

Well this is our first time around with a cat and needless to say I'm nervous with new baby "w" coming along. I love this cat but wont hesitate of putting him outside or anything if it even considers anything crazy with this baby.

momie2b9-20-11 April 22nd, 2011 10:03 AM

I have NO cats in the house (I was raised in a family that didn't care for cats). And, when having allergy tests done I found out I'm allergic to them. But, I am somewhat worried about my in-laws cat - he is very moody! But, we'll see. Plus, I don't know if baby's have allergies that early on, but I'd hate for her to be allergic to cats also.

Mom2twolittlemen April 22nd, 2011 11:08 AM

Thanks fo all the opinions everyone! I like to hear everyone's side of it. I personally, after having a child have totally changed my opinions about animals. Now, he comes first no matter what. Back in the day before he was born, I would've thought it was more equal. So until I can not have to worry so much about animal bites, scratches, and cats sitting on my sleepign baby... we will refrain and stick to fish :lol: .

bayhay April 22nd, 2011 12:58 PM

We had just planned on keeping the door closed wherever the baby was sleeping (first in our room, then in the nursery) but I hadn't heard of crib covers to keep cats from jumping in. I'll have to look into those.

MsSilverSpec April 22nd, 2011 02:30 PM

I've never owned a cat but we considered getting one when DS was about 6 weeks old. But once I heard of them jumping on babies and laying on them, I totally nixed the idea. I know that always doesnt happen but still I was worried!

DH grew up with cats when he was an infant and all turned out well. Just have to introduce the cat to the baby the right way, and just keep watch of any bad behavior.

Andrea1122 April 22nd, 2011 02:53 PM

We have 2 cats, and i would never consider getting rid of them. I dont forsee any issues with them anyhow, we got them so young(5weeks)and are very friendly. They are used to small kids, since DS was just 1 when we got them.. We had 2 cats when DD was born and again, never had any issues..

MLG April 22nd, 2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merridith (Post 23709431)

I agree with you that our animals are just as much a part of our family as the rest of us. We still have 2 dogs and our other 2 cats. But we got rid of our 1 cat because we felt we were doing him a great disservice by not having the attention to work with him like we used to. We saw how much progress he had made and also saw how much he was regressing and knew it was OUR fault. In that case we felt it was better for both him and us to find him a new home. I would never have taken him to a shelter or anything, but the person who took him was one of my BFFs and I knew she would give him a great home without kids. So it was a win win for everyone.

MarisaKay April 22nd, 2011 02:59 PM

I had a cat when DS1 was born and that cat loved my son sooo much. She loved him so much I caught her sleeping in his crib on top of him! She wasnt on his face but right across his belly.I know she wasnt trying to hurt the baby, she always purred and just wanted to be by him. I hated to do it but we gave her to a wonderful older lady we knew who needed a companion. We even get to visit her once in awhile. I just couldn't trust the cat anymore. :(

TVmom April 22nd, 2011 03:07 PM

I actually have a nasty cat. She is sweet to us but mean as can be to anyone else who comes in our house. When we brought home DS (#1) she was very annoyed and started acting like a jealous older sybling, jumping up on the counters when i was nursing, that sort of thing. But she never once tried to hurt the baby. When #2 came along, the cat was even less pleased but she left DD alone too. But if we have a sitter or my parents come to stay the cat stands guard over the children the whole time. To this day she has never scratched or bitten my children. I think most animals can sense when it's a baby and know to be gental.

lorelai'smom April 22nd, 2011 03:55 PM

i don't believe cat's take the baby's breath away. Before my daughter was born we had three cats & they were fine with her. But i did invest in the net that goes over the crib so they couldn't get in with. I now have one cat & one kitten & i will be doing same thing with this one. My cats are very good with kids