JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2011 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/)
-   -   Supplementing and Strictly pumping (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/2353056-supplementing-and-strictly-pumping.html)

ThatsMumma2U June 18th, 2011 08:38 AM

Supplementing and Strictly pumping

I am devastated, but this is what we are having to do now. Thoughts on how to keep my supply up to get the most out of pumping?

sapna2011 June 18th, 2011 09:36 AM

Re: Supplementing and Strictly pumping

I am sorry you're going through this. have you tried fenugreek(sp?) it really helped me when I had my son in 2006.

LisaG825 June 18th, 2011 12:28 PM

pump every 1-2 hours and when you don't have any more milk come out keep pumping for another 2-5 minutes. That is what the LC told me to do.

mami2three June 18th, 2011 09:31 PM

Cat, I started exclusively pumping at about 2 1/2 weeks and only got about 3/4 of an ounce out of BOTH breasts at first, I just pumped as much as possible and eventually after a week and a half I was up to nearly 4 oz per pumping session. Aria doesn't drink but about 2-3 oz when I give her a bottle, so I figure its enough :) On the bright side, today I didn't pump at all- we have eased off of the pumping and back on to the breast and she seems to be doing okay? FINGERS CROSSED (and toes)
Something that helped me was to compress the breast a little while pumping- also do you have a good pump? And make sure to fiddle with your settings- I actually get MORE milk when I have the suction on the lowest setting. Lina told me to eat oatmeal, and I drink water by the gallons :) Did they figure out why she wasn't getting the milk out of you? DId they check for tongue tie? Just curious :)

ThatsMumma2U June 19th, 2011 09:34 AM

When we went to WIC she was weighing heavier after nursing so she was getting something, but unfortunately the hospital here is so anti bf and pro formula it's crazy. I have a Lansinoh Manual that I get about 1/2 an ounce total out of both breasts when I pump. And a Playtex double electric that doesn't seem to be working well, I might need to call the manufacturer to see what's going on. I was telling Lina that I have woken up to my shirt soaked in breast milk a few times and even will have milk just pouring from my breasts if I'm trying to give her a bottle. I am trying the oatmeal now and getting mothers tea this week. I'm also going to talk to my OB Monday about Domperidome to help with supply. She loves to go to the breast again, and will suck on my boobs for hours if given the chance.

(I was told by the hospital LC that I was over pumping and trying to feed her and reducing my supply. I was pumping every hour and nursing her on demand. So I don't know at this point.)

richmond_girl June 19th, 2011 11:18 AM

Are you drinking enough water? Make sure you are drinking at least 16oz every hour and especially before each pumping session. I've heard good things about the oatmeal cookies too. Also you may want to look into renting a commercial grade pump, especially if your electric one isn't working. I rented the Symphony Medela for a few months with DS and it worked wonders. I'd get 8oz per session versus the 3-4oz that I'd get with my regular PIS. Just something to consider. Hope things get better for you...

ThatsMumma2U June 19th, 2011 11:39 AM

Thank you. I'm drinking a lot of water! I normally do a bottle right before and a bottle during and a bottle after. I just pumped and got an ounce! I will have to do the oatmeal cookies. I love oatmeal cookies!

Peace.Love.Pepsi June 19th, 2011 10:37 PM

Hugs hun, you know where i stand and get ahold of me ANY time for anything you need!!

ThatsMumma2U June 20th, 2011 08:17 AM

Lina I sent you a message on FB.