JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2011 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/)
-   -   Proof our health care system is **** up. (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/2353273-proof-our-health-care-system-up.html)

SpankyMagoo June 18th, 2011 03:04 PM

Proof our health care system is **** up.

A couple weeks ago, I went into L&D... just to get monitored cause I was having contractions. I went in... lied in their bed for an hour with the monitor on... and they stuck a piece of paper in my pee. That was it. No cervical check. No blood work. No nothin... just get watched for an hour.

Today I got the bill.... $1500.

REALLY!? What exactly do you think you deserve $1500 bucks for!?!?! The nurse checked on me maybe 3 times for 30 seconds while I was on the monitor... then stuck the lil piece of paper in my pee and sent me home.

Now, I only have to pay $150... but no wonder our healthcare system is so messed up!!!!

I am totally amazed.

ahruska June 18th, 2011 03:07 PM

Re: Proof our health care system is **** up.

I totally agree! When DH broke his elbow and had to have outpatient surgery and CT scans it was tens of thousands of dollars. Can you imagine if you had some major surgery or cancer that required tons of treatment. It's unreal how much they can charge.

Quantum_Leap June 18th, 2011 03:08 PM

Yup, yup, yup. I couldn't agree with you more. For the last few years we've only had international health insurance coverage (two different policies), since we've been living abroad and that's what's provided by the school. Guess what they all say? "We provide coverage in every country of the world except the United States." All of them. You simply cannot buy international health insurance coverage that will cover you in the U.S., because our medical costs here are beyond insanity. It's atrocious, and appalling, and a downright crime.

I am very glad that you don't have to pay the full $1500 bill, but still. Our system needs changing, that's for sure!

breathing for two June 18th, 2011 03:17 PM

Last pregnancy they charged me $1000 for the contraction monitor alone, and it kept slipping off and being otherwise worthless. I can't remember what the bill came to, but I know I ended up paying $300+

w292737 June 18th, 2011 03:21 PM

I'm surprised you even got charged? around here they can't submit a L&D charge without admitting you, and they won't admit you to L&D for monitoring.

Demetria June 18th, 2011 04:31 PM

I haven't gotten my bill yet, I wonder how much it will be, I already have a huge stack of bills that I have to pay for, random things like labs and such....Yes the health care system is ridiculous!

sierrasmommy June 18th, 2011 04:52 PM

UGH! I got monitored for 30 min. a week or two ago, they took my pee and the nurse checked me. I am Not excited about getting that bill. I plan on waiting until I am 100% sure I am in real labor next time I go in (unless there's no baby movement or something else) now that I know these contractions aren't doing anything.

CherishC June 18th, 2011 06:01 PM

I know its so crazy how much they charge you.. I don't even wanna know what a years worth of bills are for me and esp now.

Loving6 June 18th, 2011 06:17 PM

They really put it to people with health insurance coverage to cover people without insurance.It's not fair but that is how they make their money back.Plus you can get an itemized bill to be sure you was only charged for the care you did get.

Kelsie June 18th, 2011 06:18 PM

Yeah, and try not having insurance. I still owe $5,500 for Ollie's one night hospital stay. Then all of Lucy's recent x-rays and u/s's....and of course...everything for this baby. Self employeed insurance is way too expensive though. So we're stuck.

raeraed June 18th, 2011 06:41 PM

Wow!! That is insane!! And I thought it was ridiculous that my dr charges the same for nonstress tests as she does ultrasounds! (I have nst's every week)

*~Amanda~* June 18th, 2011 07:20 PM

I would be mad getting a bill like that. Now I did get a bill for my 20 week u/s. It was $1100 cause the midwife coded it wrong and TriCare doesn't pay for "routine" u/s. I did that u/s in lieu of doing all the other genetic testing. Of course TriCare still considered that "routine". They don't consider the risk of preterm labors/births or prior preterm labors/births enough of a reason to do an u/s.

The govt really needs to get their heads out of their arses and figure out our healthcare system so that people can get the care that they need without having to pay an arm, leg and the first born child.

MissImpatientlyWaiting June 18th, 2011 07:29 PM

Yep I totally agree. Thankfully I have medicaid, if I didn't there is no way I could handle these bills alone. I had an ultrasound at 34 weeks because I was measuring small. Caleb was fine of course but I caught a glimpse of the paper before I handed it to the receptionist $600 for the ultrasound alone! Seriously that much just for running that little thing over my belly! Insane!!!

Quantum_Leap June 18th, 2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loving4 (Post 24173268)
They really put it to people with health insurance coverage to cover people without insurance.It's not fair but that is how they make their money back.Plus you can get an itemized bill to be sure you was only charged for the care you did get.

Yeah, but they never tell you ahead of time what the bill is going to be. Honestly, they could write whatever the hell they wanted on there, and there's nothing you could do about it. It's not really a free market when only one party is in control of the price and the other party has no say about it whatsoever. Honestly, it doesn't matter whether someone is insured or uninsured, the prices should not be that high for ANYONE. (And somehow, the rest of the world manages to keep them much lower, so go figure).

2pinks&ablue June 19th, 2011 05:15 AM

Oh my gosh! Being from Canada, this is totally shocking to me! I guess I never really gave enough thought to how lucky we are with our healthcare system!

hkystar June 19th, 2011 06:46 AM

I am afraid of what our delivery hospital bill is going to be. I have no clue right now.

w292737 June 19th, 2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quantum_Leap (Post 24174296)
Yeah, but they never tell you ahead of time what the bill is going to be. Honestly, they could write whatever the hell they wanted on there, and there's nothing you could do about it. It's not really a free market when only one party is in control of the price and the other party has no say about it whatsoever. Honestly, it doesn't matter whether someone is insured or uninsured, the prices should not be that high for ANYONE. (And somehow, the rest of the world manages to keep them much lower, so go figure).

you can ask to have some one from patient finance coem in and explain to you what the charge is for the proposed care, before you concent.

and always remember you can refuse any 'care' proposed if you think it is not nessicary. (I refused alot of the first appt screening because I knew they could obtain the info from my transfer chart when it came)

Mischief Managed June 19th, 2011 08:53 AM

That is bad! I had no idea a baby was so expensive anyways. Think about it: babies (pregnancy) and labor is like 70% of all hospital profit. I have been getting my doctor bill, and since my past insurance was crap (I had to pay 20% of every bill) it KILLED me. It still amazes me that a urine test at my past office, that I had to take every trip, was $70 and both ultrasounds were nearly $600 each. Don't even get me started on the $700 blood tests they do. It isn't fair! You would think people would be pro-life and wanting to make it easier for pregnant women. Imagine someone who was in your situation and didn't have insurance. That 1500 bill is WAY too much! So I totally agree (to a certain extent) At least your bill is only $150! Next time I suggest waiting until you know you are having contractions with a pattern and for a few hours before going in.