JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2011 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/)
-   -   oh Joanna's post got me wondering... self cleaning oven?? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/2354440-oh-joannas-post-got-me-wondering-self-cleaning-oven.html)

w292737 June 20th, 2011 01:00 PM

oh Joanna's post got me wondering... self cleaning oven??

Okay so I have a 'self cleaning oven' as I'm sure we all do nowadays

that said. I don't know where my manual is, nor have I ever done it.

but I'm assuming i just run that cycle, with no chemicals, wait till it's done and cool and then wipe it all out?

is that safe to run if I am not home? like say if I start it when I leave for work? or does it need supervision of sorts? any one know?

mico June 20th, 2011 01:03 PM

Re: oh Joanna's post got me wondering... self cleaning oven??

Yep, no cleaners here, just wipe it out when it's done. I always do it when I'm home, sometimes I'll do it before bed at night.

way2gomom June 20th, 2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w292737 (Post 24183838)
Okay so I have a 'self cleaning oven' as I'm sure we all do nowadays

that said. I don't know where my manual is, nor have I ever done it.

but I'm assuming i just run that cycle, with no chemicals, wait till it's done and cool and then wipe it all out?

is that safe to run if I am not home? like say if I start it when I leave for work? or does it need supervision of sorts? any one know?

I live in the stone age! The only self-cleaning oven I have is my vajayjay :rofl:

w292737 June 20th, 2011 01:15 PM

seroiusly??? :rofl:

way2gomom June 20th, 2011 01:25 PM

Ok, maybe I'm the only one who's ever heard it called that... :ph34r:

w292737 June 20th, 2011 01:28 PM

no I was seriously ing you because your oven doesn't have a self clean option? not because your vajayjay is one. :lol:

way2gomom June 20th, 2011 01:38 PM

Yeah... I really do live under a rock. On the other hand, this is the oven that my parents have:

http://www.aga-ranges.com/_image_lib...oker_black.gif
Aga Store: Two Oven Cooker - Gas Model

It's an AGA - it's always on and you don't set the temp. The top 2 hoods lift up for the burners, one's hot and ones not as hot (you can cook directly on the not as hot one!) and the doors open up for 2 ovens, again one hot and one not as hot.

jdt June 20th, 2011 02:32 PM

My oven has the option but I tried it once and never did it again. I guess it just burns everything? My oven door locks and it's gets pretty hot. i forgot how long it was suppose to run for. I turned off after 10 mins.

I'll just clean it the old fashioned way

w292737 June 20th, 2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by way2gomom (Post 24184259)
Yeah... I really do live under a rock. On the other hand, this is the oven that my parents have:

http://www.aga-ranges.com/_image_lib...oker_black.gif
Aga Store: Two Oven Cooker - Gas Model

It's an AGA - it's always on and you don't set the temp. The top 2 hoods lift up for the burners, one's hot and ones not as hot (you can cook directly on the not as hot one!) and the doors open up for 2 ovens, again one hot and one not as hot.

oh wow!!

Just_Marie June 20th, 2011 02:58 PM

I think ours runs for 2.5 hours, I usually do it at night, make sure you pull it out away from the walls and cupboards when you do it-we just vacuum it out at the end

Christine-MA June 20th, 2011 03:45 PM

LOL I've never cleaned my oven because I didn't know how the self cleaner worked either. Having said that, it never gets dirty because we use the stove top or grill 99% of the time lol

sweetgirl51305 June 20th, 2011 04:22 PM

My mom just did this at her house yesterday while we were there. She was scared to do it there by herself, so we came "just incase". lol. Make sure you take your racks out 1st (at least hers said to). Turn on the self clean cycle, it'll usually take around 2-3 hrs depending on your oven. When it's done, let it cool and wipe it down. Don't use chemicals. Hope this helps!

w292737 June 20th, 2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetgirl51305 (Post 24185947)
My mom just did this at her house yesterday while we were there. She was scared to do it there by herself, so we came "just incase". lol. Make sure you take your racks out 1st (at least hers said to). Turn on the self clean cycle, it'll usually take around 2-3 hrs depending on your oven. When it's done, let it cool and wipe it down. Don't use chemicals. Hope this helps!

sweet thanks!!

I think I'll do it this weekend while I'm home, just in case (and awake) :giggle:

andi2284 June 20th, 2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

My oven has the option but I tried it once and never did it again. I guess it just burns everything? My oven door locks and it's gets pretty hot. i forgot how long it was suppose to run for. I turned off after 10 mins.

I'll just clean it the old fashioned way
I did it once and it honestly scared me :lol: It just gets the oven really hot and burns everything off. I wouldn't do it at night or when you're not home, just in case. Our smoke alarm is super sensitive too, if I open up the oven at 425* the darn thing goes off, the self-cleaning option would make it go crazy!

Dee Darling 3 June 20th, 2011 09:43 PM

I usually do mine at night because it does get super hot. It will run for a good 3 hours. No chemicals. I don't always wipe it down afterwards, but I suppose I should.

Rachel June 21st, 2011 11:58 AM

My oven is new, but I honestly don't know if it has a self-cleaning option. I imagine it does, but I haven't needed to use it yet.