JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2011 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/)
-   -   Yummy Baked potato soup with Bacon and Ham! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/2449358-yummy-baked-potato-soup-bacon-and-ham.html)

VikingMamma November 15th, 2011 04:55 PM

Yummy Baked potato soup with Bacon and Ham!

Okay, so I just followed an allrecipes.com recipe, but I tweaked it just a little bit in terms of the meat.

Here's the original recipe:
Ingredients

3 bacon strips, diced
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 cups chicken broth
2 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup half-and-half cream
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Shredded Cheddar cheese
Minced fresh parsley

Directions

In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Set bacon aside. Saute onion and garlic in the drippings until tender. Stir in flour, salt, basil and pepper; mix well. Gradually add broth. Bring to boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes, cream and hot pepper sauce; heat through but do not boil. Garnish with bacon, cheese and parsley.

How I changed it:

All I did was use 5 pieces of bacon instead (which going back now, I think 3 was enough) and then after crisping the bacon, I took a ham steak and cut it up into small pieces and cooked that through. I placed them to the side and followed the given instructions as they read. I added the bacon and ham back in once I was finished adding in the broth, but before boiling/stirring for two minutes. For the hot sauce, I just used tobasco and did like three little shakes into the whole pot.... I didn't want to overdo the hot sauce.

This serves 4 people, but I think those are VERY generous servings as it's a very filling dish. My mom and I were the only ones home so I froze the rest!

Oh I also served sourdough bread slices alongside the soup for dipping :)

ratladee November 15th, 2011 06:41 PM

Re: Yummy Baked potato soup with Bacon and Ham!

So you made it spicy on your own? Do you have to cook the potatoes first? That sounds SO good.
I'm going to pick out the crappiest coldest day to make it. Yum!!

VikingMamma November 15th, 2011 08:06 PM

Re: Yummy Baked potato soup with Bacon and Ham!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratladee (Post 25195215)
So you made it spicy on your own? Do you have to cook the potatoes first? That sounds SO good.
I'm going to pick out the crappiest coldest day to make it. Yum!!

Oh no, the spicy was in the recipe and it's not really so much spice as more of a "depth of flavor" :) Yep, we buy those individual plastic wrap baked potatoes and so I just popped two of those in the microwave while i chopped the onion, garlic, and measured out the flour and spices :)