JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2011 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/)
-   -   Family life to do list/cheats 101 (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/2579141-family-life-to-do-list-cheats-101-a.html)

AmiraX4 September 30th, 2012 11:19 AM

Family life to do list/cheats 101

Lets share our tricks of the trade if thats what u call it. recipes, babysitting, weaning, toilet training,getting into a bigger bed, sharing, bottles, binkis, snack foods....this goes on and on....

vent or share but lets use each others experience as a mother and learn and pass on better parenting for the success of our future....our kiddies.:D

Leogirl October 1st, 2012 08:38 AM

Re: Family life to do list/cheats 101

The sticky forum "From Scratch" is for recipes. Please feel free to post there. I'll start again because I stopped because I didn't think anyone was checking it.

Here are a couple of general "life hacks":
Use Hydrogen Peroxide to get blood out of clothing. Rinse with cold water as warm or hot will set the stain. Be careful using on black and bright colored items because it can remove the color so test on a place that isn't noticeable.

Hair a little greasy and don't have time to wash it? Throw a little baby powder in it and oilyness is gone. Style as usual.

Have an old pair of panty hose that have a run in them? Don't throw them away! Save them to run over your clothes when you get a deorderant stain. It takes them right off!

Hand sanitizer works as deorderant in a pinch.

If your credit card magnetic stripe starts to get worn from use and being in your wallet, and doesn't always read in the card reader, you can use the plastic bag trick. Put the card in a plastic grocery bag and then swipe it. Not sure why it works, but it does.Taking it further though, you can simply apply a piece of quality cellophane tape over the mag stripe for a "permanent" plastic bag trick.

Macy's credit cards usually have a 20% discount on purchases. I pay with the Macy's card, then while still at the register, I immediately pay off the charge with my debit card. I just got 20% off my purchase and I never get a credit card bill. - this also works with JCP and kohl's cards.

AmiraX4 October 2nd, 2012 12:14 AM

Wow those are goood......

the panty hose one....i would have never thought of that...how someone discovered would be an interesting story! will defo use that one.

Hand sanitizer tip also very useful....

thanx so much for sharing...

momie2b9-20-11 October 2nd, 2012 10:36 AM

Great tips Holly!!

Wet a piece of cloth with ammonia, put in warm oven for a few hours; this will loosen any burnt food that is sticking to the surfaces

candles will burn more slowly and for a longer period of time if they are in the fridge several days before they are lighted.

Spills on floors can be quickly mopped up by using newspapers to absorb the moisture

Fresh paint smell can be eliminated by placing a pail of cold water in the room, changing it every two or three hours

Put cling wrap in fridge to keep it from sticking to itself when trying to use.

AmiraX4 October 2nd, 2012 10:52 PM

awesome tips.....

toilet training from my experience goes fast and easy when begining just after baby can walk and is aware of pooping. i begin bringing the baby to be trained into the bathroom with me and have baby watch the procedures of stitting hearing trinkle of pee hitting watter and spraying off with water to clean. and baby usually thinks this is fun cus my kids like the part of being able to use the water spray attached to toilet..

thats kind of the bait and hook. then i break open the mini toilet or some of kids just want to go directly to sitting on pot with the seat insert. everytime we have success with peeing or pooping baby gets special sticker to stick on the baby pot. and then gets extra treat after lunch. my kids are completely potty trainedby 1 1/2 ..exception of 1 of my boys that has problems with night peeing. we currently doing testing and ultrasound to make sure theres nothing physically preventing. he is 4.

My rule is never to have more than one kid in diapers. :D

Hazel October 3rd, 2012 07:11 PM

If you wear panty hose and your skirt/slacks has static cling, rub lotion on your pantyhose.

Microwave a cup of vinegar to make cleaning the microwave a breeze.

Sticky stuff on your floor that won't wipe up (gee, thanks, kids)? Sprinkle baking soda on top, spray with plain white vinegar Let sit for about two minutes after it stops fizzing and then wipe away. If some of the stick remains, repeat.

AmiraX4 October 6th, 2012 09:04 PM

When making homemade playdough, I add koolaid to dough to make bright colors and makes it smell reallllllllly good for a long time!!!

Leogirl October 7th, 2012 10:31 AM

Here a a few more "life hacks":

If you shop online ,before you place your order, Google promo codes for where ever your shopping. You can get anything from free shipping, up to 50% off, and free items.

You can save a lot of money by buying things out of season (holiday items, cards, clothing, ect.) Unless it's food, then you should buy in season.

If your purse/wallet gets lost/stolen put your credit cards on hold. Don't cancel them. When you cancel them it puts a flag on your credit report.

If you spill liquid and stain your carpet, pour salt on it right away. Rub it in with your hands and leave it for a few hours (or days if it's really bad) and then vaccum out.

If you are calling in for customer service or tech support to your cable/internet/phone provider always choose the option for "new customers" then ask to be transfered to the right person. Your call is answered quicker.

Do you get razor burn when you shave? Rub deoderant on right after you shave to stop pain and after doing this a few times it will stop the bumps as well.

Do you have dry feet? No matter how bad they are they will soften right up if you rub on petroleum jelly in the morning (or at night before you go to bed) and cover with socks.

If you drink hot tea in a resturant or tea house when your pot is empty and you need a refill flip the lid of the tea pot upside down or if it's on a spring flip it up. This is a universal indicator for tea refill service.

AmiraX4 October 10th, 2012 04:12 AM

Sometimes getting my young ones to sit quietly during family study time can be hard. A tactic you can use to help is keeping them involved by asking easier questions and offering a small task to complete. ( even its something like letting them try to peel an orange )

Also to help make homework time less tiring for a child can include frequent short breaks that include a lot of praise.

AmiraX4 October 10th, 2012 11:13 AM

Heres an organizing tip for the kitchen....

Use one of your old bamboo steamers to store your garlic and onions in...so they can breathe and the dried peels dont get all over the place..

AmiraX4 October 15th, 2012 06:02 AM

Breakfast is probablly the hardest meal to get on the table in time
for our family. I very very rarely buy anything in a box or frozen
food from the store. I prefer to eat more natural and make things by
scratch. So time savers for the morning are essential.
Here are a couple of fast easy ideas that I do.

Make a large batch of french toast and freeze it. Warm it in a buttered
pan to eat.

Same thing with pancakes. Or make mix and keep it in an airtight bin.
( using a recipe minus eggs of course, just dry ingredients)

Make crepe batter Sunday night and keep it frig for 3 days.
( fast strawberry sauce I heat up Jam )

THe night before put make hummus ( i have very easy recipe if needed )
Make a hummus wrap using pita (arabic bread) roll it. Kids love it
( can also use sour feta cheese )
:D

AmiraX4 October 15th, 2012 10:17 PM

oops..."The night before make hummu....****corrected......:D.....:sneak:

Leogirl October 17th, 2012 07:44 PM

Here is an awesome tumbler of life hacks! http://mintfish.tumblr.com/post/3373...ur-life-easier