JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2011 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/)
-   -   Wwyd? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/2579566-wwyd.html)

tricia_16_ October 1st, 2012 10:11 AM

Wwyd?

So as most of you know, my mom does our babysitting for us. Right now she watches her all day Monday, until noon on Tuesday, and all day Friday's.

My mom is CONVINCED that Kaylee does not need her morning nap. She often goes out to her friends' houses and to drop in programs and that kind of thing with all the kids she has, which is perfectly fine. I have nothing against that. When she does go places Kaylee will not nap. She is too busy playing with all the new toys and the kids to want to slow down enough to sleep. So my mom puts her to sleep around 1 and she says she sleeps for 3 hours. That's fine.

My problem is when she comes home on those days she absolutely freaking MISERABLE. She cries over EVERYTHING, is clumsy (because she's tired) and falls all over every **** thing, and is standing at the baby gate crying ready to go to bed again at 7:00! I can't put her to bed that early, because then she is up at 5 for the day and will BADLY need to nap in the morning and my mom won't stay home for her to sleep. (Which again, I understand. I don't expect her to not have a life and stay at home just because Kaylee needs to sleep.)

So what do I do? Do I have to just put up with a ****** kid three nights a week at home because she doesn't get enough sleep? Should I try and bring her to a different daycare so she CAN sleep, or will no daycare centres make sure she gets her sleep? I also understand she won't need to have two naps for a lot longer, so this is only a temporary problem, but it is (to me!) a big one!!!

Help?

w292737 October 1st, 2012 11:03 AM

Re: Wwyd?

you know your daughter best.

for what it's worth, bob is in bed by 7 every night, and sleeps till 645. she only takes 1 afternoon nap.

joonzgurl October 1st, 2012 11:28 AM

I would try putting her to bed when she is tired at 7. If she is getting less sleep during the day she might surprise you.

Avery used to sleep from 7-7 with two naps. Since she has been getting only 1 nap per day (about as long as her 2 naps combined) she is sleeping until 7pm- 8:30am.

navywifey2003 October 1st, 2012 12:40 PM

I would try the 7oclock bedtime and see how it goes. She might be so tired she will sleep longer than 5am.

~Rae~ October 1st, 2012 12:49 PM

Ditto. I think most daycares do 1 nap at this age & it's scheduled. My sister puts her kids down for 2 hours all at the same time. Eventually they adjust.
Layla's preschool does nap a bit earlier than we do at home, but shes ok. Some days she won't sleep, so she just goes down for the night 30 min earlier.

And X still does two naps. One 30 min power nap & one long afternoon nap. If we're out, he skips the power nap & may sleep a bit longer at his afternoon nap or want to go to bed a little earlier that night.
I know I'm rambling & this post is disjointed, but all I'm really trying to say is that I think she'll adjust.

Mama.Angie October 2nd, 2012 07:05 AM

I'd try the 7 o clock bedtime. Try. Not saying it will work, but I'm not sure what else you could do outside demanding your mom let her have a morning nap.

MommytoaMiracle October 2nd, 2012 08:51 AM

If it were me & my Mom was my child's daytime provider, I would expect her to put my childs needs ahead of running the roads, so I think if you wanted to tell your Mom you want her to give her a morning nap, you are entitled to do so. That's her job, family or not.
I do agree with everyone on the 7pm bedtime. Sav usually goes to bed about 7pm & sleeps until 7am so she may adjust fairly quickly.

HeatherLopez October 2nd, 2012 09:42 AM

agreed about just putting her down at 7 pm. Ari sleeps 7ish to 8ish every day plus one 1.5-3 hour nap every day. Kaylee just might surprise you and sleep longer than you expect her to!

tricia_16_ October 2nd, 2012 10:14 AM

Maybe we'll try that tomorrow since DH will be home, and then he can get up at 5 and deal with her if she doesn't sleep in ;)

Thanks guys!!!

Rachel October 3rd, 2012 05:45 AM

Keelan will sometimes skip his morning nap, if we're running around or if we're busy at home. If he's content to stay awake and not be crabby then I let him. Then he'll usually go to bed earlier at night.

Let us know how the earlier bedtime shakes down.