JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2011 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/)
-   -   Morphine During Labour? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/2581207-morphine-during-labour.html)

tricia_16_ October 5th, 2012 06:11 AM

Morphine During Labour?

Apparently the drugs they used to offer for pain at our hospital (nubain) is no longer offered, and they now offer morphine!

Has anyone used that during labour, or have heard anyting about it?

I opted out of the nubain last time because I heard so many moms talk about it making them woozy, tired, and totally forget parts of their labour. I am wondering if anyone had any experience with morphine and if it had the same side effects, or better or worse?

TIA!

8miraclez October 5th, 2012 06:27 AM

Re: Morphine During Labour?

Don't they offer epidurals?
I got morphine just once. I had such a headache they thought it was causing my bp to go up so they gave me morphine. It was towards the beginning of labor though, not the end.
Honestly, it helped my headache, but then I was so tired I couldn't stay awake. I always get loopy no matter what they give me.

mandy5586 October 5th, 2012 06:30 AM

I don't have experience with morphine so the rest of my post is pointless, LOL

After they broke my water and I felt like I was "dying" from the Pitocin-induced contractions, they gave me Fentanyl. Let me just say that I never want that crap again. I was so dizzy, so confused, and an emotional MESS!! I hadn't cried yet during labor until they gave me that. Then my OB was talking to me and I was trying so hard to focus on him and I started bawling. DH asked what was wrong and I said, "I have nooooo idea what he is saaaayingggggggg." And DH said he would explain it to me later. It did help with the pain, but it only lasted about 15 minutes and they could only give it to me once an hour. I did it twice and then I was like OKAY I don't want that anymore.

So I don't know if morphine will be like that or not....but the Fentanyl sucked horribly.

MommytoaMiracle October 5th, 2012 06:38 AM

They don't have epidurals there? How awful!

I obviously don't have any experience yet but I plan on getting an epi..Nothing else. I hear horror stories like Mandy's a lot when it comes to other pain options. They tend to make people speak crazy talk & become disoriented, queasy, etc.

tricia_16_ October 5th, 2012 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfbaked (Post 26614515)
Don't they offer epidurals?

They do! I told her that I skipped out on the drugs before the epidural last time, and she was just telling me that second labours tend to go much faster (she said even faster for me since it hasn't even been a year and a half since I last gave birth so my body would really remember what to do) and there was no guarantee that I would get an epidural fast enough.

So she was trying to educate me on morphine and was telling me that they haven't heard nearly as many negative comments about morphine and that the babies seem to be much more alert as well.

Still hasn't sold me on it though lol

MommytoaMiracle October 5th, 2012 06:44 AM

I totally forgot about this. When I was in labor with my 12 week loss (NOT a fun experience) I was in SO much pain but because baby was dead, they wouldn't give me an epi, so they gave me morphine. I remember it so clear, everything. I was still in pain & could feel everything but I just didn't care, if that makes sense...It was such a weird sensation. But, it made me feel paralyzed, like I couldn't even lift my head & I hallucinated that a man came into my room & tried to kill me! haha
I know it sounds crazy but I was freaking out!

Just my really weird experience...However, it did help my mindset on the pain, so I guess in a sense, it did make it go away, mentally at least.

w292737 October 5th, 2012 07:01 AM

oh I had morphine afte rmy tubal I liked it. though I liked stadol better. :giggle:

no honestly I'd take it.

joonzgurl October 5th, 2012 07:04 AM

I am not sure if you know about my labour experience or not, because I joined this forum after the babies were born.

I was literally in labour for 3 days. I went in for induction on Thursday AM and Avery was born on Saturday afternoon via c-section.

I had wanted a natural birth, so I opted out of drugs until the very last minute. By Saturday afternoon I was a 8 but Avery's head would not engage. She was not in the right position and her head was pinching my bladder closed- I could not empty it. Every contraction was squeezing my full bladder, but no matter what I could not go. It was HORRIBLE, seriously so much worse than the contractions.

Finally, when they told me I needed a c-section, because I was in so much pain and screaming/flailing etc they gave me a shot of morphine so that they could get the epi in and get my prepped for surgery.

Long story short- I found it VERY effective.

They might have just given me a huge dose though, not sure.

tricia_16_ October 5th, 2012 07:58 AM

I "Googled" it (scientific, I know) and the number one thing that pops up about its use during labour is that it is known to affect the baby's breathing! Bah!!!

AniLand October 5th, 2012 08:00 AM

At the beginning of my labor, I wasn't dilated enough for them to "admit" me, but she could see I was in a great deal of pain already. So she let me lay in triage and the doctor gave me morphine to help me relax in between contractions. It did not make me woozy or anything bad like that. And I could still feel the pain, but I was able to relax in between them, so it made the looooong night a little more bearable. Once they admitted me, I got the epi.

tobi4 October 5th, 2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tricia_16_ (Post 26614946)
I "Googled" it (scientific, I know) and the number one thing that pops up about its use during labour is that it is known to affect the baby's breathing! Bah!!!

Yes this exactly. Personally I wouldn't chance it.

w292737 October 5th, 2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tricia_16_ (Post 26614946)

this is true of any narcotic that mom takes in labor, which is why, here, they cut you off the narcotics after you are dialated to a 7/8. that usually gives enough time for the narcotic to clear you and baby before delivery. Here they also keep, in the delivery nurses pocket, the drug to reverse the narcotic, for the baby. all drawn and ready to go, jsut in case it is needed. my nurses had this with my stadol, it wasn't needed, but it was nice to know they were prepared just in case.

babi_lovin11 October 5th, 2012 08:52 AM

Oh I wonder if that's the same thing here? Last year I had Nubian with carter and felt like I was stoned for a few mins lol. I hated the epidural and will never get that again of I have a choice...

mom2more October 5th, 2012 08:53 AM

I don't know if I would want to take something they just started giving during labor.

I have heard second labors go faster and mine did (my first son was born in about 9 hours, my second was in like 3). But even getting to the hospital with my contractions 3 minutes apart I still had time for an epidural. I would just ask for the epidural as soon as you get there!

mandy5586 October 5th, 2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2more (Post 26615215)
I don't know if I would want to take something they just started giving during labor.

I have heard second labors go faster and mine did (my first son was born in about 9 hours, my second was in like 3). But even getting to the hospital with my contractions 3 minutes apart I still had time for an epidural. I would just ask for the epidural as soon as you get there!

Morphine has been given during labor for a very long time. They didn't just start giving it. I think she means that they are no longer giving Nubain, but are giving Morphine in its place.

Also--on the 2nd labors go faster thing, of course it's not true for everyone (as everything else, lol). I was the 2nd born. My mom was in labor with my brother for 12 hours and with me for 39 hours. YIKES!!

navywifey2003 October 5th, 2012 12:56 PM

Faster 2nd labors are true for me and my 3rd labor was even faster. With Katelynn my water broke at home and she was born exactly 4 hours later. I was at the hospital less than 30 minutes before i was holding her. I did not have time for an epi. Especially because they require a full bag of fluids and a cbc before they will allow you to have one. Her birth changed me. I never felt so amazing. Im not saying others dont feel the same but I really felt empowered. Obviously since Everett was born at home there was no options for pain relief in the form of medications but my labor with him was 53 minutes. I have taken morphine before not for labor and I dont like the way it makes me feel. But again these are just my opinions and my thoughts.

Smashley October 5th, 2012 06:55 PM

I've had 2 epi's. First one sucked, second one was amazing. I almost did nubaine because I didn't want an epi with the twins, but the nurse showing my how they get baby B out if he were to flip changed my mind (not like hemorrhaging was any diff without an epi). My friend had morphine after her c-section, and boy was she funny. She was all giggles and crazies. I don't think I would take it personally just because of being high. I don't think I would remember anything, and may regret it later.

Who knows though. Pain is pain, and no matter what option you choose is what is best for you. I am sure I probably would have tried it with the twins if it wasn't for that nurse.

Dixana October 8th, 2012 08:51 AM

I had morphine after my c-section.with AJ. It made me really loopy and I only remember bits and pieces from the day he was born. I also had a nasty reaction to it and felt like I had bugs crawling under my skin. It sucked.
If I ever have another by some crazy turn of events, there will be no meds and NO epi. Freaking useless epi :mad:

Dee Darling 3 October 8th, 2012 09:07 AM

I haven't had morphine - only an epi, once with M. K was a natural birth, and little rose was a c section.

In terms of second labors - mine seem to extend longer and longer with each one. My body seems to forget more and more what contractions are for with each pregnancy. :giggle:

lrowe70 October 9th, 2012 05:14 AM

I wish I'd had Morphine during my labor.
They give it to me at the dentist if I have a cavity...long story short...each time I go, I hope they find a cavity.
Morphine is good stuff...GOOD stuff.