JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2011 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/)
-   -   Advanced Maternal Age - 2 ultrasounds a week? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/2625458-advanced-maternal-age-2-ultrasounds-week.html)

AniLand February 14th, 2013 08:29 AM

Advanced Maternal Age - 2 ultrasounds a week?

Is anybody familiar with this? I can't find much online, and I don't want to call the doctor's office if I don't have to.

When I was pregnant with Will, and again this time, my doctor told me that at the 34 week mark, they want me to start coming in twice a week for ultrasounds to check for fluids. They said I am at a higher risk for fluids leaking, and therefore the baby dying. If my fluids start to leak, they will most likely take the baby out.

I just want to know the percentage of AMA women this happens to. My insurance won't cover the extra ultrasounds, and 2 per week times approx 6 weeks, well, that's going to get expensive as sh**.

:)

Dee Darling 3 February 14th, 2013 08:34 AM

Re: Advanced Maternal Age - 2 ultrasounds a week?

I was AMA as well as just plain old high risk w/ little rose. I didn't have a u/s 2x a week, but many drs do a non-stress test/BPP (which is a u/s) 2x a week for AMA moms.

I would check with the dr to see if he/she is having a biophysical profile done with a non-stress test. Then check with your insurance to see if that is covered.

FallinWoman February 14th, 2013 08:43 AM

I was 38 while pregnant with Lew. I did not have u/s at the end of the pregnancy like that at all. I had one at about 34 weeks to check fluid levels, but that was an added one just for me because I had low fluid issues with my first. Had that not been true, I would not have had an u/s that late at all. With DS#1 and Lew any and all u/s were covered by my insurance, though.

tobi4 February 14th, 2013 08:49 AM

I was 40 and the only reason I had any ultrasounds third tri was because he has kidney issues and to check his size. Nothing extra because of my age. Twice a week seems extreme to me when a simple swab can test for leaking fluids.

Rachel February 14th, 2013 09:22 AM

I was AMA (39 when Keelan was born) and didn't have that issue.

navywifey2003 February 14th, 2013 01:25 PM

That seems excessive to me.

Aenyx February 14th, 2013 03:14 PM

Not AMA here but that does seem like a lot.

r&lsmama February 14th, 2013 04:00 PM

You'll have to let us know what you find out. That does sound like a lot.

marieks85 February 14th, 2013 06:00 PM

That does sound like a lot. Hopefully they can just do a NST instead.

Just_Marie February 14th, 2013 10:19 PM

I was ama and high risk with Joey, thats alot of u/s. Our docs do NSTs instead and u/s if baby isn't doing well towards the end. That could get pricey

joonzgurl February 15th, 2013 06:30 AM

I agree with everyone else... couldn't you request they do a swab to test for leaks instead?

w292737 February 15th, 2013 01:16 PM

not AMA, but I was higher risk with Catheryn due to other issues and I did once weekly u/s but then twice weekly monitoring.