JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2011 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/)
-   -   Eating habits (yours, not the kids') (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/2625521-eating-habits-yours-not-kids.html)

AniLand February 14th, 2013 10:07 AM

Eating habits (yours, not the kids')

I've been thinking of ways I can healthily take off my baby weight after he is born. After I had Will, I started running again. It wasn't so bad, as long as my husband could watch him for an hour a couple times a week. This time, I will have a newborn and a 20-month-old, and my husband is never home during the day (he works late). So, I'm scared. I know for a fact I will not be able to run anymore.

I was wondering if you know about cutting out sugar or other types of foods. Does it make that much of a difference? All my life, I've been a size 0-2, and I've eaten anything I wanted (being a runner helped!). So now I'm starting to rethink the way I eat, and wondering if cutting out sugar actually makes that much of a difference?

I'm talking about junk food - I am a SUCKER for it. I made my husband a cheesecake for valentines day and I swear to god I could have eaten half of it last night. The old Ani would have done that. But now, I'm afraid of the weight not coming off so I had to refrain.

Anyway, I'm sorry about the babbling. I was just curious to see if anyone has tried cutting out sugar (or any other kind of food) and was it successful?

Rachel February 14th, 2013 10:37 AM

Re: Eating habits (yours, not the kids')

My eating habits are bad. I eat a lot of red meat, a lot of carbs and a lot of junk food. I lost weight from breastfeeding. I think it really kicked my metabolism into high gear or something. I can eat what I want and I haven't gained weight (or lost) in months.

mandy5586 February 14th, 2013 10:38 AM

I think healthy eating depends on a lot of things--not just one area such as cutting out sugars. It's portion control, types of food, etc. I am not a big sweet eater, but I do think that it's okay to have things in moderation. If I want a piece of cake, I have a piece of cake...I just don't eat the whole thing, LOL

Eating a protein packed breakfast is important. If you're a carb eater, try to limit them to breakfast and dinner so you burn them off during the day. That's where I screw up. I LOVE pasta, rice, potatoes...so we almost always have one of those with dinner...then I eat way too much of it!

I would like to say though that most "diets" are not successful when a person tries to completely get rid of things that they love the most. If you try to cut out ALL sugars then you may end up having a sugar binge!

Aenyx February 14th, 2013 03:26 PM

I've actually been doing an low carb/higher healthy fats diet for about a month now. No grains, no sugars, ect. Almost all my carbs come from veggies. I've always been a big carb eater with not a lot of self control when it comes to portions of carbs and it's caused me to end up extremely overweight and with an insulin resistance. I gave them up cold turkey and I've lost 9lbs in 3 weeks and I feel great. And after the first couple days, almost no cravings for carbs at all. I feel like I can keep this up for the long term and I know people who have been doing it for years.
But everyone is different and things that work for one person might not work for another.

marieks85 February 14th, 2013 06:06 PM

If you are planning on running then "good" carbs will be your friend. I run a couple miles a day and my carb intake is high and protein is low because I'm not working on muscle. I use the carbs for fuel and if I eat too much protein my body eats the muscle instead of the fat. I agree about portion control. Don't obsess but just watch what you eat. I tracked my eating habits for a couple weeks and found out I'm a grazer. When I get bored I eat, so now I redirect myself and say "okay am I hungry or bored?" I feel like crap when I eat just to pass time so now I chase Tristan around or clean or something. I'm size 3/4 and it only took maybe 6 months for me to get back down to that size (BFing helped A LOT) and I had gained 60 lbs during pregnancy.

tricia_16_ February 15th, 2013 05:13 AM

I pretty much only eat junk - which is why I am overweight. Sorry I am no help!