JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2011 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/)
-   -   Teaching to be gentle (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/2629142-teaching-to-gentle.html)

Julka February 25th, 2013 09:26 AM

Teaching to be gentle

Sebastian has a lot of little Thomas trains, cars, trucks... well, he has a tendency to come and throw them at us. For example, if DH or I are sitting on the sofa, he'll come and throw a train at us. Now, he does this playfully. To him, it's no different than coming and throwing a ball (which is fine with a ball, we just take it he wants to play, plus it doesn't hurt unlike a train!!) - anyone going through this? What do/would you do to teach them the difference?

sareymac February 25th, 2013 10:36 AM

Re: Teaching to be gentle

YUP Gary was doing that. he's actually just starting to chill out with that. But we would just say, you dont wanna throw that at us! And show him to throw the dogs ball and make his cars go on the floor, or the blocks to build. He kind of just stopped it we didnt really "do" much.

~Momma*2011~ February 25th, 2013 10:45 AM

I wonder if there is a difference between boys and girls in that regard. Other than throwing food to the pets she hasn't really thrown anything. She will roll a ball back and forth but not throwing. I'm sure we will get to a point where we will have to teach her not to but she also has a very passive personality.

kazarmo February 25th, 2013 11:33 AM

Ahh Lina will throw stuff. Anything, especially if we have recently told her no and she got mad. Then the object in her hand gets thrown. She hates being told no. she is a stink pot for sure.

ShelleyB80 February 25th, 2013 11:38 AM

Cody doesn't really throw things. But I know he doesn't quite understand what can hurt us and what can't. If one of us is holding him, and he has a toy in his hand, he'll bat us in the face with it. I try to show him it hurts by saying "ouch" and making a sad face. Then he gets a really sympathetic look on his face! :smile:

ratladee February 25th, 2013 12:03 PM

Pea throws balls, but she doesn't throw things at us to hurt us. Now she won't hesitate to slap us in the face. I'm not sure how to stop it other than doing what Shelley does. But Patrick laughs about it and rough houses back with her so he's kinda teaching her that's ok. When she goes up to Caleb she wants to rock his chair so hard, she thinks it's funny, then she pokes him in the head and says behbee. I put her in my lap and I stroke her hand soft and say "gently!!" over and over. I don't know if it's working but it's what came to me! Were your girls this way?

Julka February 25th, 2013 12:22 PM

Ah, the girls at this age are a big blur in my head. I don't remember these little things :( When I make a sad face and say "ouch" he think it's the funniest thing ever and just stands there smiling. I know for sure he doesn't throw the trains to "hurt" anyone deliberately, he just wants to play "catch" b/c to him it's no different than throwing a ball, it's just hard to get him to see that difference. I hope it's something he learns on his own and SOON! We do teach "gentle" all the time as well by showing him examples.

bmarti07 February 25th, 2013 05:18 PM

Boys are definitely different than girls! I firmly tell him no and try not to laugh or smile because that encourages his behavior. If he doesn't stop, the toy gets taken away. He also loves pulling his sisters' hair. He gets this mischievous smile and pulls like heck!

kazarmo February 25th, 2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratladee (Post 27133497)
Pea throws balls, but she doesn't throw things at us to hurt us. Now she won't hesitate to slap us in the face. I'm not sure how to stop it other than doing what Shelley does. But Patrick laughs about it and rough houses back with her so he's kinda teaching her that's ok. When she goes up to Caleb she wants to rock his chair so hard, she thinks it's funny, then she pokes him in the head and says behbee. I put her in my lap and I stroke her hand soft and say "gently!!" over and over. I don't know if it's working but it's what came to me! Were your girls this way?

I do the same thing with Lina with the gentle and the soft touch. She was pretty rough with all of us for about a month or so. The past 2 weeks or so she has been much better, and now when we say soft or gentle she will rub you, like my leg or arm or even my hair. They get it, it just takes awhile for them to make sense of it.

Miranda try taking Pea's hand and rubbing it on Calelb's leg or arm and saying soft and gentle. She will get it eventually. Then she will always want to be rubbing him, lol. That's if you don't mind it I guess.

Lina learned how to be nice and gentle to the dog and cat. Now they don't mind being around her. Hopefully with the new baby coming in a few weeks she will be the same way.

ratladee February 25th, 2013 09:37 PM

lol I did that and she rubbed his hair into a mess! so funny

sareymac February 26th, 2013 04:36 AM

Gary does the slapping thing too! He does it to the little dog allll the time. I take his hand and do "gentle" all the time and he starts hugging her its adorable. But then a few minutes later he's right back to crazy child!

Lorena26 February 26th, 2013 05:00 PM

Gio hasn't thrown anything yet at anybody, he throws things in the air to watch them fall though. We teach him to do "nice nice" on peanut (have been doing that all along) but that's about it so far.

kazarmo February 27th, 2013 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratladee (Post 27135643)
lol I did that and she rubbed his hair into a mess! so funny

too cute, yeah Lina has rubbed my hair to the point where it looked like I just woke up :D

swild19 February 27th, 2013 07:31 PM

Katelyn throws things at the cat sometimes. I just say "be gentle" a lot! She also slaps us in the face.

jmills1129 February 28th, 2013 07:54 AM

Madison throws the dog toys at him, but other than that she hasnt throw anything at us. She was hitting, and still does when she doesnt get what she wants, but I just tell her, "we dont hit, we need to be gentle" and will gently run my hand on her cheek, to show her gentle, and then she will be gentle back. and her hitting has slowed quite a bit so I dont know if it is helping or not.