JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2011 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/)
-   -   Breastfeeding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/2633793-breastfeeding.html)

momie2b9-20-11 March 11th, 2013 11:36 AM

Breastfeeding

Who is still breastfeeding?
How many times a day?

For those mamas that were bfing but are no longer, what age did you wean your LO?
Did you wean or let them self wean?

Dee Darling 3 March 11th, 2013 11:42 AM

Re: Breastfeeding

I am in the process of weaning little rose. We're just nursing at night and I need to wean her because of severe pain in my breast the last couple months. I don't want to, but the surgeon wanted me to - the combination of new meds and weaning would get rid of the suspected infection. So far, it's worked - the pain's gone.

Still not fully weaned, only nursing from one side for the most part and about 3 times at night.

FallinWoman March 11th, 2013 11:51 AM

We are still nursing 4 times a day. But only for 2-3 minutes at a time. So he is not getting much anymore. I am letting him set the weaning pace. It has been a slow gradual decline of frequency and duration.

mandy5586 March 11th, 2013 12:02 PM

Brynlee only had breastmilk until 5.5 months. It was too difficult to keep up the pumping at work when I couldn't always close/lock my office door to pump.

Rachel March 11th, 2013 12:20 PM

Keelan is still nursing and my goal is 2 years, but I'll let him decide when he's ready to wean. He nurses a lot right now. Not sure if he's going through a growth spurt or what, but I'd say 5 or 6 times during the day (for short periods of time) and then once during the night, sometimes not at all at night.

r&lsmama March 11th, 2013 01:52 PM

I stopped nursing around 12-13 months. Layla pretty much self weened and just wanted a straw cup.

irishblessing March 11th, 2013 02:17 PM

Usually twice in a 24 hour period. But the last few days he seems to want a bit more, I think he isn't feeling 100%. I would like to have him weaned by 2 years.

breathing for two March 11th, 2013 03:51 PM

Eli nurses a lot, I'm not sure how many times a day. I plan on letting him self wean, though I might night wean him soon now that I'm pregnant.

TinaG1 March 11th, 2013 04:21 PM

We weaned at 13 months. It was just so hard to keep pumping at work. Once I stopped pumping at work it became difficult to keep my supply up enough to feed him in the evenings. Eventually he just got frustrated because the milk wasn't coming out fast enough and he wasn't really all that interested. It was a good opportunity to wean him.

Quantum_Leap March 11th, 2013 07:17 PM

Beau still nurses a bazillion times a day. Every time he sees me after I return from work it's the first thing he demands. If anything, he seems to be even more addicted to nursing than his older brother was at his age. Lord help us all!

tobi4 March 11th, 2013 07:26 PM

Still nursing here! Colton loves his booboos lol. He nurses at least 5 times a day and a few times at night. He pupils at my shirt. Pokes me and says 'that?' When I ask if he wants booboo he says yah yah yah yah lol. We will wean when he wants to.

CoreenaC March 12th, 2013 11:18 AM

Carter's still nursing. I'd say 5-6 times in 24 hours. 5-10 minutes at a time. I don't see him self weaning anytime soon. I would love to make it to two years, we may wean at that point so we can try for #2 though no concrete plans right now.

momie2b9-20-11 March 12th, 2013 02:14 PM

I weaned Kynslee at about 15 1/2 months. I just couldn't do it anymore. she would nurse about 7 times a day and I was just ready to be done. It took a while to wean her but near the end when I finally had her down to once right before bed she just got tired of not being able to have her boob more and transitioned easier then.

8miraclez March 12th, 2013 02:54 PM

Natalie weaned around 16mths, right when I found out I was pg. She had been taking a bottle since birth though since she was premature and I had to add calories to everything. She just flat our refused to nurse one day. She kept getting frozen milk until last month when I finally switched her to regular milk. She only takes 1 bottle before bed now.

MelissaRN March 12th, 2013 05:34 PM

I weaned Jacob at a little over 5 months old. I was only able to pump twice during my 12 hr shift at work and my supply suffered. It was nice not to have to worry about finding time to pump anymore.

navywifey2003 March 12th, 2013 06:00 PM

Everett is mostly weaned because of the pregnancy. But he will have a time where he still wants to dry nurse for comfort. I'm really sad that its not more :(

melissa500 March 12th, 2013 06:44 PM

I nurse my 19 month old once in the morning mainly because she is my last and I am having separation anxiety already.

joonzgurl March 12th, 2013 08:06 PM

I am still nursing Avery but we are working on weaning. I don't want to tandem nurse. I would if I had more support but I just don't have the support from my family.

We are down to just once per day, at naptime. I nurse her to sleep. If she isn't feeling well or has had a bad day with her teeth or something I will nurse her more but I don't have much milk left since we are down to just 1x per day.

I am going to cut it out as soon as I am over the morning sickenss phase of being pregnant.

navywifey2003 March 12th, 2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joonzgurl (Post 27190127)
I am still nursing Avery but we are working on weaning. I don't want to tandem nurse. I would if I had more support but I just don't have the support from my family.

We are down to just once per day, at naptime. I nurse her to sleep. If she isn't feeling well or has had a bad day with her teeth or something I will nurse her more but I don't have much milk left since we are down to just 1x per day.

I am going to cut it out as soon as I am over the morning sickenss phase of being pregnant.

She will likely wean without any encouragement with the pregnancy. My milk taste changed and then I dried up when I hit the 2nd trimester.