JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2011 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/)
-   -   And the worrying begins! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/2634190-and-worrying-begins.html)

AniLand March 12th, 2013 04:14 PM

And the worrying begins!

Evan sleeps ALL THE TIME. I don't really remember how much Will slept as a newborn but I'm a little worried that Evan sleeps too much, i dont want him to be lethargic/sick. Or is this normal for a newborn/preemie? He wakes to eat only half the time. He is gaining weight but he only stays awake for long enough to eat then he falls back asleep for hours.

~Rae~ March 12th, 2013 04:40 PM

Re: And the worrying begins!

Preemies tire easily. I was given instructions to wake them to eat until they gained a set number of ounces. Can't remember how much. Undressing them before eating helps. Once weight gain wasn't an issue (probably at the 4 week visit) our pedi said let them sleep & that they'd wake when hungry. She was right.

Rachel March 12th, 2013 05:14 PM

I didn't have a preemie, but it's totally normal for newborns to sleep a lot.

irishblessing March 12th, 2013 06:12 PM

Dominic slept A LOT! so I think it is quite normal. I used to have to wake him up for feedings.

melissa500 March 12th, 2013 06:52 PM

I had a preemie and it is completely normal. Zachary used to fall asleep as he was eating. And then they start getting their nights and days mixed up.

joonzgurl March 12th, 2013 08:00 PM

I don't have any advice about preemies but I hope that these mamas help ease your mind :)
Can you call the dr just to ask about it?

r&lsmama March 13th, 2013 08:06 AM

I didn't have a preemie, but just want to say newborns sleep a ton. I hope you can get some good advice :)

Smashley March 13th, 2013 05:51 PM

Ayla and Silas were only 3 weeks early, but Silas slept A LOT. I mean, most of the day for a good few months. Ayla, not so much. Silas would sleep easily 18 hours a day. My nephew was the same way.

8miraclez March 13th, 2013 11:20 PM

Yep, preemies sleep tons. I always had to pump and fortify breast milk so they would get extra calories without having to eat more since they were constantly sleeping. They become more alert, just like regular babies, you just need to remember to adjust his age.

jdt March 13th, 2013 11:22 PM

I didn't have preemies but I remember with Joshua all the kid did was sleep, wake up to eat, and then go back to sleep for a couple hrs. It was that cycle for awhile. I look back now and wish he would sleep that much just so i can stuff done around the house.