JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2011 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/)
-   -   In the hospital.... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/2636784-hospital.html)

Hazel March 21st, 2013 05:27 PM

In the hospital....

Iz had a little cold last week but Sunday night she started vomiting. We were at the doctor Monday anyway so Bryce could get the staples removed from his head so I had Izzy checked out. Doc says it is just a virus, no big deal, wait it out. She got worse as the day went on so off to the ER we went.

She had a massive double ear infection and was dehydrated from the vomiting from the virus so she gets IV fluids and IV antibiotics. We are released around 2am. She needs a second shot of antibiotics on Tuesday but her pedi doesn't do them so back to the ER we go. She had continued vomiting and started diarrhea after our discharge the night before so they start an IV and get more fluids going and do the antibiotics via IV again. After fluids, she still has not perked up and is still vomiting. She gets an ultrasound to check for abdominal problems. She gets some Zofran. She still vomits. So we got admitted (11 months to the day from her surgery. Happy surgeversary!)

She finally stopped vomitting and has even been able to eat a little today but she still needs the IV fluids so no going home yet.... And today tests came back positive for rotavirus. Fun times!

It feels very strange to be on a regular ward instead of the cardiac floor. The cardiac floor is a little more comfortable (private room, private bathroom/shower, more comfortable sleeping spaces) so I kinda miss it :p

Leogirl March 21st, 2013 06:17 PM

Re: In the hospital....

Poor IZ.:(:hug: Lots of good vibes her way and I hope she feels better soon. KUP on how she is.

r&lsmama March 21st, 2013 06:37 PM

I hope she feels better ((lots of hugs))

mandy5586 March 21st, 2013 06:57 PM

Oh no!! I hope she gets back to her normal self soon!

tricia_16_ March 21st, 2013 08:11 PM

:( Sorry to hear!

Hazel March 22nd, 2013 09:46 AM

She has been vomit and diarrhea free for 24 hours and has good wet diapers so we get to go home!

Leogirl March 22nd, 2013 11:41 AM

I'm glad shes doing so much better!

irishblessing March 22nd, 2013 01:52 PM

That's great news, hopefully she continues to feel better.

AniLand March 22nd, 2013 01:57 PM

One of the hardest things I've ever had to do was sit by my sick child and not be able to do anything to help. I'm sending lots of good mojo to you!!

momie2b9-20-11 March 22nd, 2013 05:40 PM

Hugs Hazel!!! You have been through soo much! I'm glad that Izzy is finally feeling better! Hope she stays doing good.

tobi4 March 22nd, 2013 07:43 PM

Yep. That's my faith in most physicians. Don't worry it's just a virus. Typical. I'm so bitter towards them and its exactly things like this that get me restarted! Anyways I'm glad she's on the road to recovery! Feel better soon babe!

Hazel March 22nd, 2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AniLand (Post 27220594)
One of the hardest things I've ever had to do was sit by my sick child and not be able to do anything to help. I'm sending lots of good mojo to you!!

{{hugs}} this is the third time Izzy has been hospitalized--it is always nerve wracking!

Hazel March 22nd, 2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobi4 (Post 27221553)
Yep. That's my faith in most physicians. Don't worry it's just a virus. Typical. I'm so bitter towards them and its exactly things like this that get me restarted! Anyways I'm glad she's on the road to recovery! Feel better soon babe!

I am so unimpressed with the care around here that I'm going to just make the extra drive to do everything out of the children's hospital. They seem to take things more seriously and give us a lot more time and attention and care. Especially for Izzy--she survived open heart surgery and if I had listened to her doctor, a simple virus could have taken her.

tobi4 March 23rd, 2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazel (Post 27221604)
I am so unimpressed with the care around here that I'm going to just make the extra drive to do everything out of the children's hospital. They seem to take things more seriously and give us a lot more time and attention and care. Especially for Izzy--she survived open heart surgery and if I had listened to her doctor, a simple virus could have taken her.

Absolutely terrifying to think he could have been responsible for that!! Thank god for mommas intuition. There's a reason you are mom to that little one!

8miraclez March 23rd, 2013 10:25 PM

What a great mom you are for following your mommy instincts. I have an aquantance who's child died from dehydration from vomiting. It always amazes me that doctors don't think it's a big deal. I'm glad she's feeling better.

Dixana March 24th, 2013 10:40 AM

I'm glad she's doing better! It is ridiculous how most doctors react to sick children. Our Dr always listens to me when I have a concern. Her opinion is the parent knows their child and is the first line of defense when it comes to knowing something is wrong. More physicians need to take that approach!

Rachel March 24th, 2013 06:29 PM

Glad she's doing better!

Aenyx March 24th, 2013 07:58 PM

Glad she's doing better!

I don't understand doctors that don't listen to parents' concerns. I mean we are with them all the time, we KNOW when something is up.

Recently I had a friend here that fought with the doctor at the pedi office for nearly a week while his DD was sick and running a fever of 103+. DR kept saying "nothing to be done, bring her back if she gets an ear infection". He finally just took her to the ER and they wanted to admit her. The ER helped take her fever down a bit, did blood and urine tests, made him an appointment with a different doctor, ect and she's finally getting better.

Hazel March 25th, 2013 10:22 AM

There needs to be more teachers like my daughter's surgeon. He always made sure I was there for rounds while she was recovering, always asked my opinion on how she was doing and what she needed, and stressed to his interns/residents that the parents were an important part of the team because they are the experts when it comes to the child and parental input affects what and how you treat. After surgery, Izzy's recovery was rough and she was having several complications. Dr. W asked me what she needed--to be held and to nurse. The students were all oh, no, that can't happen while she still has chest tubes. Dr W tells them that we'll have to be careful but we need to make it happen because mom knows baby best. So she was carefully lifted to my lap a couple of times and over the next few hours she stabilized :) if all doctors were like him, I'd be ecstatic :p

momie2b9-20-11 March 25th, 2013 11:43 AM

That's great that you did have a great doc for Izzy's surgery!! But, sadly not all doctors are that good. Wish they were though! I hope you get better care for you and little Izzy.