JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2011 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/)
-   -   I tried....I failed..... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/2637665-i-tried-i-failed.html)

inlove08 March 25th, 2013 09:45 AM

I tried....I failed.....

Breastfeeding. :(

2 weeks of booby for Madalyn. And I think we both hit a wall and are frustrated.
She from day 1 has wanted to be on boob every 30 minutes. I can't take it. I'm exhausted and frustrated. I feel horrible turning her to formula. But feel once she gets used to it will be better off.
I wanted to breast feed so bad, got it and now this happens. She freaks out hysterical until I give her the boob. Tried pacifier to help with that with no luck. :(

Rachel March 25th, 2013 09:57 AM

Re: I tried....I failed.....

((hugs)) It's very normal for babies that small to want to breastfeed that often. The first two weeks are the hardest for sure. It does get better, though. Don't think of it as you failed, though. 2 weeks of breast milk is better than no weeks!

momie2b9-20-11 March 25th, 2013 10:41 AM

HUGS mama!!! Know that you did a great job for Madalyn and you are not failing her, you are doing what you believe is better for the two of you.

Kynslee was the same way for the first 3 weeks or so of her life. It seemed like all I did was breastfeed her. I tried everything and she'd cry until the got the boob. Then it got a little better but it was still every hour or so that I'd feed her. Don't ask me how I survived, as I'm not sure I did - LOL!! But, somehow I did and it eventually got better. I know how frustrating it can be and I didn't have a toddler at the time to take care of also or I'd probably have quit.

FallinWoman March 25th, 2013 10:56 AM

The first weeks of BFing are HARD. For most people it gets a lot easier around 4 weeks. How long is she nursing for each session?

That being said, you do what is best for YOU. There is no shame in formula! As Rachel said, two weeks is better than no weeks.

Karen+Zoe March 25th, 2013 11:19 AM

Oh Tiff, you did not fail! You tried and you did your best. There is nothing wrong with giving her formula, it is your decision - you know what's best! 2 weeks of breastmilk is the best you could have given her for a good start too. HUGS xx

irishblessing March 25th, 2013 11:55 AM

Aww HUGS, breastfeeding can be really hard in the beginning. I remember feeling like that was ALL I ever did. But either way don't feel bad, 2 weeks is better than none!

Dee Darling 3 March 26th, 2013 10:59 AM

:hug: You didn't fail. You did your best and found it didn't work for you or Madalyn. Please don't beat yourself up over this. You are a great mom!

navywifey2003 March 26th, 2013 12:00 PM

Cluster feeding is really difficult. You didn't fail it is really hard in the beginning. Hugs.

jdt March 26th, 2013 03:36 PM

It's definitely hard in the beginning for both mama and baby to get the hang of bf. I had issues with Joshua not latching properly and then I was always in pain from sore cracked nipples. I ended up pumping exclusively for 3 months and bottle feeding him the milk. One day I just popped him on the boob to try and wham he took to it like a pro. Have you thought about pumping and bottle feeding her?

If not don't worry about it. Like rachel said some bm is better than none. If you're frustrated then it makes it even harder for baby. You tried and that's all anyone can ask. Nothing wrong with a baby having formula.

inlove08 March 27th, 2013 03:16 PM

No after thinking about it, with my job and 6 day work weeks....I am not pumping.

Thanks ladies. I feel a bit better now. Man with Emma it was so much easier.
She ate every 3 hours no issues. She cried all the time but that was due to her reflux/colic. Madalyn is a good baby. She just want sssooo much food. It's sort of scary.

She will cry after 3 oz of formula, wanting more. And I try so hard to make her wait 3 hours in between, but she won't if she isn't sleeping. So dang...let's see...

Todays formula she'd received:

12 am feeding: 4 oz
3 am feeding: 4 oz
5 am feeding: 3 oz
830 am feeding: 4 oz
1130 am feeding: 4 oz
she's beeing sleeping since 12. She freaked out wanting more at 1 pm but I didn't give her any.

Just seems like alot for a 2 week old to handle.....

Rachel March 27th, 2013 03:44 PM

That is an insane amount of food for a 2 week old. Is she keeping it all down? Their tummies aren't even supposed to be that big.

Dee Darling 3 March 27th, 2013 04:17 PM

:that:

inlove08 March 30th, 2013 06:07 AM

Yup she doesn't spit up. Doc said 3 oz every 2 hours is okay but we would rather have her doing 3 oz every 3 hours. Madalyn is such a hungry girl. OMG

Went to her 2 week appt: 8 lbs 4 oz. (was born 7 lbs 6 oz)
Her jaundice is gone, thank god. Said her feeding the way she is is okay....but would like to stretch her out more and get her to take the paci instead.

But madalyn is refusing the paci. UGH