JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2011 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/)
-   -   In Vitro (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/2642053-vitro.html)

ChristyO April 10th, 2013 01:55 AM

In Vitro

I have a friend I feel so bad for...she wants nothing more than to be a mama but Mr. Right never appeared (she's 35) and so 2 years ago she decided to go it alone and use a sperm bank. She had several tries, and finally became pregnant, only to have a miscarriage after 14 weeks. Genetic testing showed that the baby had Down Syndrome. Then she moved up to trying in-vitro...she had her first round a few weeks ago and just learned that it did not work. She's got another try scheduled in two months. This has cost tens of thousands of dollars not to mention the emotional turmoil.

Has anyone here had or known anyone with in-vitro success after the first round didn't work?

Dee Darling 3 April 10th, 2013 08:29 AM

Re: In Vitro

My B and SIL did in vitro seven years ago. The first one died in utero around 8 weeks, but they didn't find out until 12 weeks. The second shot at in vitro worked.

I should mention that they had a son the "old fashioned" way first - not sure if that makes a difference.

I hope the second time works for her.

oscarsmom April 10th, 2013 08:34 AM

One of my bf's miscarried her first round and then was blessed with a beautiful daughter the 2nd round. I have other friends and acquaintances who have had success on round 2 or 3. Praying for her!!!

Rachel April 10th, 2013 09:48 AM

There are several JM mommies who did IVF. I think Anne from our board (FallenWoman) has two IVF babies!

jdt April 10th, 2013 08:11 PM

I have a friend who is in a same sex relationship and they have wanted kids. They did the whole sperm bank route. They have 2 daughters now. With the 2nd daughter they had to try twice as something happened the first time around. The 2nd time around it worked and now they have a healthy 4 month old girl.

lrowe70 April 11th, 2013 12:26 AM

That sounds like a lot of time, energy and money. Probably be easier to find a husband and do it the old fashioned way.

No I don't know anyone with a successful IVF, at least none that will admit to it.
A few tried and failed and later just got preggo the old fashioned way. Another claims she didn't use IVF, but many including her own family question this. Mainly because of her health right before conception and the fact that she gave birth to triplets.

Hope things work out for your friend, whatever path she decides upon.

ChristyO April 11th, 2013 06:12 PM

Thanks for the input, ladies, I appreciate it! :):)

LindseyandJoeinAL April 20th, 2013 03:13 AM

Hi Christy! I hardly visit the boards anymore (shame on me!) but I stumbled across your post today and wanted to share my story. My beautiful, wonderful and perfect daughter is the result of IVF. The first one failed and the second one worked. It's no easy process, but I have ZERO regrets and will probably end up doing it again for Khloe to have a baby brother or sister.

I am proud of your friend and impressed that she is so dedicated to having a baby. Sometimes our lives don't work out as perfectly as we dream about, so we have to make some changes. I wish your friend lots of luck in fulfilling her dream to be a mommy!