JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2011 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/)
-   -   Postpartum Depression Still? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/2644101-postpartum-depression-still.html)

melissa500 April 17th, 2013 07:39 PM

Postpartum Depression Still?

I had my baby girl July/11 and ever since I have cried every single day. I have become a crazy person worrying about my health and the health of my children. It's also been a rough year with a lot of loss. My cousin was murdered in Nov and a month later my grandmother found out she had cancer and passed within weeks of diagnosis. Shortly after was the Sandy Hook shooting and now the bombing. It's very depressing that I have to worry about sending my children to school :(
My question is can I have postpartum depression that didn't go away or is this just regular depression?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/FlowerChildAcc

mccaroline April 18th, 2013 04:31 AM

Re: Postpartum Depression Still?

Sorry you're going though this. It's possible it could be depression or PPD, but they way you're describing the worry it could also be anxiety. Hormones change when we have babies and often never truly go back to the way they were. I never had anxiety a day in my life before I had kids, every since my first was born I've had to be treated for it a few times. We just start worrying about our little ones so much and when negative things start happening in our lives it doesn't help.

If you're able go speak to your doctor, there are things that can help. I wish you luck, you shouldn't have to live your life crying everyday. You deserve to be happier and more relaxed than that.

AniLand April 18th, 2013 06:39 AM

I agree with the above. It sounds like depression to me. Your body might need a boost to put your hormones back where they belong. A good dr can help you with some meds. I say go for it. You deserve it. :)

tricia_16_ April 18th, 2013 10:49 AM

Caroline said it perfectly!

Smashley April 18th, 2013 05:44 PM

I am the same way, and I also have panic disorder. Winter is a very hard time of year for me, and with all the craziness in the world, things got pretty out of hand for me as well. January was particularly bad.

I would say that it isn't normal because it is really affecting your quality of life, but normal in the sense that it happens.

I get really anxious and obsessive about mine and my kid;s health around PMS time. It may sound weird, but that is when it hits me the hardest. Most of the month I can push it out of my head when the thoughts come, but then around a week before my period, like clockwork, I start worrying.

I went to my doctor in January because I was a basket case. She suggested anti-depressants. I refused, but asked her to give me a full blood work up. Some of the things she tested me for were scary (and only tested to give me piece of mind). Cancer is my biggest fear, so she tested for blood and bone cancers. She also checked my hormones, thyroid, and iron. At the time my bones were really achy and hurting. I was in pain all the time, so she checked for arthritis.

They all came back, and the only test that came out wonky was my iron levels. My iron was very low, and I was anemic. (mine was at 30, and normal is 70). I went on iron pills, and I found that my mood changed, my hair stopped falling out, I had more energy, my anxiety was lower, pms wasn't as hard on me, I was less tired.

I would definitely get a blood work up. Worrying, I think, is a normal part of parenthood, but it should never mess with your quality of life.

oh yes...my anxiety got really bad after my first, and then after a bit they leveled out. The I had my twins, and it went chaotic after them.

andi2284 April 20th, 2013 08:39 PM

I don't know if there's a way to draw a line between PPD and depression, the two can just run together, KWIM? I started to suffer from PPD after I had my first daughter and finally got help about 3 years later. It was the best thing I have done for my health. It really improved my quality of life, overall. Like Ashley said, I do notice a lot of my bad days are hormonally related - 3 days before my period (on the dot, every month) I have a horrible day. It's also common for depression and anxiety to be worse in the winter. I think it's due to a lack of sun (which can mean a lack of vitamin D) - it can help to take vitamin D supplements to help boost your levels and get your mood back up. Depression and anxiety can go hand-in-hand too, so many people notice symptoms of both.

If it's affecting your life, don't hesitate to get help! There are many different natural remedies or medications that can help you get back to at least a somewhat normal life again.

Rachel April 22nd, 2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mccaroline (Post 27295926)
Sorry you're going though this. It's possible it could be depression or PPD, but they way you're describing the worry it could also be anxiety. Hormones change when we have babies and often never truly go back to the way they were. I never had anxiety a day in my life before I had kids, every since my first was born I've had to be treated for it a few times. We just start worrying about our little ones so much and when negative things start happening in our lives it doesn't help.

If you're able go speak to your doctor, there are things that can help. I wish you luck, you shouldn't have to live your life crying everyday. You deserve to be happier and more relaxed than that.

I completely agree!