JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2011 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/)
-   -   Teaching Not to do things.. (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/2644138-teaching-not-to-do-things.html)

sareymac April 18th, 2013 05:42 AM

Teaching Not to do things..

Okay so this is more of an advice thread... Gary has started hitting us and the dogs. Like hard. We have been taking him by the hand afterwards saying "you dont hit." "No, hitting mommy/daddy/toby/paisley" "Gentle" and taking his hand and "petting" lol And he A.) Cries hysterical. . . and we arent yelling at him, we say it stern, but in no way scaring him. B.) Runs away laughing C.) Does it again. . .lol

Sooooo I guess my question is, are we handling this correctly?

ShelleyB80 April 18th, 2013 06:20 AM

Re: Teaching Not to do things..

That's exactly how Cody is behaving AND how I've been handling it....so I say you are doing all you can. I don't know if they are doing it to get a reaction out of us or what....especially when they laugh afterwards. It's like they know it's wrong. He's hitting other kids at daycare now. :smackshead:

sareymac April 18th, 2013 06:24 AM

UGH Its so frustrating because I know they dont understand things just yet. But it's almost like he KNOWS ! He hasn't done it at the sitters in fact she was shocked when I told her he does it to us. He eats better for her too lol. Turd! Anyway I guess we are doing the best we can!

ratladee April 19th, 2013 05:56 AM

Pea has been doing the same thing. I think the key with it is just being consistent. Hubby's worst thing is that he'd rough house with her because she likes it, but then it's teaching her that that kind of thing with other people is okay. So we stopped laughing when she does something we don't like (even if it's funny!) or we ignore it. I know it works because she stopped being a turd to Caleb. She hasn't been rough with him for a few weeks! :)

ShelleyB80 April 19th, 2013 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratladee (Post 27298839)
Pea has been doing the same thing. I think the key with it is just being consistent. Hubby's worst thing is that he'd rough house with her because she likes it, but then it's teaching her that that kind of thing with other people is okay. So we stopped laughing when she does something we don't like (even if it's funny!) or we ignore it. I know it works because she stopped being a turd to Caleb. She hasn't been rough with him for a few weeks! :)

This was one of the hardest things when we brought Cody home from the hospital. Emily was not even two years old and she was way too rough with him. I had to watch her every move. I know what you're going through!

kazarmo April 19th, 2013 05:59 PM

I think it's pretty normal for the whole hitting thing. If I stop Lina from doing something I tell her no and she will look at me and then hit me. I see that she is doing it to get a reaction. We tried for awhile telling her no be gentle and then showing her how to be gentle. Sometimes I still do that but for the most part I now ignore because it may only happen once a day or so.
So far she is being gentle with the baby for the most part, she just wants to pick her up and give her kisses all the time.