JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2011 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/)
-   -   The very last idea I can think of for Alex's sleep issues... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1833-2011-playroom/2655446-very-last-idea-i-can-think-for-alexs-sleep-issues.html)

Aenyx June 3rd, 2013 01:17 AM

The very last idea I can think of for Alex's sleep issues...

This waking for hours at night needs to stop... seriously... like last year preferably.
I'm tired. I'm tired of being woke up every night. I'm tired of fighting this more nights than not. I'm tired of feeling like she's just never going to sttn consistently.
I think dealing with this is the main reason I don't have any baby fever, at all. Because I'm terrified that the 2nd will be just as much of a struggle with sleep from day 1 and then I'll have 2 of them not sleeping and probably doing the not sleeping thing at different times so I really will never sleep.
Last time I brought it up to the doctor, months ago, I listed off everything I'd tried. He had no suggestions that I hadn't tried already.

I'm going to bring it up again at her 2 year, but I doubt that'll do much good.

The only thing I can come up with that I haven't tried, and I'm starting tomorrow, is keeping a log of everything she eats and drinks and see if I find a pattern. After that I really am 100% out of ideas and will resign myself to not getting to sleep until she leaves for college.

momie2b9-20-11 June 3rd, 2013 12:32 PM

Re: The very last idea I can think of for Alex's sleep issues...

Hugs April!! I hope you figure out something soon!! That would be so frustrating! kynslee is a very active non-stop child but she usually sleeps good. KUP on how she's doing and if you figure out anything that works

Rachel June 3rd, 2013 01:50 PM

Keelan does not sleep through the night consistently either. I can probably count on my hands the number of times he's slept longer than 5 hours (which is really what the experts call STTN, anyway). My friends and family keep blaming the fact that he's still nursing on his waking. It's sort of nice to know that other kids his age who are not nursing are still waking. ((hugs)) I know that doesn't really help, but I wanted to let you know that you weren't alone.

Aenyx June 3rd, 2013 05:35 PM

I wouldn't be quite at my wits end with it though if it was a quick waking for something like nursing. But it is anywhere from 2-4 hours and she's just AWAKE. She doesn't need anything, she just rolls around talking and playing. I didn't go to sleep until nearly 3 last night because she woke up to party right before I got ready to go to bed.
I'm glad to know she's not the only one waking up at least.

Karen+Zoe June 3rd, 2013 09:24 PM

Hugs April! Zoe had a period of doing the midnight parties... 3-4 hours of been wide awake. I am not sure what caused it but it settled after 5 weeks (5 weeks sounds long I know but you'll get there!). I tried giving her new things to stimulate her during the day maybe twice a week and after this she seemed to have a better night's sleep. Hope something works soon and you get your sleep back!

Aenyx June 3rd, 2013 09:35 PM

I really wish this was a temporary phase. I get stretches here and there of good nights but we've struggled with sleep issues since the day she was born pretty much.

irishblessing June 8th, 2013 11:11 AM

Did you start the food intake log? Will be interesting to see if there are any patterns.

ladyluck87 June 8th, 2013 04:52 PM

Hmmm. I know you said youve tried everything so please forgive me if you are hearing the same advice over and over again. When she wakes up, does she just talk to herself, or is she crying? Do you try to ignore her? I know when she is crying, at least for me, I can't ignore it. But in that case I'd put her near you and keep the lights off and just go back to bed, but as long as she can see that you're near. That may help.

My first was like that, but when I got pregnant with my 2nd I was too tired to care and I begun letting him sleep in my bed, and that worked. Except now he is 4 and still in my bed, but I don't mind much. I just carry him back to his bed at night. For some reason first borns are tough sleepers for a lot of people I know lol. Every baby is different. My 2nd has been STTN since he was like 6 weeks old, and he was breastfed.

Aenyx June 9th, 2013 02:04 PM

I started the log but so far I haven't noticed anything, plus she's been sick this week so that's messing it all up too.

Usually she just's talking to herself. I'll go in if she cries. But I've tried ignoring and/or going in at varying intervals when she's just talking.
She won't lay down in my bed, my bed means play time to her.

ladyluck87 June 10th, 2013 08:19 AM

I know it's hard, because I am a nosey parent...But if she's just talking to herself I wouldn't go in at all. If she starts crying I'd go in and check on her but just be very boring. Don't talk to her, keep lights off, etc. Just pat her to comfort her. My 2nd thinks my bed is playtime as well, so he has actually never slept in my bed.

momie2b9-20-11 June 10th, 2013 10:28 AM

I hope you find something soon that works for you.

Quantum_Leap June 12th, 2013 07:10 AM

Sometimes they go through a period of increased night-waking when they're going through a sudden burst of cognitive development. I know that Beau was going totally crazy with the night-waking when he had his vocabulary explosion a couple of weeks ago, but now things have calmed down again for him somewhat.

The other thing that really helped for us was switching to having my DH put him to bed at night instead of me. When it was me nursing him to sleep, then whenever he would wake up in the night he would expect me to still be there and would freak out if I wasn't. But when DH took over putting him to sleep (because I was pregnant and sick and just couldn't physically do it any more), he seemed to get more used to going to sleep without nursing, and then when he woke up in the night he was able to self-soothe better.

I hope that this is just a phase for you, and that she starts sleeping better soon!

FallinWoman June 14th, 2013 01:10 AM

Hugs, girl. It is brutal, I know. Lew startles himself awake with his apnea episodes. His body kicks into fight-or-flight mode, complete with a dump of adrenaline. So he is UP once he has a full episode. I hope the food diary gives you insight....or it just stops!!!

summer70 June 16th, 2013 10:13 AM

I do not know for sure what is going on here. My husband is a night person. He naps every day after work, and then stays up until 4am. I hate it. But, since our daughter wakes up, she can tell people are still up and around so she wants to be up and we cannot get her back to sleep. I am tired of it, but I blame my husband. He is stuck taking care of her as a result.

Have you tried putting her to bed later? I find if my children go to bed before 9pm, they will wake up before the rest of us are in bed and we deal with this.