JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Is Swimming in a Chlorinated Pool Safe this Early? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/2358728-swimming-chlorinated-pool-safe-early.html)

~Mindy~ June 26th, 2011 07:05 AM

Is Swimming in a Chlorinated Pool Safe this Early?

I've been moping around feeling so miserable the last couple weeks. I think it might be really good for me to get out of the house and do something fun with DH and the kids today. I would love to go to the pool for the day, but I worry whether the chlorine is safe during the first trimester? I keep reading conflicting things online, some say it's totally safe. Others say it's not. The pool we go to is an indoor pool, and I read that those are the least safe because there's not as much ventilation to disperse the chemicals in the air. :confused:

HonestMamma June 26th, 2011 07:10 AM

Re: Is Swimming in a Chlorinated Pool Safe this Early?

Your cervix is closed, so I see no reason to avoid swimming. I think that with anything, moderation is key. It's not like you will be living in a pool. Going swimming for the day should be fine.

SuperMartianRobotMom6 June 26th, 2011 07:14 AM

I agree however the indoor pools aren't sanitary, and theres constantly sweat and chlorine in the air.
If its possible an outdoor pool would be safer.

~Mindy~ June 26th, 2011 07:14 AM

Thanks! I just get nervous about exposing baby bean to anything that might be harmful while he or she is still developing all the major organs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FutureNurse_MommyFirst (Post 24230106)
I agree however the indoor pools aren't sanitary, and theres constantly sweat and chlorine in the air.
If its possible an outdoor pool would be safer.

Oh, I didn't know that. We do have a couple outdoor pools in town, but we're fair-skinned and burn very easily. It's not too sunny today though, so maybe I'll just slather everyone with tons of sunscreen and go to one of the outdoor pools.

jensma June 26th, 2011 08:42 AM

yep its fine. I know people that live in the pool while pregnant. I have been swimming a few times now since finding out i'm pregnant...its so nice!

karbear33 June 26th, 2011 09:15 AM

Swimming is one of the most recommended activities during pregnancy. I say go for it! :)

Kitusne June 26th, 2011 10:22 AM

I have been wanting to swim as well. I haven't done so because public pools have so much chlorine, and the only one near me is indoor.

SeaShell_Mom4 June 26th, 2011 10:41 AM

I agree- fine! I did aqua-size classes with my pregnancies in a chlorinated pool :)

daneeleigh June 26th, 2011 11:35 AM

I went swimming yesterday and I'm going again today. It's hot here in Houston lol!

~Mindy~ June 26th, 2011 01:44 PM

So we ended up going and swimming for just a couple hours. I actually feel better than I have in weeks! I think that getting out of the house and getting a little exercise was just what I needed.

eandbabymama June 26th, 2011 03:56 PM

I think it is fine, I did when pregnant with DD and have been swimming in our community outdoor pool every weekend since its been warm enough. The outdoors and activity is great for your growing baby!

cp83 June 26th, 2011 05:54 PM

I have also been swimming since I have been pregnant. Our neighbors have a lovely outdoor pool that is perfect for this hot days!

brewhitham June 28th, 2011 03:58 PM

enjoy it!

lilmeg July 2nd, 2011 10:46 AM

Swimming is good exercise during pregnancy, so good for you for wanting to be active. Absorbing pool chemicals on your skin isn't really great for anyone and as previously mentioned the germs don't make it any better. I would say, if you know someone who has a backyard pool, that would probably be best, but if not I would just make sure you shower well after to get as much off as you can. I'm guessing you already went by now, so hope you had a great time. :)

splashabout May 30th, 2013 08:55 AM

It would be more unsafe it wasn't chlorinated!

igotakid July 30th, 2013 10:27 AM

Swam all the time while preggo!

~Mindy~ August 10th, 2013 05:12 PM

:blink:

Um, it's 2013. The bean is now a happy healthy toddler.

:sneak: