JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/)
-   -   genetic testing (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/2389087-genetic-testing.html)

sarha81 August 5th, 2011 02:31 PM

genetic testing

Iím actually struggling with a decision for my next appt about that. I had a NT scan/genetic screen yesterday for downs and other chromosome issues, and the baby did amazing. We were put in a super low risk category.
So they want to do another screen in four week (at 16wks). Itís just a blood test, this time for downs again and spina bifida, but really? We won't abort even in the most dire situation. Doc said he used to think like me but then he said, knowing baby may have a major health issue would be advantageous ó baby might need to be born by c-section or in a level 3 NICU. OK, he had me there. BUT, then he said, thereís also a chance my late term u/s could screen for these issues. I think docs/hospitals go too far sometimes. What do you think?

sarah_19_nz August 5th, 2011 02:36 PM

Re: genetic testing

I personally like all the testing and all that. I think these days Doctors and hospitals have to cover everything so there are no repercussions later. (cover their a$ses!) Imagine if people weren't told or strongly advised of a certain tests and their baby came out with problems, I can just hear some mothers saying "why wasn't I made to have this or that" "why wasn't it made clear that this could happen" blah blah blah

:)

HonestMamma August 5th, 2011 02:49 PM

With my last pregnancy, the scan came out fine, so I waived the blood testing. Honestly, if there were a question about either SB or Downs, they would have seen it in the scan, right? They measure everything purposely. If I were borderline I would do it, but otherwise I wouldn't bother. But, that's me. If you don't think you will have peace of mind without it, then maybe you should do it.

marinewife0702 August 5th, 2011 02:52 PM

I am doing everything EXCEPT the amnio thing with the needle in the fluid. I don't want a needle going anywhere near my baby or my belly. My husband and I don't have any disorders that run in our families, so we are really only doing the testing because my insurance pays for it. I did the down syndrome fluid measurement test and havent heard anything back (its been almost a month) and will be doing the cystic fibrosis blood test when I get the nerve to head to base and get it done. I tend to pass out when getting blood taken and on base they could care less if I pass out.

sarha81 August 5th, 2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherGoAround (Post 24557497)
With my last pregnancy, the scan came out fine, so I waived the blood testing. Honestly, if there were a question about either SB or Downs, they would have seen it in the scan, right? They measure everything purposely. If I were borderline I would do it, but otherwise I wouldn't bother. But, that's me. If you don't think you will have peace of mind without it, then maybe you should do it.

Yeah, I just read that ó*they can pick up downs and spina on the late term U/S.

I think I just needed on JM member to say, yes, I did that, so I can feel like I'm not being a bad mommy. So THANKS.:)

HonestMamma August 5th, 2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarha81 (Post 24557648)
Yeah, I just read that ó*they can pick up downs and spina on the late term U/S.

Really? I thought these were both genetic flaws? Do you have the link to where you read it? I would be interested in reading it. too.

sarha81 August 5th, 2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinewife0702 (Post 24557525)
I am doing everything EXCEPT the amnio thing with the needle in the fluid. I don't want a needle going anywhere near my baby or my belly. My husband and I don't have any disorders that run in our families, so we are really only doing the testing because my insurance pays for it. I did the down syndrome fluid measurement test and havent heard anything back (its been almost a month) and will be doing the cystic fibrosis blood test when I get the nerve to head to base and get it done. I tend to pass out when getting blood taken and on base they could care less if I pass out.

did you happen to see how thick the fluid in the neck was on the U/s? They said if it was under 3, it was good, under 2 was best and around 1 was near perfect ... I dunno if that helps you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherGoAround (Post 24557672)
Really? I thought these were both genetic flaws? Do you have the link to where you read it? I would be interested in reading it. too.

yeah, isn't that nuts? Why am I getting pricked with needles?!?! I hate needles, lol

Ultrasounds also are used to detect:

* structural defects such as spina bifida and anencephaly
* congenital heart defects
* gastrointestinal and kidney malformations
* cleft lip or palate
(Prenatal Tests)