JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Carson's Birth Story (long) (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/2468129-carsons-birth-story-long.html)

SmilesAreContagious December 29th, 2011 11:32 AM

Carson's Birth Story (long)

I came in at 8:00am on the 26th to start my induction. My body was not ready at all, so they inserted cervidol (sp?). Itís a strip, with a part on it that looks like sand paper. It placed behind the cervix and is supposed to irritate it and make it soften, it takes 12 hours to work. So needless to say I was bored, and hungry! But my nurse was amazing. Barbra, is her name, she has over 40 years experience and was great! Carson fought his eviction every step of the way. He wouldnít stay on the monitors, so they kept coming in and messing with me every 10 minutes.

The cervidol was removed at 9:30 pm and I was examined. I was a tiny finger tip dilated, and 60% effaced. So they started pitocin. Ive heard such terrible things about pit so I was dreading it, but it was not bad at all. My contractions were coming every couple minutes but were never more painful than period cramps. I was checked at 5:30am on the 27th and still hadnít made any progress. They turned the pit up and the contractions still didnít get too bad. I was checked again at 8am and the OB came in to talk to me. She said that everyone was ready for Carson his whole team was waiting for him and that if he didnít get close to coming around 5pm that evening then they would discuss a c-section because in that case it would be what is best for him. I agreed but was frustrated with my body.

I talked to the nurse and explained that it had been almost 12 hours since the pit got started and that I really didnít feel like I was going to make any progress. I asked her if we could check me in a few hours and if I didnít make any progress if we could discuss a c-section sooner than 5, she said it wouldnít be a problem and got the OB again so I could talk to her. They were both so sweet and supportive. No one pressure me into anything. I just trusted my gut and made decisions that I thought were best for my baby. So we decided that at 12:30 I would be examined one last time and if I still hadnít made any progress Iíd make the decision for the c-section and if I did make progress that we would wait till 5 and see where I was.

Barbra then talked to me and explained that if I did need a c-section that I would need a epi, and that I could get one now (at 10ish) so that they can be more aggressive in the induction. I agreed and got my epi at 11. 12:30 came and I was checked one last time. Even with the epi it felt like she was feeling my throat. I still hadnít made any change. So the OB came in and we made the decision that a c-section was best. Carson was not engaged whatsoever, and I hadnít made any change at all and it had been over 24 hours since the induction started.

At 1:30 ish they carted me into the back for prep for the surgery. Nick got dressed and waited in the hall. I was so nervous, I got sick. After I was done being sick I calmed down. The rest is a daze. I remember asking Jen (my go-to-girl/nurse) where was Nick, she ran and got him, and then my heart rate dropped and I remember saying Im going to pass out, hearing ďknife! We need to get this baby out!!!!Ē Nick got in the room and within a minute Carson was born. He came into the room screaming and I couldnít be more proud. I was prepared to not be able to see him, and just let them do what they needed. He sounded so amazing though. He was 19 inches long, 7 pounds 7 ounces, and was born at 2:04 pm. I cried the whole time they stitched me up. Nick got to cut his cord, and went with him when he went to the NICU which was the plan. My heart rate came right back up to normal.

Once I was stitched up they took me to recovery, which was hard, It was hard to be in the room with all the new moms with their babyís. So I moved my legs like crazy as soon as I could so I could get out of there ASAP. My nurse told me once I could move both legs and lift my butt of the bed I was able to go. So once I could do those things I called the nurse over so they could transfer me to a PP room. On the way to the PP room I got carted into the NICU to see my baby. What an amazing experience! He is so beautiful and perfect!! I cant even explain how amazing that was. Then I got taken up to a room and Nick stayed with Carson and mom stayed with me, Carson was transferred to Childrens 10 minutes after I got my room and was stable!

C-sections HURT! Holy Moly! But I was determined, I didnít agree to the c-section without my ob writing me a list of things I needed to accomplish before I could leave. She said she couldnít guarantee me leaving Ďearlyí unless I completed all those things. I just relaxed on Tuesday but Wednesday morning I was determined. I was told I had to pee on my own, pass gas, eat solids, manage my pain, and be able to walk a lap around this floor before I could leave. They said if I did all these things I could leave at the earliest Thursday the 29th. So I got up as soon as I could. It hurt so much but I did it around 10 Wednesday morning. By 2 I was up again and by 6 I was able to walk a lap. The only thing I still needed to do was eat solids, and pass gas. I had meatloaf (barf!) from the hospital for dinner and then passed gas as I walked TWO laps at 11 that night.
My OB came in today (the 29th) and took my dressing off, looked at my incision said everything looks great. So I am being discharged!!!!!!!! Thanks for reading.

Love at first sight
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...93086197_n.jpg
Family
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...08037731_a.jpg
daddy colored him a picture
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...53691007_n.jpg
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...89448802_n.jpg

Mrs. Harris December 29th, 2011 11:50 AM

Re: Carson's Birth Story (long)

Aww that made me cry! Congrats he is so cute and I will be praying for both of you!

AnnaandRyansMommy December 29th, 2011 12:02 PM

Congratulations again. He is adorable. Your family continues to be in my thoughts. I hope everything goes perfect with his surgery.

-3-Hearts December 29th, 2011 01:23 PM

I'm sorry that it wasn't the ideal experience but he is absolutely beautiful!!!! :D

NutMeg76 December 29th, 2011 01:25 PM

HE is so cute! I am preying for both of you!

~*~Tracy~*~ December 29th, 2011 01:47 PM

Totally have me crying, great story :) Continued prayers for you and Carson!!

BoobyDutyAgainJen December 29th, 2011 02:03 PM

So glad he is here safely and that you are able to go be with him! Congratulations!!!

karkli December 29th, 2011 02:59 PM

Rheanna, your strength is amazing and such an inspiration. I'm so happy for you that you were able to be discharged today, and I hope you are with Carson at the Children's Hospital right now. I hope your recovery continues to be quick and that you're not in too much physical pain as you go through the emotions involved with Carson's surgery. My thoughts are with you guys!

Thank you for sharing your birth story. :heart:

boots&bowtie December 29th, 2011 03:35 PM

Congrats again girl! And good for you for being open minded even though it wasnt your ideal birth experience, and for being so strong and determined to do what you could to be discharged 'early'. It sounds like you had a great medical staff too so I'm sure that really helped.

HonestMamma December 29th, 2011 03:46 PM

Great story ending with a beautiful baby boy. Congrats, again!

anybodyinthere December 29th, 2011 03:57 PM

Yay! Okay, this is a silly question, but...do you have to fart in front of a witness or just let them know you have? LOL!

cynb December 29th, 2011 04:34 PM

Congrats, I'm glad he got here safe and sound.

DeepSouthMommy December 29th, 2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anybodyinthere (Post 25392948)
Yay! Okay, this is a silly question, but...do you have to fart in front of a witness or just let them know you have? LOL!

:lol: Most places make you fart in front of the nurse...they have to hear it. Nice, eh??

And I knew it! I told you that I knew your determination would get you out of that hospital in no time. :). I'm so incredibly happy that you got to go spend time with Carson before his surgery. :)

SmilesAreContagious December 29th, 2011 08:30 PM

I didnt have to fart in front of anyone. But i have never been so excited to fart in my life. That was the one thing i wasnt in control of.

MamaSugarplump December 30th, 2011 09:24 AM

^ lol at fart comments!

Congrats on your Carson getting here safely, even though it wasn't how you would have planned it to be. You have been so strong through all of this. Praying for yall today as he has his surgery. :hug:

LilBecca December 30th, 2011 11:45 AM

Now that made me cry a bit... I'm SO glad Carson made his debut safely, even if it's not what you had hoped. I'll keep you and your family in my T&P. :hug:

KatieLove December 30th, 2011 03:37 PM

Congrats :)

I have not been around much lately. What is wrong with your baby boy? Why does he need to have surgery?

white.house January 1st, 2012 11:00 PM

Happy Birthday Carson and Congratulations mama!! WTG on trusting your mommy instincts! He is just beautiful! :wub: praying for you guys through his upcoming surgery, treatment, and recovery!

Treysmama January 2nd, 2012 06:50 PM

congrats girl he is beautiful!!! Still praying for a fast recovery for both Carson and you!!!

justjaQ January 3rd, 2012 12:01 PM

congratulations on your sweet little boy!