JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Medicating teething babies?? HELP! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/2521111-medicating-teething-babies-help.html)

Bella11356 April 30th, 2012 06:08 PM

Medicating teething babies?? HELP!

Dropping in from Feb DDC...

I have an early teether, she already has two of her little teeth trying to push through on the bottom and she's just super unhappy all the time! Nothing seems to help but giving her children Tylenol. I just feel like I'm giving it to her all the time to get her settled! She can't really hold a cold teether in her mouth so that means I have to sit there and hold it for her. Someone told me to freeze a carrot and let her chew on that, and than my grandma rubbed some whiskey on her gums "because that's what we did in the old days" and it only seemed to make her scream more! I have the little teethers gel stuff and that seems to help for just a little bit. I don't want to keep giving her "medication" but I'm about to pull my hair out!

Any advice on how to handle this?? None of the other babies in my ddc are really teething yet and the two or three that are, aren't having problems like me...

sunnyday3 April 30th, 2012 06:32 PM

Re: Medicating teething babies?? HELP!

I have a fussy teether, too. I haven't used Tylenol for her pain, so I'm not sure about that. I would put a call in to your pediatrician to see what s/he recommends as far as medication. My baby loves to chew on wet flannel receiving blankets. They are much easier for her to manage than the little teething rings.

Also, a few of my friends swear by a homeopathic natural remedy. I'm not sure what the name is, but if you have a local health food store, I'd try there.

Remember momma -'this too shall pass! I know it's tough. Good luck!

Erin.minus.thyroid April 30th, 2012 07:25 PM

amber teething necklace, they work great

inspiredbyfinn.com

.ingrid. May 1st, 2012 07:19 AM

Rubbing whisky on her gums didn't work?
Hmm.. I'm stumped. That one worked for me.
I ran out of whisky (I drink a lot) and gave him some beer once.
Just gave him wind.

j&jmom May 1st, 2012 08:43 PM

My LO gets fussy sometimes from teething. He loves to chew on my hand & his own but I have a hardtime too when that doesn't work. I haven't given him any meds yet. Sometimes I just hold him & he'll cry till he gets tired & falls asleep.

What is an amber necklace? I've never heard of it.

cbalzly May 4th, 2012 09:25 AM

Hi, I am new on the boards and my little one isn't teething much yet but with my other three kids I swore my the highlands brand teething tablets. They are homeopathic. Definitely worth a try as the tylenol is so hard on their bodies.

-3-Hearts May 4th, 2012 02:27 PM

ok the posts about using whiskey and beer are jokes right......... You know, back in the "old days" people didn't use car seats or seat belts either. Honestly, if someone put alcohol in my childs mouth, I would have them arrested.

acupofjoe May 4th, 2012 06:12 PM

amber necklace and hylands teething tablets are awesome.

.ingrid. May 7th, 2012 04:47 PM

I think uptight people don't give their babies alcohol when they're in pain.
It's not like I took my baby outside and hung him from the washing line to dry. I gave him beer. Not the whole thing, just a rub on to the gums.
I've been arrested a few times in my short life, but not for giving minors alcohol. We must do things differently where we come from.
Also, I thought of another thing that might help your baby.. the straw (with the beer) they have some thing to chew on whilst they sip. It's a great skill.

Bella11356 May 7th, 2012 06:07 PM

People survived the 40s 50s and 60s just fine...people didn't use carseats because they weren't invented yet...neither were airbags and cell phones...yet they got on just fine. It wasn't for lack of education that they didn't use these products, it was lack of products...

Do the babies actually chew on the necklace? I've always wonder about them but weren't sure how they worked... And I'm going to look up those tablets I've never heard of those...

Edit:althought I appreciate the sentiment that my 79 year old grandma should be arrested... Thank you to the other ladies who responded so nicely and helpful.

Doodlebug06 May 8th, 2012 05:39 AM

I don't see anything wrong with using whiskey or beer. We used a little red wine on a wash cloth for him to suck on with my first one a few times. I also think each parenting style is different and appreciated. Not too long ago I recall a thread discussing pregnant women who have the occasional alcoholic beverage. That was defended and fought about until the topic was closed I believe.

If I could choose between giving my baby alcohol on his gums to help teething vs giving my baby alcohol in utero , I'd choose to do it during teething! Personally. That's just my parenting style though!

Urchin May 8th, 2012 10:00 AM

Lurking here, but I use homeopathic Camilia for my little one's teething. I found that it works very well!

DeepSouthMommy May 8th, 2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .ingrid. (Post 26002049)
It's not like I took my baby outside and hung him from the washing line to dry. I gave him beer. Not the whole thing, just a rub on to the gums.
I've been arrested a few times in my short life, but not for giving minors alcohol. We must do things differently where we come from.
Also, I thought of another thing that might help your baby.. the straw (with the beer) they have some thing to chew on whilst they sip. It's a great skill.

I'm sorry, what? Sipping beer and whiskey from a straw? Is this a joke?

n8tsmomma May 8th, 2012 07:20 PM

They also say not to use colloidal silver because it can cause major health issues but many people do. They say that co-sleeping is deadly for babies and compare it to sleeping to a knife. They argue whether vaccines are good or bad. So if Whiskey gums does help why not try? It is not like your sitting baby in the Bumbo to take shots together. I doubt that I would put it on my son's gums but that is mostly because I am too much of a light weight to drink it and would hate to just have a bottle laying around for no reason.

I did one time leave a rum and coke on a shelf (out of children reach) and my friend gave it to his daughter (who was 2 at the time) not thinking it had anything in it. That thing had three shots of rum and she drank the entire thing I of course freaked out when I got home 5 hours later but other than taking a long nap she was fine. Moral of that story a tiny rub of Whiskey on the gums is not going to be that bad. Other moral if 10 cokes are in the fridge and one is in the cupboard it must have a reason for being in the cupboard don't touch it!

Doodlebug06 May 9th, 2012 06:46 PM

LOL! My stepdad left a full glass of beer on the table once. I downed the whole thing when I was like 4. Besides throwing it up I was fine. :) I don't think it hurts babies or kids for gums and such. Not a good long term thing but I doubt they will get addicted from rubbing it on gums.

-3-Hearts May 10th, 2012 09:56 AM

Wow. Just..... wow. People did survive... because they were LUCKY. But what about the ones who did NOT??? I'm sorry but giving a baby alcohol for ANY reason is unsafe and NOT recommended. It has nothing to do with being "uptight", it has to do with safety and being LEGAL. I am in no way uptight, my kids have eaten dirt for all I care, they run around outside barefoot and I let them jump on the bed!

IMO, I think you should be required to take a parenting class before you have kids. And for those of you using alcohol, did you know that ANY amount of alcohol is poisonous for an infant?

Bella11356 May 10th, 2012 11:21 AM

So the majority of the population survived on luck?? And the ones that did die I don't think it's because they had wet finger of whiskey rubbed on their gums.

There is a difference between letting a child consume alcohol, and rubbing a drop on gums.

And because I left my elderly grandma do it, does not in any way make me a bad parent or say that I need to take parenting classes. Because two people parent different doesn't make me an idiot or wrong. It just makes us different.

-3-Hearts May 11th, 2012 04:56 AM

Giving your baby alcohol DOES make someone a bad parent, sorry. Just because your "elderly grandmother" did it in NO WAY makes it ok. You obviously have a lot to learn about taking care of a baby. I'm done with this thread. I would be careful what I post on a public message board. People have been known to call the local authorities and cps over things like this. I have nothing more to say to someone who would give their child ANY amount of alcohol.

There are about 50000 other things you can do for a teething baby that are safe. Using alcohol is a cop out. Sorry.

cynb May 12th, 2012 10:41 AM

Alcohol is TERRIBLE for brain development. You might as well lobotomize your baby, not to mention the life time effects of introducing alcohol so young. Really, there is no doctor around who would recommend that, are you really defending that practice by saying people survived it in the 50's? Haven't we come far enough since then? Just because the "Smith's" did it doesn't make it right!

Read up on this, it is NOT good.

http://www.brad21.org/pdf/Nwsltr_6%2007_JGCM.pdf

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama1/pub/upl...nsequences.pdf

Neuroscience For Kids - alcohol

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/gif/bacf.gif

Look at this chart, there is NO safe amount of alcohol for a woman under 90 lbs, at the same link there is a chart for men and the weight is 100 lbs. Surely your baby is FAR below that weight.

Quote:

Alcohol is extremely poisonous to infants, and even one small dab can be extremely harmful.
Can I Give My Baby Alcohol?

cynb May 12th, 2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .ingrid. (Post 26002049)

Let's rephrase this, shall we?

I think RESPONSIBLE people don't give their babies alcohol when they're in pain.

OR

I think EDUCATED people don't give their babies alcohol when they're in pain.