JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Cereal (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/2547248-cereal.html)

Girl IS my name July 9th, 2012 07:35 AM

Cereal

So, my doctor wanted me to start giving DD cereal. She wants me to do the one tablespoon in four tablespoons (2 oz) of water and feed her off the spoon. That is not going so well. She gets so angry! She's not a huge fan of eating off the spoon. I didn't figure she would be automatically, but I figured eventually. But she gets so mad! She just clams up, or puts her tongue in the way. I don't want this to be a stand off between us, so I usually give in and just give up on the cereal. I realized that I was wasting a lot, and I don't understand why I'm trying to feed her this runny mess off of a spoon anyway. So I gave it to her in one of her fast flow bottles. I feel guilty about it though, because I went against what my doctor told me to do. I dunno why. Anyway, put it in her bottle and she didn't act like it was any big deal. I guess I'll keep giving her a few bites off the spoon until she gets mad, and put the rest in her bottle. What is everyone else doing with cereal?

CalledBlessed July 9th, 2012 09:14 AM

Re: Cereal

Well mine hates it.He does stick out his tonge but all babies usually do that.Most all my children were not fans of cereal.I try for about a month and then if it don't work I start adding taste to it.I'll add fruits or veggies.It just takes time.Homemade baby food is the best though you might need to look into it for your little one..

Girl IS my name July 9th, 2012 11:07 AM

I plan on doing home made baby food. My doctor just said to do cereal until 5 months. Maybe I just need to make it thicker.

Blue-Jay July 9th, 2012 11:39 AM

I don't think there's anything wrong with making it thicker; a prescription for the actual recipe sounds a little extreme to me. She probably feels like it's milk, and wonders why you're trying to feed her this new way now, lol! I'd definitely try thickening it up. Also, I don't know if you've tried it, but giving the spoon sideways initially instead of straight into their mouths helps them slurp it off better.

And if she hates it and you aren't have any fun, you can stop! She'll be fine for a few weeks until she's more ready; it shouldn't start off as a battle -- everybody should be having a good time!

Girl IS my name July 9th, 2012 11:54 AM

Forward, sideways, upside down, doesn't matter... Unless she grabs it out of my hand, then of course it's a toy! Otherwise it all pisses her off! We are NOT having fun, haha. Maybe for the first few bites. Then after that, it' just a nightmare. I have a REALLY happy baby. Why am I pissing her off on purpose... Haha. (She's also started throwing tantrums in her car seat. EEK!

*krista* July 9th, 2012 01:33 PM

It really doesn't matter how you give it to her. The only reason she would need it right now is for iron (if you are bfing), and they are born with enough of that to get them through their first six months of life. She still has tongue thrust, which means she isn't ready for spoon feeding cereal no matter how hard you try. If you are really concerned about giving her cereal, bottle feeding it to her is fine. Then wait a month or two and try the spoon again. My dd wasn't ready for a spoon until past 7 months.

lovemylittlemiss July 9th, 2012 01:59 PM

I agree, best not to stress over it :) I'm trying to be more relaxed with this whole solids thing myself. Originally I wanted to exclusively breastfeed till 6 months but DD kept showing us more and more signs she's ready (can sit up unassisted, no extrusion reflex, grabs at our food etc). I decided to watch her signs and not the calendar and we gave her her first solids a few days ago. She's been eating like a champ and loves it. I guess my point is, I wouldn't worry about going against your doctor for this, listen to your baby!

ASoldiersLuckyCharm July 9th, 2012 08:17 PM

I would say do what you think is best. Why does the doctor want to push her on to food? Mine was being picky that Olivia had been on it for 3 weeks before her 4 months.

Girl IS my name July 10th, 2012 05:48 AM

She's concerned about her weight. And now she has me freaking out about it too. Aubree is really long and skinny.

Lsnmommy2011 July 10th, 2012 07:45 AM

I was previously putting cereal in a bottle of breast milk at night to see if he would sleep longer. His doctor hasn't expressed any concerns of him needing it. Didn't work so I quit. DS isn't too fond of a spoon either. I've tried baby food several times and he makes terrible faces. Im sure it's bc of the food not the spoon but I'm going to try again once a week until he quits making sour faces lol

ASoldiersLuckyCharm July 11th, 2012 12:09 PM

How much does she weigh? What is her percentage? I had a doctor freak out on me over David weight. Looking back now she was BONKERS. He was a good size not fat but not skinny. I got a better doctor with Zoey she was always around the 10% and always stayed there. I was very tiny I turned out ok. I was a day shy of 3 when my parents fostered me. They got me 3T-4T had to take it back due to it drowning me. I was wearing 12-18 months clothes at 3. Just go with your gut on her not all doctors are right. *hugs*

Girl IS my name July 11th, 2012 01:23 PM

She's in the 10th% for weight. She's normal with everything else, though.

ASoldiersLuckyCharm July 11th, 2012 01:43 PM

What percentage did she start off with being born? Zoey was 10% she was 6lbs 14 oz. And stayed 10%.. I think she is tiny looking at her pictures but I know it took David and Zoey forever to gain weight. They were in 0-3 close to 6 months then they started picking up weight.

Girl IS my name July 12th, 2012 08:16 AM

I'm not sure. The doctor said that the last time they weighed her she was in the 25%, but since she's grown an inch it knocked her into 10%.

Doodlebug06 July 12th, 2012 08:25 AM

Jade was in the 98% at her last visit and is wearing 18 month clothes. I haven't even started doing cereal yet because I'm afraid it will cause her to pack on more weight. I'm spoon feeding avocado and miso soup but that's about it asides from breast milk. And that's just to give her a small amount of substance and to develop good tastes.

I think avocado is high in fats though. ? Maybe try giving her that?