JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Appt Update (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/2553251-appt-update.html)

Belita July 24th, 2012 07:12 PM

Appt Update

I had a regular checkup at my OB today.

I gained a little bit too much with 5lbs since my last appt 3 weeks ago. My doctor is concerned I may have gestational diabetes because this is two times I've gained too much between appts and I made the changes the recommended after the last appt. However, we just spent the weekend at my in-laws' and my MIL cooks a ridiculous amount of food when we visit. I can normally resist eating too much, but when you put food in front of a pregnant woman... :sneak:

Anyways, I'm not concerned about those 2lbs I gained over the recommended amount. It's easily explained away by the overeating from this past weekend.

She commented on how active Sean was when she was listening to his heartbeat on the doppler. She also measured my fundal height for the first time and I'm in the normal range. :D

My next appt is in 4 weeks and I'll have the GTT then. I'm supposed to fast for 4 hours beforehand, but my OB does them first thing in the morning so it's mostly just trying to wait an extra hour to eat than I normally would.

~Tanya~ July 24th, 2012 07:20 PM

Re: Appt Update

I'm glad everything went well!!! I hope you don't have GD!

3kids3cats July 24th, 2012 09:05 PM

I wouldn't worry about the extra couple of pounds.
I'm kind of dreading getting weighed tomorrow...I've never had my Dr say anything about me gaining too much, but this time I feel like since I'm over 35 that I'm under more scrutiny. :P
I have probably gained 18 lbs thus far, which is totally on track for me with my other pregnancies.

baby wishing July 24th, 2012 09:16 PM

I hope all comes out well the GTT test! I did mine this morning - hoping no GD shows up. I have hypoglycemic episodes so I am worried about it. But back to you, I definitely think a weekend full of food would make the scale slightly higher than it would otherwise be. So I wouldn't worry about the weight gain. I also think if it was seriously worrisome to your OB, she wouldn't be waiting another 4 weeks for the GTT.

Belita July 25th, 2012 05:54 AM

Thanks! I'm not worried about it. I doubt I have GD. My doctor is very cautious with things and other doctors may not have even brought it up.

Leanne78 July 25th, 2012 06:31 AM

Yeah, I'm sure she is just being cautious. My doctor doesn't even mentions my weight gain. She's never harped on it unless it's really out of line or something. Glad everything else is looking good.

Hopolka July 25th, 2012 07:48 AM

I pray that its not GD. Sometimes I think they can read into weight gain or loss a little too much :P but that JMO. I'd still stay optimistic. :)

Also, you're extremely lucky you only have to fast for 4 hours...I have to fast for 12 :P. Not fun. THen I have a regular OB appointment right afterward. I asked if I could bring a snack so I don't pass out lol. Mines Aug. 14th :P

mrs.wagner.10 July 25th, 2012 08:40 AM

I hope its not GD. Im not suppose to fast for mine. I just need to eat a healthy breakfast.. I wonder why they want most of you ladies to fast.. :/

turtlefly July 25th, 2012 10:57 AM

i have mine next week, they said to fast because if i eat/drink something that raises my sugar ill have to do the 3 hr test :eek:

fireflyluna13 July 25th, 2012 11:39 AM

I hope it's not GD! I am glad your dr takes things seriously though, less likely to miss things that way.

Belita July 25th, 2012 04:03 PM

Well, last time I gained 10 lbs in 4 weeks. She wasn't even going to comment on it until I did! After the way she was worried about those 2lbs this time I was wishing I hadn't brought it up last time. ;) I agree, though, better overly cautious.

The way my doctor does it is you take the drink, have your appt, and then by the time your appt is done you shouldn't have too long to wait to get your blood drawn.

I really think it's too many meals out with friends and too much food at MIL's house. ;)