JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Crying while nursing?? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/2553443-crying-while-nursing.html)

HubbysSweetheart July 25th, 2012 08:22 AM

Crying while nursing??

The past few days several nursing sessions have been mainly crying fits. She will make it through the first letdown suck and swallow a few times and start screaming. She has milk running out of her mouth so I don't think this is a no-more-milk issue.... plus I have tried switching her to the other side and a few sucks later ... with milk in her mouth she's screaming again.

I have put a natural teething gel on her gums.... she has been teething for the past few weeks with a small break in between... to try and help with any gum pain. (I read to stay away from the numbing stuff as this can make it hard for them to nurse?)

She has also been choking alot lately, I don't know if this is due to her being distracted by whatever is causing her to cry or what.

Also, it seems that any time I feed her she wants to have a bowl movement... or pass gas and her tummy is all rumbly.

Yesterday she ate Ok for her 9 feeding.... didn't nap... fell asleep nursing at her 11:30 nusing... slept/nursed until 1:30 (she doesn't nap so if I have time and she'll sleep sometimes I'll do this.) Tried to feed her at 3pm and she cried so I thought it could be due to not too hungery? (normal feeding is around 2) Tried again at 5 and 7 and we cried then fell asleep at 7 because we were so tired. Cried again nursing then fell asleep at 9 pm.
She was sick over the weekend so her schedule has been messed up.

I know this is alot of info but I just don't know what's causing her to cry and thought if I explained what was going on some of you more experienced moms might be able to help. :)

Do they do this while teething? Is she just getting ready to go longer between feedings and is figuring stuff out? (She eats every 2 1/2 hrs but before she got sick she was starting to go from 11:30-3 pm instead of her normal 11:30-2pm) With so many poo's and wet gasses does she have diarrhea? The dr just checked her ears and said their fine.

Anyway, first time mom at a loss!!

Blue-Jay July 25th, 2012 09:09 AM

Re: Crying while nursing??

I haven't been through this yet, but what you are describing is almost word for word what my books say about teething. It causes pain, and sometimes the suction from nursing intensifies it. Teething can also cause diarrhea and definitely can lead to problems sleeping. The choking is probably caused by excess saliva, which is another symptom of teething. Everything sounds totally normal to me, and I know it's so awful to watch them in distress, but there's not a whole lot you can do except comfort her when you can. I hope that tooth pops through soon for you both! (Btw, they say that the first tooth causes the most trouble, and then the babies get used to it and handle it better -- til the molars come).

~Mindy~ July 25th, 2012 10:32 AM

It could be teething, but it sounds to me like she may be having tummy aches. I think sometimes when their tummy hurts, they mistake it for being hungry and want to nurse. Then quickly realize that it's only making their tummy hurt more because they're not really hungry. Have you started solids yet?

lovemylittlemiss July 25th, 2012 11:47 AM

If it is the teething maybe you could try giving her expressed milk in a sippy cup? Maybe she could chew on it and it would take away from her associating the pain of teething with the breast. I'm always trying to keep a positive association with the boobie :lol:, I don't know if it really makes a difference. Our little lady loves to gnaw on her sippy cup.

HubbysSweetheart July 25th, 2012 05:46 PM

I have tried pumped milk in a bottle, she chewed on it for a bit, but as soon as she got some milk going she started crying so I mixed the rest with a bit of rice cereal and she ate that fine from a spoon.... go figure.

Yes, she's been on rice and oatmeal cereal for about a month. It didn't really seem to bother her so????

At least today has been a bit better. :)

Teething..... poor thing has got four teeth trying to come in... keep coming out and going back in :(

Spyctre July 25th, 2012 09:07 PM

Orajel has never bothered mine. A cake the nighttime stuff on, and they nurse like champs. Babies like to nurse when they are in pain so teething or tummyaches could do it. Have you tried gas drops?

*krista* July 26th, 2012 05:33 AM

She might just be wanting to comfort suck because of the pain and be getting ticked off when the milk comes. It is very normal for them to not want to eat as much while teething or sick.