JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/)
-   -   UTI (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/2555003-uti.html)

rlh27 July 29th, 2012 05:15 PM

UTI

Does anybody know if they check for UTIs when they check your urine at the OB? I have been feeling just overall miserable this weekend. Achy, low-grade fever, some bladder pain, etc. It's not strong UTI symptoms, but I don't know what else could be making me feel so miserable. If they check at the OB, then I don't want to go again to the doctor because I was just there Thursday and they would have caught it then. I hate going to the doctor and being told that nothing is wrong.

I'm also slightly concerned that I have mono because somebody I work with has it. I had it about 13 years ago and thought you couldn't get it twice, but this is the second time this person had it and his doctor said it's a myth that you can't get it twice :( I've been so tired this weekend, I slept 10 hours last night and then took a 3 hour nap this afternoon and am still exhausted... but I also get this way whenever I have a bad UTI. So who knows. Anybody know if they check for UTIs at the OB?

daffneyc July 29th, 2012 05:18 PM

Re: UTI

THey usually do, but if you went on Thursday it may not have shown up in your urine by then so it might be worth another trip. Hope you feel better soon. :(

crystalcherry July 29th, 2012 05:34 PM

They should be checking for it at every visit but unless the numbers are really high they may not even pay attention. As for Mono I know you are always a carrier so it would seem that you could get it again. I had a form of Epstein Barr which is similar but more severe just a few months after Elijah was born and was in the hospital for a month. They told me that if I came into contact with someone with the active virus and my immuine system was compromised (even pregnancy) that there was a chance mine could activate. If you are concerned call and ask them to do a quick blood test.

mlc52811 July 29th, 2012 05:39 PM

That sounds like how I felt when I had such a bad bladder infection it had spread to my kidney :( I'd go to the doctor just to find out what's making you so miserable. I know it sucks to have to go again right after you were just at the OB... I hate going to the doctor, especially often haha.

Crystallee July 29th, 2012 07:21 PM

My doc said they don't check it every time unless you give them a reason to suspect an infection because they don't ask you to do a clean catch every time where they have you use the wipes and all that. The only time they check it is if they asked you to do a clean catch.

Cassie.S July 30th, 2012 05:50 AM

I don't know but I really hope you feel better soon! That sounds awful.

rlh27 July 30th, 2012 06:50 AM

Okay, off to the walk-in I go. Hopefully they won't be too busy. Ugh, with my luck they won't find anything and I'll just waste a co-pay.

anna.rose July 30th, 2012 06:58 AM

Good luck mama! They're pretty easy to cure, just obnoxious, so hopefully that's all it is!

rlh27 July 30th, 2012 09:53 AM

I think the doctor got her MD out of a cracker jack box. First off, the nurse said to me "Are you sure you're 20 weeks, you don't look like you're even out of your first trimester". Umm...yes, I know how pregnant I am. They did the urine dip, and the nurse came in to take my temperature (low grade fever after taking tylenol, obviously an infection somewhere), and while she was in there she told me my levels were elevated. The doctor comes in later, tells me that all pregnant women are miserable and feel crumby, and I just need to deal with it. She said I didn't have a UTI and I should just go call my OB next time I think there's something wrong with me. I told her that I know the difference between feeling crumby from being pregnant and feeling sick. I told her I'd been around somebody with mono, and what my symptoms were, and she said "well there's no way to diagnose mono and your chances of getting it are close to zero anyways. I told her that the person I've been around has a pregnant wife who had had it before and they told them that pregnant women are significantly more likely to get it especially if they've had it before, and she said "well, I don't see a need to send the lab any of your blood. If you have it, then it's not like anything would change, it's not like your job is hard or anything." She then told me to stop taking my prenatals because that is probably increasing my morning sickness and to use Afrin (major pregnancy no-no) to stop my nose bleeds. I'm so mad right now. Waste of several hours of my life and a copay.

anna.rose July 30th, 2012 10:15 AM

Yikes! I would call your OB and schedule an appointment. That's just NOT okay. When I went to urgent care when I was VERY early on with another sinus infection (gotta love what you catch working in public schools) that wasn't resolving itself, I got a very, very new doctor. I stressed that I was pregnant AND still BFing at the time and I needed safe antibiotics. The moron gave me something that was dangerous for both (and I knew that so I just scheduled an appointment with my doctor the following Monday, it was a weekend). Sometimes those urgent care/ walk in clinic/ ER doctors lose sight of what's important and treat their clinic like a factory line.

I hope you feel better soon!