JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/)
-   -   has the doctor commented on your weight? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/2555912-has-doctor-commented-your-weight.html)

KarenHaley July 31st, 2012 04:49 PM

has the doctor commented on your weight?

I went for my 22 week check up today and the doctor told me I hadn't gained enough weight in the past two months, and that I need to gain 1lb each week from now on. I was already overweight to begin with, the idea of gaining 17 more lbs is hard to bare! I am only 4lbs behind what she wants me to be, I don't feel that's enough to comment on. I'm actually eating like a pig already, so I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to do.

Have you gotten any comments?

anexia July 31st, 2012 05:00 PM

Re: has the doctor commented on your weight?

Dr's are often uptight about this and it can depend on so many things. I gained lots more with my boys than I did with my girls and my boys were both early and tiny. my girls went close to due date and were a healthier weight. don't let it worry you too much. As long as the baby is growing thats what matters.

rlh27 July 31st, 2012 05:05 PM

I had only gained a pound last visit, so I'm still at -9, and I started out at an average weight. My doctor isn't concerned because the baby is growing perfectly. The only thing she said about it to me was to see if I wasn't gaining still from m/s and if I needed more Zofran. I'm not sure why your doctor is so concerned about it. If you are eating fairly healthy and the baby is growing, I don't know what the problem is. If you don't gain by next visit, I think you should try to retain a bunch of water before your apt and wear some heavy clothes :)

KarenHaley July 31st, 2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlh27 (Post 26343443)
If you don't gain by next visit, I think you should try to retain a bunch of water before your apt and wear some heavy clothes :)

LOL, love this idea!

Gripstress July 31st, 2012 05:13 PM

Yeah that's pretty weird to me too. I've just barely started gaining at all and I'd lost 20. My MWs haven't cared at all. Don't listen to that dr...if you were two lbs over he'd probably say something too.

Blcooper32 July 31st, 2012 05:20 PM

Mine hasn't even said anything and I'm down 11 and having twins...as long as the baby is growing I would not try to gain any faster then you have to...less to lose later...:)

Miss Kelly July 31st, 2012 06:51 PM

My doc said she would like me to gain a pound a week but as long as baby is growing correctly, I don't care :)

taatie10 July 31st, 2012 07:05 PM

No but I havent been in 4 weeks. I go on Friday for my next appt. Well see what I weigh now and see what happens. My scale at home says about 11-12 lbs so I'm hoping their scale says the same.

Crystallee July 31st, 2012 07:09 PM

Mine has just asked if my weight gain has been "good" because he was worried about all the nausea but didn't seem to care one way or the other when I told him I was down like 9ish lbs.

caajje6 July 31st, 2012 07:44 PM

Mine never says anything about my weight. The only time he did was with my 6th pregnancy at the very end he commented that I had only gained 21 lbs and that it was pretty impressive. But when I gained 80 lbs with my 5th pregnancy he said nothing about my weight the entire time.

jpjmom July 31st, 2012 09:28 PM

My weight is driving me crazy cause I am not gaining any either but I was overweight to begin with my doctor has not been concerned but he was very happy to see my 1lb weight gain last appointment. Since then I am down 7 more. I am totally not doing it on purpose.

daffneyc July 31st, 2012 09:32 PM

I get bummed out reading these because I feel like I'm the only one thats gained anything. I'm up between 15-17 lbs depending on the day. My last appt I had a huge jump of ten pounds and it looks like at my Thursday appt there won't be much of anything (maybe a pound, depending on my water situation). He did mention the big jump this last appt but said I was still in the normal range.

Don't get offended if I'm not responding anymore to these threads. It seriously depresses me a little so I need to quit worrying about it and comparing myself to everyone else. :cool:

Shades of Grey July 31st, 2012 09:41 PM

I am still right about where I was when I started, maybe up a few pounds. The only thing he said last appt was 'thats not surprising with how sick you've been'. That was 5 weeks ago though. I still havent gained anymore than that, I have an appt on thursday so I guess we'll see.

jpjmom July 31st, 2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daffneyc (Post 26344431)
I get bummed out reading these because I feel like I'm the only one thats gained anything. I'm up between 15-17 lbs depending on the day. My last appt I had a huge jump of ten pounds and it looks like at my Thursday appt there won't be much of anything (maybe a pound, depending on my water situation). He did mention the big jump this last appt but said I was still in the normal range.

Don't get offended if I'm not responding anymore to these threads. It seriously depresses me a little so I need to quit worrying about it and comparing myself to everyone else. :cool:

I am really sorry hun I no it is rough to put on weight just remember it is diffrent for everyone. I am already a big girl 210lbs is not healthy. If you were smaller when you got pregnant your body needs to gain weight for you to be healthy. It is rough either way I just want my baby to be healthy and I feel like the baby is starving cause I am losing so much weight. Its scary. I hate that anything that is posted makes you unhappy and thank you for letting us know. It is important that you feel comfortable here even if you don't post on the thread. Just make sure you keep posting in other places and remember this is a safe place to post about anything that is bothering you. No judgment it helps me to know I am not the only one with that problem.

daffneyc July 31st, 2012 10:24 PM

That's whats hard for me though, I'm not smaller. With my first I was 160 or so before and ended at 228:eek: And with my second I started around 170 and ended at 230. With this one I started around 198 and now am about 216. I've actually done MUCH better with this pregnancy than I did my other two eating and excercise wise. But I'm desperately trying to keep it at the 230 mark. It's scary, but not uncharted territory for me so at least I feel like I can come back from that. Anything more scares the living crap out of me. It's frustrating because I've been super sick too. It's getting better, but still....*sigh*. I just need to quit comparing myself to others is all. I know the other end can be just as frustrating. It's just a really hard thing for me is all.

Super - Mommy August 1st, 2012 03:50 AM

Doctor hasn't said anything to me but I haven't been there in a month, I go tomorrow. I've only gained 1 MAYBE 2 pounds in the last month.... which brings my whole total in this pregnancy so far only to 8 pounds.

BrooklynBump August 1st, 2012 08:17 AM

I haven't gained any weight (gained 2 pounds last month, lost 2 pounds this month but Im pretty sure it was all poop). My doctor didn't say anything one way or the other but considering Im already overweight, Im pretty happy that I havent gained too fast and that is just less weight i have to worry about losing later. Thankfully i havent had much M/S and Im eating plenty so I dont feel like I not getting nourishment.

When you look at the stats it seems to say that if you are overweight you should only gain about 20lbs max anyway. If you figure you real expansion time is the second half, not gaining much at the start is a plus. Honestly I dont think i have much control over the weight thing. All I can do is try not to overeat and maintain a balanced diet. Some people gain a lot and some people gain less - its really random to me.

When I gained the 2 pounds last month, my doctor did comment that it was "good". Not sure if he meant it was good that I had only gained 2 or that it was good that I had gained something but since he didnt say anything when the 2 lbs disappeared, Ill assume the latter. All that said, my doctor is pretty laid back so I dont think he would be too worried either way.

Cassie.S August 1st, 2012 08:45 AM

Mine was the opposite. My doc said that I need to keep an eye on my weight, at my last appointment. She didn't say it was bad yet, but to watch it.

So Daffney, don't feel bad! You're not the only one gaining!

Nervous Newbie August 1st, 2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daffneyc (Post 26344431)

I am right there with ya. I have actually lost a lot of my appetite lately and don't want to eat and have still managed to gain 15 lbs already and I am only 5'0 tall :( Plus I started at like 150. I had this whole plan in my head to lose about 15 lbs before we got pregnant, but the whole thing happened way faster than I though it would, I didn't even have a chance to attempt to lose weight. My Dr hasn't said anything to me yet and I was just there last Friday so hopefully it doesn't get too outta hand.

IamVillanueva August 1st, 2012 11:08 AM

I'm suprised my doc hasn't said anything. At my 20 week appt, I had gained 20 lbs. I expected her to say something, but I'm glad she didnt. I started at 138, so I don't have any excuse for the weight gain. I still workout 3-4 times per week. I never gained weight this fast before, but I'm not really worried. It'll suck when it's time to lose it all, but I'll just go back to counting calories like I did before the baby.