JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Anxious about baby getting sick (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/2559135-anxious-about-baby-getting-sick.html)

~l~ August 8th, 2012 07:07 PM

Anxious about baby getting sick

Okay, please, please, please, do not let this turn into a debate. But, I am seriously so nervous about my baby getting whooping cough! I have been reading up on it and the site I was just reading (webmd) said that deaths are most likely to happen in infants less than 3 months. I am all about keeping my baby to myself and keeping our family mostly at home for three months, but our parents, siblings, etc will want to meet the baby and I cannot make them wait three months:p Obviously, I do have places to go, but I plan to wear her in a carrier so people cannot get too close. From what I read, whooping cough lives in the respiratory tract and is spread through sneezing and coughing, often by people who do not know they have it. So, asking everyone to wash their hands isn't going to matter if they want to get close enough to breathe on my baby!!
So what do I do? I cannot prevent our parents, siblings from holding the baby, but I kind of want to! I don't want to let fear control my life, but I am scared! :confused: I always thought it was weird how some moms were so paranoid about babies getting sick, but that was before I heard so much about whooping cough and now I am becoming a weird, paranoid mom! Tell me I am overreacting...

mrs.wagner.10 August 8th, 2012 07:14 PM

Re: Anxious about baby getting sick

I am the same way! Everyone in my family thanks to my wishes have gotten the wooping cough vaccination. I havent because I am pregnant but will get it as soon as Cole is born. Im doing delayed vaccinations and so I was concerned about it. That is a option just explain to them your fears. I told everyone in my family that they were not going to be allowed in the house or to hold the baby with out it. I have no issue being upfront with my family. I am thankful that they all respect my wishes and share my same fears. We wont be leaving the house for a while after he is born due to it being flu season. But I also have started stocking up on Lysol and Germ X. Dh works with the public so I know hes going to bring stuff home with him and theres really no way to avoid it. I also am going to be exclusively BF to help boost his immune system.

wild&free August 8th, 2012 07:14 PM

Honestly it is ALL about YOUR comfort level and peace of mind. I have friends who don't go out with baby until after they are 3 months old, it's not what I would do, but who am I to judge them for their choices on how to parent? :)

I'm the opposite. Me and my mom took Eli to Target at 4-5 days old (after a c/s too :eek:) because I felt so cooped up in the house! Then I took him on a 6 hour road trip to my best friends wedding at 2 weeks old.
I think it just depends on your personality and perspective. I think if you feel strongly about it and it makes you anxious, keep baby at home. If you feel it is what's best then don't let anyone make you feel like you are overreacting!

KatherineD August 8th, 2012 07:27 PM

I'm not paranoid about such things, just never been something that crosses my mind for more than a second. My girls are in school that I have to drive them to, so it's unavoidable for me to stay home, especially with DH's schedule. He's actually supposed to be home for 3 weeks this time around! But anyways, my girls have had the vax, I haven't (and I read you're not supposed to while pregnant or nursing), but I'm not too worried about it. In the end, it's your baby and you have the right to ask anyone to wash their hands before they touch her.

meddleman August 8th, 2012 07:32 PM

I am concerned about whooping cough, too, especially since a friend of mine's 2 week old was hospitalized with it after he got it from a friend of theirs little girl who doesn't do vaccinations. I meant to ask my OB about it, and want DH to get the vax before the babies are here, especially since they could be immuno-compromised. I am also worried since Nora will be in preschool and they always seem to bring all sorts of illnesses home from there :/ we don't do flu vaccines but am considering getting them for them this year especially if the twins are early. We don't stay home for a certain amount of time (and won't be able to with Nora in school) but I will try to keep people away asuch as we can.

Nicole1481 August 8th, 2012 07:43 PM

I agree with Kellie, totally about your comfort level. :smile:

For us, Im not worried about it. I have kids in school and involved in activities. I cannot stay home for the first few months.

Leanne78 August 9th, 2012 05:55 AM

Are you in an area where it is a problem? I know I read something recently about it being a big issue in WA, but I never hear of anything around here. I probably will not have baby out anyways for most of the winter, but I do have all of DH's family flying in from WA at Christmas time. If any of them get my baby sick, they're in for a world of hurt! ;)

clm817 August 9th, 2012 07:56 AM

I'm worried about the baby getting sick this year since my oldest will be in school and schools/daycare are a breeding ground for sickness. Even with diligent hand washing and using hand sanitizer, I got the flu when Evan was only 2 weeks old. I was so worried he was going to catch it and how do you stay away from a nursing 2week old? Luckily he didn't get it but him and the other 2 got ear infections and rsv when he was 4 months old. That scared the crap out of me. And the only places we'd go in the winter were grocery shopping on the weekends. So even staying in, sometimes it's just unavoidable.

Derby Girl August 9th, 2012 08:20 AM

WOW, I never even thought about this. I hear about it on the news with back to school. What age do they start administering vaccinations for whooping cough? I know in California any child going into middle school has to get it. My son is 10 and just started 5th grade. Should I ask his doctor about him getting one "just in case". With my son I was out and about within' the first week. I can't stand being cooped up!

Glycerin19 August 9th, 2012 08:58 AM

My husband and I both got whooping cough back in April. It was awful. It spread to our dog too. My kids were all vaccinated and didn't get sick, but we hadn't had boosters and were vulnerable. I have to tell you that being sick and in the first trimester coughing constantly was truly one of the worst things ever. I was in constant fear that something would happen to the baby. I was sick for four weeks, my husband closer to six. I've already told everyone in my family that exposure will be limited unless they are getting boosters. I do have a bit of extra protection in that the antibodies from my having it will go through the breastmilk. I think the same works for the vax, but ask you dr. If that's the case, then as long as you are vaxed, you will be helping the baby by nursing.

Oh and we don't live in WA. We live in GA. I think a few of my friends had it too because there were several of us adults that were coughing for quite a long time. All of the kids (all vaxed) were fine. But I don't know that anyone got an official diagnosis so I can't say for sure it was whooping cough for them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clm817 (Post 26380481)
I'm worried about the baby getting sick this year since my oldest will be in school and schools/daycare are a breeding ground for sickness. Even with diligent hand washing and using hand sanitizer, I got the flu when Evan was only 2 weeks old. I was so worried he was going to catch it and how do you stay away from a nursing 2week old? Luckily he didn't get it but him and the other 2 got ear infections and rsv when he was 4 months old. That scared the crap out of me. And the only places we'd go in the winter were grocery shopping on the weekends. So even staying in, sometimes it's just unavoidable.

Actually, you nursing was the best thing you can do :) You pass along all of your antibodies through the BM to the baby and probably kept them healthy. It's one of the best parts about nursing, IMO. My babies never get sick even when the rest of us are because I'm keeping them protected. I wished so badly I'd still be nursing when we had the stomach flu several years back so that I could have kept the kids from getting it (or getting a much milder version.)