JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Tuesday Two (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/2561105-tuesday-two.html)

Belita August 13th, 2012 10:25 PM

Tuesday Two

Do you plan to use cloth diapers or disposable?

What led you to your decision?

*Izzy's*Mommy* August 14th, 2012 12:09 AM

Re: Tuesday Two

Cloth

Helping the environment is a big one! Also sposie's are full of yucky chemicals. Cloth is cute, and once you build up your stash....so much cheaper!

LiamsMother August 14th, 2012 05:39 AM

Disposable! In my native country, they mainly use cloth diapers and they get to be so gross. With disposables, the kids don't feel their wetness and they're deodorized to keep the stink (mainly from urine) away.

rhill4455 August 14th, 2012 05:48 AM

Disposable!

1.) DH refuses to even consider using cloth because he says it seems too complicated.
2.) I am always getting behind in the laundry for 5 people as it is. I can't imagine having another to add to the laundry with cloth diapers on top of it. Just the thought overwhelms me!

KatherineD August 14th, 2012 06:01 AM

Cloth!

I did it with both girls and found it to be just as easy with disposables. Our main reason at first was cost. Being a SAHM, I try to save money where I can. I was lucky we were doing cloth with E, because she ended up being allergic to disposables in the beginning.

~Tanya~ August 14th, 2012 06:08 AM

I would love to try cloth, but with school & work it will probably be easier to use disposables.

fancypants27 August 14th, 2012 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiamsMother (Post 26399646)
Disposable! In my native country, they mainly use cloth diapers and they get to be so gross. With disposables, the kids don't feel their wetness and they're deodorized to keep the stink (mainly from urine) away.

You can get cloth diapers that are lined with fabric that wicks away moisture so baby stays dry...

We actually use both - Cloth at home or short excursions. And disposables for overnight or when we go out for longer periods of time.

We started using cloth diapers because of the cost of disposables. But also because they are so darn cute.

MomtoCarly&Sofia August 14th, 2012 07:47 AM

Disposables. Laundry is already a PITA with four people. Having to carry it down to flights of stairs to the basement and then up again takes forever. I used cloth with both girls, but I just won't have the time, this time.

Almondeyes August 14th, 2012 07:57 AM

Disposables. I can't sit there and clean poop or put it in my machine. It kind if grosses me out. Power to all of you ladies who can.

Leanne78 August 14th, 2012 08:04 AM

We are going to use cloth this time. Mainly for overall cost savings and because I am sick of disposables. The cloth diapers now a days are nothing like what they used to use. There are so many options and some are just as easy as sposies. Yeah, there's always the old prefold with safety pins and rubber pants, but that's the bargain basement, cheapest option and there are so many other types out there that blow those out of the water. I'm switching Akadia over too until she potty trains. I'm getting them tomorrow and can't wait to try them out. These are what I am using for her:

Bum Genius 4.0's (Pocket Diaper) - Buy 5, Get 1 FREE bumGenius 4.0 One-Size Stay-Dry Cloth Diaper - Diaper Packages - Cotton Babies Cloth Diaper Store

Flip Cover System (use inserts, disposable inserts or prefolds folded in 3rds) - Buy 2 Get 1 FREE! Flip: One-Size Diaper Cover - Flip Hybrid Diaper System - Cotton Babies Cloth Diaper Store

There are some decent sales at Cottonbabies.com for those 2 systems right now so I didn't spend near the asking price on those. Ended up with 3 free BG 4.0's and 1 free Flip cover.

I may be back here in a few days saying how much cloth diapering stinks, but for now I'm excited to try it. ;) I will admit already that figuring out what to get has been a pain in the butt because there are so MANY options. It gets a little overwhelming and I'm sure there will be some trial and error until I figure out what works best for us.

Jannell August 14th, 2012 08:28 AM

Cloth for sure. They are way cuter. Sposies gross me out. Beside once I got the hang of cloth it is addicting! ;)

::MummyToThree:: August 14th, 2012 08:37 AM

Do you plan to use cloth diapers or disposable? cloth

What led you to your decision? DS is allergic to disposables thanks to a chemical burn from pampers when he was 2 months old. He is now still in cloth so its just easier. I will never buy disposables ever again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almondeyes (Post 26400173)
Disposables. I can't sit there and clean poop or put it in my machine. It kind if grosses me out. Power to all of you ladies who can.

Not to start a debate buy you don't have to 'clean poop' its the same as disposables, you flush the solids (when its solid) and then stick the diaper in a wet bag until its wash time. Did you know on the side of the disposable packets it says that solids need to be flushed?

I too said the same thing about my machine when my daughter was born and thought cloth was disgusting and no way would I ever do it. Well I was forced into cloth as my son is allergic to disposables.

Someone said to me that I will be washing poop, pee and vomited on clothes anyway.... and was I going to throw those things out so I didn't have to wash them. Kinda put things into perspective.

LindsayGriff August 14th, 2012 09:03 AM

We are using disposables because daycare doesn't do cloth diapers and I am not going to deal with both kinds.

BabyLove23 August 14th, 2012 09:07 AM

Disposables

Like the others said, I have too much laundry as it is, and Ill never get DH onboard with cloth diapers. I had no issues with disposables the first time, so I plan on doing it again this time

white.house August 14th, 2012 09:38 AM

We use both.
Started using cloth to save money and they're cute :)

Belita August 14th, 2012 10:08 AM

I'm going to use cloth, but disposables for weekends away or vacation. as of right now I plan to use disposable wipes, though.

I initially was interested in cloth for the savings, but now am determined to make it work for me because of baby's comfort. I thought about the laundry, but I'm going to be washing all kinds of bodily fluids and excrement with a baby anyways and I don't throw out clothes after one wear just to cut down on laundry, so I decided I didn't feel it was justified for myself to use that as an excuse for not using cloth, especially since I'll be staying at home.

Think4Yourself August 14th, 2012 03:40 PM

We are going to be using cloth.

We used cloth with DS from a year and a half on and it was nothing like I expected at all.

They are easy, adorable, easy to wash, and free of chemicals. Disposables stink much more when they are poo'd in, and they made DS's butt bleed, literally bleed from chemical burns when the diapers we used switched along with many other brands to the new liner.

Leanne78 August 14th, 2012 04:31 PM

Robyn - I wasn't going to use cloth wipes either at first and I probably will still have disposable ones in the diaper bag. I got to thinking about what I do with the disposables though. I always clean the bum and shove the wipe inside the diaper before I roll it up. It's totally habit now. I don't want to have to have a separate trash can just for dirty wipes, so I figure with cloth wipes, I'll just do what I've always done, stick them in the diaper and put it all in the wet bag. I'm already washing the diapers, so the wipes aren't really an extra chore for me. We'll see how it actually goes in practice though!

Belita August 14th, 2012 04:51 PM

That's always been my habit, too, but it's been so long that I think it won't be hard to break it. I might decide to do cloth wipes later on but I think if he's a peanut buttery pooper I'm going to prefer disposable wipes!

KatherineD August 14th, 2012 04:55 PM

I used cloth wipes at home and disposable when out. I'd just wash the wipe with the dipes and never had any issues, just threw them away after the wash/dry cycle.