JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Goals (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/2563997-goals.html)

rlh27 August 21st, 2012 08:33 AM

Goals

I was wondering if ya'll have set goals or if you're just going to go with the flow.

My goal is to EBF for at least the first 6 months and to not cave if things are rough those first few weeks.

gardenbelle August 21st, 2012 02:20 PM

Re: Goals

That's a great goal - 6 months of exclusive breastmilk is awesome! :)
My goals this time around are to get him/her to accept a bottle before I miss the window like last time. LOL I'd love to have the freedom to get out of the house for more than 3 hour increments through their babyhood. As far as nursing length, my goal is anything past a year. :) I already did the lengthy nursing to 25 months and I don't know if I'm up for it again, we'll see. DH and I have our 10 year anniversary in 2014 and plan on going away for a week without the kids so I'd ideally like to be all done by then.

May14th2011 August 21st, 2012 06:32 PM

I think I'm just going to take your goals, Lucy. That's exactly what I was thinking.

Honestly, I'm kind of a wimp about pain, so that's my main concern, is that it's going to hurt a bunch and I'll just give up. So really, my goal is not giving up due to pain

Crystallee August 22nd, 2012 02:29 AM

My goal is to extended bf but my minimum goal is 1 year.

rlh27 August 22nd, 2012 08:56 AM

Mary, your goal reminds me of one of my other "goals" and that's to NOT become a human passy. I hear so many differing opinions, but I've decided that as soon as we get good at nursing, I'm going to try to introduce a passy. I was a major thumb sucker and it took my parents YEARS to break that habit, so I'd rather he take a passy because I can take that away. I don't want to be nursing every time he needs to suck to calm down.

MarlowesMum August 23rd, 2012 07:52 AM

FWIW Lucy, Marlowe actually refused a pacifier until she STOPPED breastfeeding - she just had no interest in it until then. (She then used one from 15 months to 24 months. Then she was a big girl and she had to give it up. :) )

Still, she wasn't glued to my breast like some kids. I BF her until she was 15 months old, but because I was returning to work, I made sure to introduce the bottle at about 3 weeks, so that other people could feed her too. As a result, I managed to exclusively breastfeed her when we were together, and for her also to have breastmilk from other people when I was away.

nina9809 October 5th, 2012 01:03 PM

I want to breast feed only (from the breast) for the first 6 months. My work is going to make that possible for me!

MarlowesMum October 5th, 2012 01:38 PM

That's awesome Nina! With you in exclusive moo-cow status - I hope Dan realizes he's got to pick up the slack in other ways...like getting the baby for those middle of the night feedings (even if it just means handing the baby to you).

nina9809 October 5th, 2012 01:45 PM

I hope Dan is realizes he needs to pick up the other slack too - only time will tell. I am thinking about co-sleeping anyway for the first few months (if Dan can handle it) so those middle of the night feedings will be easier.

~Landon's Mommy~ October 20th, 2012 08:01 PM

My goal is one year. If I can get past the first few weeks, I think I will be okay. :)

Shades of Grey December 3rd, 2012 03:41 PM

If I can make it to 6 months, I will be ecstatic. With Greyson, I couldnt keep up production past 6 weeks. Im determined to make it further this time. I wont be going to work like last time, Ive got a good pump, and I just feel its going to be that much more important for this little one. Ive also done much more research in herbal supplements and essential oils that may help. Im going to try everything I can!

MarlowesMum December 4th, 2012 06:25 AM

Remember that ultimately - breastfeeding is all about supply and demand. If you're not getting enough supply, then you need to up the demand. A good pump will help with that - particularly if you have a lazy/sleepy feeder in the beginning. Obviously, there are some exceptions to this rule (medical conditions, and whatnot) but in my experience a lot of the women who give up on breastfeeding do so because they just aren't aware of/don't like the time dedication that it can take in the beginning to get your supply going. And honestly, I get that. It's frustrating - and (duh) time consuming, which is tough during a time when you are already completely exhausted.

You can do it, Ashleigh!

hilhillrn December 4th, 2012 01:01 PM

I honestly have no worries about being able to BF. Im pretty darn stubborn and with my girls I overproduced and even if there is a problem, I have a BFing doctor I can go see. I nursed my DD until 20 mos, I would still be nursing her but she busted her tongue in an accident and has never nursed since. Sad. I hope to let this LO self-wean, hopefully he'll make it to at least 2 yrs old, but I wouldnt mind longer than that. We'll see.

Shades of Grey December 24th, 2012 03:48 PM

My goals have changed a bit with our circumstances. Im exclusively pumping as we are still working on Truetts eating by mouth vs the feeding tube. They do offer to let me try to breastfeed while we are there but knowing that the main goal for him to come home is taking 100% by mouth (we are at 60% now), I just want to make sure he is meeting his minimum and get him home as soon as possible. Once we have gotten him to that point, I will start working on breastfeeding again and will probably try the SNS also. One little step at a time. Right now-pump and make sure what he is getting is breastmilk rather than formula, and take it all by mouth!

Gripstress December 26th, 2012 12:52 AM

I'm pretty stubborn too Hilary. I do have some production issues but that's why I pump twice per day and have since day 2. I will do what I have to do to build and keep my supply. My goal is always 1 year with anything after being bonus until they want to stop or I dry up.

Ashleigh, I think it's awesome that you are working so hard to give Truett the best possible start. I know it's rough pumping day and night and not having baby home with you but you are doing a fantastic job of doing everything you can. Hope you can bring him home asap and have him where he belongs :heart:

MarlowesMum December 27th, 2012 07:44 AM

I'm so proud of you for working so hard to do this for Truett, Ashleigh! It takes so much time/energy to breastfeed - but it's so worth it in the long run.

Wishinfor2ndblessing December 27th, 2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shades of Grey (Post 26903496)
My goals have changed a bit with our circumstances. Im exclusively pumping as we are still working on Truetts eating by mouth vs the feeding tube. They do offer to let me try to breastfeed while we are there but knowing that the main goal for him to come home is taking 100% by mouth (we are at 60% now), I just want to make sure he is meeting his minimum and get him home as soon as possible. Once we have gotten him to that point, I will start working on breastfeeding again and will probably try the SNS also. One little step at a time. Right now-pump and make sure what he is getting is breastmilk rather than formula, and take it all by mouth!

Keep it up Ashley. I know it's hard...I am exclusively pumping as well. Sophia got to use to the bottle in the NICU. Sometimes she latches but she falls asleep pretty quickly and doesn't get her fill. I swear my freezer is being taken over by milk right now. At least we aren't low on supply lol.

Shades of Grey December 27th, 2012 01:51 PM

Thank you ladies, I appreciate the support! I get frustrated easily right now. If I dont get his minimum in one pumping session, Im very disappointed. Though each time I pump at the hospital, the nurses are always supportive. They must know I need the encouragement!

Gripstress December 27th, 2012 04:00 PM

I get that disappointment Ashleigh. It really messes with your head but I bet he's doing just fine and so are you. I have always had supply issues...making JUST enough with lots of extra work(pumpings & herbs). I know if I had twins I would not be able to keep up. Today I pumped and my boobs seemed full but I only got just over an ounce after about 30 minutes...so frustrating as I was making so much more. Pumping sucks enough without feeling like it's not quite enough. Anyway keep your chin up and keep on keepin on.

Hey do you use cloth wipes once home? Sorry OT :)

Shades of Grey December 27th, 2012 07:04 PM

Yeah, I get excited when I get more than his minimum and so discouraged when its under. The nurse last night said to pump for an extra 2 minutes after empty to simulate baby being hungry still and 24 hours later, you'll produce the extra amount. So Ive been doing that every time, pumping an extra couple minutes after I think Im done. Between that, the fenugreek, placenta capsules, some shatavari... Hopefully I'll start to get ahead of him. Just in time for his 2 week (hopeful) growth spurt.

I havent decided if I'm going to use cloth wipes full time. I will when he has diaper rash as I want to fill a spray bottle with an essential oil mix that will protect his bum and not effect the cloth diapers. I love Huggies wipes though. They are like magic, they work on ANYthing. Greyson is nearly 5 and I have still had wipes around all the time. Do you use cloth wipes?