JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Gagging on food? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/2567727-gagging-food.html)

HubbysSweetheart August 30th, 2012 05:03 PM

Gagging on food?

Chloe has eaten rice and oatmeal cereal since 4 months, since about 5 months I've slowly been introducing a vegi and fruit her and there. She loved everything when she had it but butternut squash got grainy after freezing (made own) and she didn't like it next go around.... don't necessarily blame her.... so I didn't force it. Carrot started out a bit grainy but she seems to be handling it Ok.

Anyways we have always LOVED sweet potatoes as well as our fruits (I think she has a sweet tooth like her parents:) ) Yesterday I noticed that we weren't excited to take our sweet potatoes to begin with but after a few bites were just fine. Well this morning she gagged when I tried to feed her sweet potatoes and threw up. She does this on occasion (not just while feeding) because of trapped air so I didn't really attribute it to the sweet potatoes, but then we gagged through several more bites and I mixed it with peaches to get her to take the rest.

This afternoon we were wanting to gag on the carrots mixed in some rice and we got it down with alot of shuddering and gagging..... but yet we weren't refusing to eat and still opened our mouth :confused:
As a reward for making it through all the gagging I gave her some pears... she gagged a bit till she realized what they were. :)

Is this something they just go through? Like I said she has always loved her sweet potatoes and I know she needs her veggies....Ideas?

Spyctre August 31st, 2012 07:07 AM

Re: Gagging on food?

Babies do have a really sensitive gag reflex...

Maybe she just doesn't like the taste? Alice would gag herself when she didn't like something. She hated fruit back then. And now. Just hates fruit. Here's an old video...Feeding Alice Take #1 - YouTube Is the gagging something like this? One taste and mouth goes open?

HubbysSweetheart August 31st, 2012 10:20 AM

No, more like a full on gag/dry heave..... sometimes not so dry. (I can sometimes see the food come back up a little in the back of her throat but she swallows it back down.... yesterday it full on came out with force.)

She's due for a 6 mo checkup if this continues I'm definitely ask the pedi about it.

*krista* August 31st, 2012 01:07 PM

She's never done this before? We aren't doing solids yet for ds, but dd used to gag all the time. Eating solids does involve a learning curve.

HubbysSweetheart August 31st, 2012 05:23 PM

There was a tiny bit of gagging in the very beginning (two months ago) but there hasn't been much since until a few days ago. That's what's got me confused... that and she's gagging on stuff she loves.... today even a fruit she loved was kinda a no. She didn't gag alot but made faces and looked at me like I was trying to feed her lemons. :) Maybe this is all due to taste buds changing/tuning into stuff?

*krista* September 1st, 2012 11:44 AM

Hm that is strange. Did you maybe accidentally make it a little thicker than she is used to? They are real sensitive to texture, so if it is thicker or lumpier than usual then it could be tripping her up. When I made dd's purées I made them in large batches. Could it be a new batch? Maybe the produce is more or less ripe than last time and giving her a weird texture or a new, distracting taste?

Shannon1978 September 10th, 2012 12:10 PM

Nate does this too! He will open his mouth to eat....but if it is too, too thick then he will gag and puke everything up. (He does not do this too often.) If I also put the food too far back in his mouth he will gag and puke too. (He does this all the time.) I am going to talk to my doctor when we go. Nash does not do this at all. I also gave them both a piece of rice...and on another day a itty bitty section of a puff. Nate gagged and puked everything up, and Nash at them both just fine. Nate is my little runt...so I worried that something is wrong.

HPnerd September 11th, 2012 11:14 AM

Was it quite lumpy? Jane always gags when there are too many lumps in her food!