JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Co-sleeping question (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/2611477-co-sleeping-question.html)

BlueJayBaby January 4th, 2013 03:17 PM

Co-sleeping question

The past few nights Mikaela has been just miserably gassy. She doesn't sleep more than an hour or so at a time before she wakes screaming. I have resorted to laying her in bed with me so I and her can get a little sleep. Turns out she loves being in bed with Mom. I make sure that she doesn't lay between me and DH and that the blankets are not up around her face, etc. I always thought I would panic that I would roll on her but I don't feel like I will. DH on the other hand is paranoid and fearing that the worst will happen. I don't want to make her sleeping in bed and every night thing but don't think I should feel guilty or worried if I let her sometimes. Does anyone here co -sleep? Is it as dangerous as my DH thinks?

Twirlbird January 4th, 2013 05:03 PM

Jumping in from April DDC (and nov 11 pr).

We started co-sleeping with my daughter when she was 3 weeks old. My partner was terrified to have her in our bed, that she would die. I, on the otherhand, desperately needed sleep so too bad for him.

We properly cp-slept when she was wee, now we def don't.

I never planned on co-sleeping this long but she has had some health issues that make me too nervous to not have her next to me.

Co-sleeping is not for everyone and hats fine, do with what your gut says is right for you guys

taatie10 January 4th, 2013 05:29 PM

Re: Co-sleeping question

I am the same way. I dont want her getting used to sleeping with us but there was some nights it was tat or no sleep and her crying.

She has slept in her crib still, so just keep trying that first. But dont feel guilty.

Dhartanya January 4th, 2013 06:29 PM

Rilynn starts out in her bassinet, then I bring her to bed in the early morning, so I can get more sleep.

LindseyF January 4th, 2013 06:38 PM

I co-slept with my son for the first 9 months (night time, not naps) & the transition to his crib went fine. I've co-slept wirh Dalya since day 1 and could NOT imagine it any other way. I wake up, pop the boob in her mouth, & go back to sleep. The months of decent sleep I get are well worth the few rough nights spent when they're transitioned into the crib.

nina9809 January 4th, 2013 06:41 PM

We've been co-sleeping since day one - i had no other intention. It has been working out so well for us - especially since we mastered latching on while lying down. My amount of sleep has increased dramatically. I hear him beginning to wake up and make a little sound - I latch him on and pretty much go back to sleep. I can go many nights without even a small cry from LO. I don't plan on co-sleeping forever - in fact I'm thinking only for the first 3 months, but may let it go on as long as 6 months. Do whatever is best for you both!

BlueJayBaby January 4th, 2013 07:06 PM

Thanks ladies. I told DH that my intention is not for her to sleep with us every night but that there are certain nights where she may just end up in our bed. To tell you the truth I have also been plopping her in bed with me most mornings after DH goes to work. I just haven't told him yet. Lol.

gardenbelle January 4th, 2013 10:53 PM

I've co-slept with each of my children and I couldn't imagine it any other way. With my first, he needed to be touching me in order to sleep and we co-slept for the first 19 months. He still needs someone to lie down with him in order to go to sleep. With my daughter, she didn't need that constant touching and she would start out in the bassinet for her first sleep leg of the night and then come in with me. At around 4 or 5 months, she moved into her crib in her room and she goes to sleep fine without any trouble. I think it really depends on the child if they will want to co-sleep for a longer length of time - I'm sure if it were up to my 4 year old son, he would be happily co-sleeping still. :D
As for safety, I personally think it's less of a risk for SIDS than a baby sleeping alone after reading up on recent studies (as long as it's done safely and you do not have any of the risk factors that make co-sleeping unsafe).

hilhillrn January 5th, 2013 10:24 AM

Im one of those who believes it's actually best to cosleep (safely, of course) with little babies. It just makes sense biologically. So yeah, I cosleep with B because it's just easier and makes sense. :) If he goes to sleep before we go to sleep, I'll start him out in the PNP or the swing but after his first waking, he's in bed with us. Im always aware of where he is and where everyone else is in the bed and we've never had issues. And yes, you do get a lot more sleep! Theres no way I could drag myself out of bed 2-3x a night to feed him, I'd be a walking zombie, especially when I have 2 other kiddos to take care of during the day...

BlueJayBaby January 5th, 2013 11:26 AM

Any suggestions on how to get DH on board? If we're up to me I wouldn't have a problem with it.

gardenbelle January 5th, 2013 02:25 PM

Here are some articles to show him:
http://www.parenting.com/article/ask...-a-sids-danger
Co-sleeping Safer Than Cribs Says SIDS Researcher James McKenna | Inhabitots

BeckyBozeman January 5th, 2013 06:20 PM

Actually talked to my midwife about this when she came for a visit yesterday. What she told me is that breastfed babies sleep less deeply than formula fed babies (and SIDS is much more of a danger if baby is sleeping really soundly) and that makes cosleeping make much more sense if you're breastfeeding. I also know that, having slept next to her for the past couple of nights, there's no way I could roll over onto her. She makes the slightest sound or movement and I'm awake and I'm very aware of her. My DH is different in that I have to keep explaining to him why she needs to be by me and not in between us. I think he's a little offended at the idea that he's not as aware of her. But all I have to do is ask him how many times she cried during the night and when he has no idea he realizes it's just not true...Poor daddies!! :D

May14th2011 January 5th, 2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckyBozeman (Post 26939655)
Actually talked to my midwife about this when she came for a visit yesterday. What she told me is that breastfed babies sleep less deeply than formula fed babies (and SIDS is much more of a danger if baby is sleeping really soundly) and that makes cosleeping make much more sense if you're breastfeeding. I also know that, having slept next to her for the past couple of nights, there's no way I could roll over onto her. She makes the slightest sound or movement and I'm awake and I'm very aware of her. My DH is different in that I have to keep explaining to him why she needs to be by me and not in between us. I think he's a little offended at the idea that he's not as aware of her. But all I have to do is ask him how many times she cried during the night and when he has no idea he realizes it's just not true...Poor daddies!! :D

If I put Maggie between us, DH won't sleep at all. He just lays there awake, scared to death that he'll roll over on her so I have to put on the other side of me, otherwise the poor guy won't get any sleep. :D

Gripstress January 6th, 2013 03:30 AM

Oh yeah they have no awareness. Last week I was awake and put her between us for a few minutes. Dh happened to wake up and freaked out that she was there. It freaks him out for sure. I've always co-slept with my babies and they are all so different. My first easily went to the crib at around 11 months because that was when I first tried. My second slept with me until 3 1/2 and only sort of stopped because we had another baby move into the bed. My third pretty much hated co-sleeping but I didn't get it until about 6 months when I tried the crib and she thrived on her independence. So far this baby loves sleeping with me and wakes up if she thinks I am not there with her.

chomsee January 6th, 2013 08:44 AM

My baby is 2 weeks old and the bassinet is getting dusty because he sleeps with us. I didn't realise after having him in my belly always there that it would be me having trouble not sleeping with him! We've slept soundly through the nights, and he is beside me not inbetween the hubby and I.

Dhartanya January 6th, 2013 09:55 AM

Rilynn seems really good doing half and half right now.
She sleeps soundly in her bassinet and then just as soundly (if not a bit more lol) beside me.
She definetly sleeps in longer stretches in the bed.
But good gravy, she's a kicker and a flails her arms and body around a lot, plus she is a very vocal sleeper.

I convinced hubby to let me side car her crib.... So progress!

I also read a good article about the dangers of not co sleeping.
As sometimes, it makes momma's fall asleep in dangerous places where baby could fall or easily suffocate.
I can't find the darn article anymore though.

Gripstress January 6th, 2013 11:16 AM

Good point, Meghan. I can only imagine being up all night with baby and falling asleep somewhere not so good :(

jamiemama90 January 6th, 2013 01:10 PM

Everleigh sleeps between us. My husband is very aware of her and wakes up every time she does. we take turns with her during the night but really she doesn't wake up often and never cries. Just grunts or coos. A good book to read is the family bed. I am a believer that a child sleeping with their parents is safer than alone.

BlueJayBaby January 6th, 2013 06:41 PM

Thank you everyone for the responses. Last night I was able to pull her into bed after her last feeding (around 6:00) and DH didn't say a peep about it. He did check on her sleeping beside me a few times and let me know when it looked like I was squishing her shoulder. I was not. :) I actually found it cute that he cared so much. Not sure what did it but I think he understands that it's just fine. Probably doesn't hurt that I get more sleep and therefore am nicer to him. Lol.

hilhillrn January 6th, 2013 08:39 PM

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but if you are concerned about her being in bed with you but still want her close, have you looked into an Arm's Reach Cosleeper? You can sometimes find them on CL or on those FB yardsale pages for cheap. You basically side car it to the side of your bed so baby has her own space. I want one soooo bad!