JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Over feeding? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/2611648-over-feeding.html)

rlh27 January 5th, 2013 08:42 AM

Over feeding?

I usually give Caleb a 3oz bottle of expressed milk in the middle of the night and he usually gobbles the whole thing down. So last night I thought I'd see how much he'd eat before stopping, and he ate between 4.5 and 5oz :eek: He is such a porker! He promptly went into a milk comma and slept for close to 6 hours (which was AMAZING). But being the worrier that I am, I'm now concerned that I overfed him. Is that possible, and if so, what harm can it do to baby? He didn't spit any of it up (he hardly ever spits up anyways) and he was obviously very content with no belly ache if he slept for so long (I did give him gas drops after, though, because I always do that).

daffneyc January 5th, 2013 10:05 AM

Re: Over feeding?

Frank overfed Matthew once and he promptly projectile vomited all over the place. (Seriously though, I think he fed him like 8 0z or something ridiculous when he was less than a month old). If he slept like that and didn't spit up, I wouldn't worry momma!

hilhillrn January 5th, 2013 10:34 AM

From what I've read, it is possible to over feed by bottle, but not by breast. The reason is that the way babies eat from a bottle is different from the breast, they are able to regulate it better by just breastfeeding. I dont think babies eat 5oz at one breastfeeding session, at least not this young, and especially at night. It's still important for milk supply to nurse frequently at night (or else that stupid AF will come sooner rather than later, for some women).

This is all stuff Ive read on BFing websites, so take it for what it's worth!

taatie10 January 5th, 2013 12:10 PM

I'm glad you asked this. Samantha is taking just formula right now as trial.
And typically I'd give her a 3oz bottle but in the last few days she isnt satisfied with only 3oz. She will take 4-5oz. She does this over the course of 30minutes or so. If I stop at the 3oz she screams like she hasnt eaten in a week. But then sometimes she will only eat 2oz.
I was concerned but since she she screams like shes starving I dont have any choice.

rlh27 January 5th, 2013 12:37 PM

I pump when I feed him at night. Pumping and then giving him some of what I pumped just seems to work best for us in the middle of the night (it's a lot easier than waking him up to latch on), so my supply isn't an issue. I stopped to burp him after each ounce and he'd still want more. Who knows, I guess if he's content then I shouldn't be concerned.

dickersons09 January 5th, 2013 03:48 PM

My pediatrician always said if they are hungry feed him when Miles was a baby...but he was 9.5lbs and the 2oz every 2-4 hrs that was told to me didn't cut it, the kid was starving...that being said, I bottle feed Sawyer and he's only drinking 4oz or less every few hours and he's 6 weeks old...
My bottle fed babies have always known when to stop...but it could be different since he's used to BF...

DawnVH January 7th, 2013 01:30 PM

My Violet is now 6 weeks old and she is eating about 4 oz. I think if you overfed you
would definitely notice with the spitting up. Sounds like you are ok!