JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Hearing problems? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/2628823-hearing-problems.html)

SarahxSyanide February 24th, 2013 10:24 AM

Hearing problems?

Genevieve doesn't respond to noises behind her. I've shaken pill bottles, clapped, dropped books and nothing. She'll blink at the pill bottle if it's close to her. She responds to her daddy saying her name when she's asleep. If you're out of her view and talk to her, she won't really know until you're in her face. She babbles, laughs, and squeels. I read that she can still do that even if she couldn't hear. I'm worried she's had hearing loss. She did respond to me shaking a bottle when her eyes were closed.
Maybe she can only focus on one thing at a time?

Her 4 month appointment is on the 4th.

TVH February 24th, 2013 01:12 PM

Re: Hearing problems?

Did they do a hearing test in the hospital?

Christie doesn't always respond to noises, it seems to depend on her mood and the noise. Dogs barking right next to her typically causes no reaction yet if she hears her daddy she starts looking around for him.

SarahxSyanide February 24th, 2013 04:35 PM

They did. She got 10 out of 10 and 9 out of 9..If thats right. she got the full score out of her tests..I don't remember the numbers.

She wasn't looking at me and I shook a bottle of pills and it startled her, so she can definitely hear.

Belita February 24th, 2013 06:11 PM

Like TVH said, They don't always respond to sounds. Sean doesn't flinch at the sound of our cats fighting in the room but he'll almost always turn at the sound of my voice even if I'm quieter and further away.

melaniek85 February 24th, 2013 09:26 PM

A few weeks ago I started worrying that Frankie couldn't hear. I'd walk into his room, while he was in his crib awake but facing away from me. I'd say his name and he would not turn his head, I'd tap his crib and nothing. It didn't seem like he'd respond much to sound, except smile when I talked. But over the last week or two he seems to really respond, I'll say his name and he'll turn to look at me, he hears everything now and sounds wake him up (kind of annoying lol) and loud noises startle him. It seemed like for a while, he just didn't notice noises...

NewGurl February 25th, 2013 05:14 AM

not responding doesnt mean they didnt hear think about how many sounds we ignore every day imagin trying to do anything if you turned around every time someone took a step picked something up typed on a keyboard ect ect if they nvr ever responded that whould be differnt but everything sounds normal to me.

Glycerin19 February 25th, 2013 07:54 AM

I agree with the others. It's likely she's just choosing not to respond. Norah doesn't always look at a noise, but sometimes the slightest little sound will frighten her. Norah also "plays" this game where she will purposely not look or respond when we try to get her attention. She will look in the opposite direction from what we are on. Perhaps there is a little of that going on too.

Leanne78 February 26th, 2013 09:17 AM

Since you mentioned in another post that she has excessive ear wax or something leaking out of her ear, she might have an ear infection or maybe just a plugged up ear? Or like the other ladies said "selective" hearing. Cam is usually pretty attentive but when she is really fixated on something, I could do a song and dance routine from Chicago and she wouldn't look at me.

Nervous Newbie February 28th, 2013 12:20 PM

Hi there just saw this post and I am an audiologist (hearing doctor) so wanted to add in that babies under 6 mth of age do not have the proper head control to know how to look for sounds all the time. They are still trying to make sense of sounds and don't really know how to respond properly at this young of an age. Most will respond to sounds in front of them or things they know (mom and dads voice) If they passed a hearing test at birth I wouldn't worry, but mention it to your dr and they can have the newborn test repeated. By 6 mths if still concerned, then they can be put in an actual soundbooth and tested that way. Hope this helps and if any other questions feel free to PM me.

SarahxSyanide March 1st, 2013 06:58 PM

Thank you for responding! That was very helpful and put my mind at ease.

lilsuma March 13th, 2013 10:08 AM

i should have looked further back as i just posted asking the same question. how did it end up going at the appt?. my son goes for his hearing test in may