JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Winter started playing pretend! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/2648724-winter-started-playing-pretend.html)

Spyctre May 7th, 2013 04:41 AM

Winter started playing pretend!

I gave her some of her little puff cereal pieces, and she took the can, pretended to pour some out, and ate a piece. Did it for every piece like she was serving herself. So cute! She's been putting everything that makes noise to her head like a phone, too, but I couldn't tell if she just liked the music. :p

It's a relief to see. Most kids with Autism have a problem with pretend play.

Blue-Jay May 7th, 2013 11:10 AM

Re: Winter started playing pretend!

That's adorable! Isn't it so much fun to play with them? I love this age! I'm so glad you're on here, because you always tell me what to look for in Robby, lol. I totally would've just taken any pretend play he did right into stride, but now I'm so much more appreciative of his achievements! :)

Spyctre May 7th, 2013 08:44 PM

I'm glad at least one person doesn't think I'm paranoid! lol It's pretty rare to have more than one. I say that and both my dad and grandfather had two children with it, but only one out of the four did a bit more poorly. That's my brother. He followed Alice's pattern a little more, the classic "My child turned a year and just changed!" :rolleyes: My mom goes back and forth between blaming herself for taking pregnancy safe allergy medicine and blaming the doctors for immunizing him.

He was a strange baby, though. He didn't like to be held at all, always wanted to play alone. I was told he was a perfect baby, always content. No one minded keeping him because he was never any kind of trouble. Just like Alice. She was perfect! Content, didn't startle at loud noises(because Autistic people distinguish sound differently), didn't cry for shots or any pain, wasn't a lap baby, didn't want attention, etc. Not like Winter! Oh, my goodness, she is drama. A total lap baby and cuddle bug. It's so sweet and so exhausting at the same time. lol

Alice is starting to cuddle with us more, but it's for her benefit. She has a sensory processing disorder, and she craves bear hugs, all over body scratch sessions, just being caressed, and other things like that.

I think I went off on a tangent. lol A lot of Autism symptoms are different, but if you have a question, I can tell you how the Autistic people I know act. ;)

kearsty20 May 7th, 2013 10:25 PM

what a little cutie pie!!!!!

Katie L May 10th, 2013 07:58 PM

Jack is playing "phone" too! He holds any toy to his head and even sometimes his hand held palm flat. He'll say "aah" (we think this is his hi) and then babble on in his jargon.

He isn't talking much though. No mama, dada. Says "ba" for bath and bottle. Wish he said more words. But he is affectionate and plays with us and his toys. And is often demanding of attention. So I think this is just a speech delay. But we'll see...

lovemylittlemiss May 11th, 2013 07:31 AM

I didn't know that kids with autism have a hard time with that. Makes me feel better about DD. She doesn't say much yet but has been pretending for a couple months. She looooves her play kitchen and taking care of her dollies. She shares her food and drinks with them, tries to brush their nonexistent hair, it's so cute :)