JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Feelin' the burn! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1944-2012-playroom/2685822-feelin-burn.html)

Ame C October 14th, 2013 05:12 PM

Feelin' the burn!

Oh jeeze I did NOT miss this heartburn! It's killer today. I feel like I have lava creeping up my throat. Just thought I would throw that out there.

melaniek85 October 14th, 2013 06:08 PM

Re: Feelin' the burn!

Ugh, I understand. It started around 9 weeks this time, now it's every night and it hurts.

lilsuma October 14th, 2013 06:34 PM

mine doesn't kick in till around 30 weeks, i dont miss it!

Ame C October 14th, 2013 06:41 PM

Do you take anything for it or just ride it out?
So far I've been dealing with it, but I can't imagine it's very good for my esophagus. Are TUMS really safe?

lilsuma October 14th, 2013 06:52 PM

u can try milk

melaniek85 October 14th, 2013 08:07 PM

Everything I've heard says tums are safe. Tums no longer work for me , so I'm on Zantac. It got to the point where I started getting sore throats and hoarse from it, so I needed to do something.

Ame C October 14th, 2013 08:53 PM

Milk doesn't help.. I mean maybe for 30-45 mins until my stomach mixes the milk in with all my other stomach acids. Then it just makes it worse. I wish I wasn't so paranoid to take meds. I feel like anything I do is going to have negative side affects. I'm constantly walking on pins and needles. I haven't tried Tums yet but I lived on them when I was pregnant with Clyde. They pretty much stopped working for me too at the time. I would end up taking 5 throughout the day/night. Little things like that make me wonder if that could have been why we lost him. Not knowing why is something that weighs heavily on my mind.

Sorry to get into all that, but it's all part of why I'm so paranoid to take anything. I really hope these next 2 and a half months go by super fast. The further along I get the more I feel anxiety. I'm so ready for L&D day!!!

melaniek85 October 15th, 2013 05:56 AM

I think tums is just calcium, which is safe but I see why you are worried about it.

I read that these things may help with heartburn: Ginger, bananas and melon (says it helps most but can make it worse in some), celery, licorice, peppermint, eat small meals, don't lay down after eating, at night lay with head propped up, chewing gum, avoid foods that trigger heartburn (spicy, caffeine (chocolate, coffee, cola).

I also read that milk can temporarily relieve heartburn but the fats will actually stimulate the stomach to produce more acid.

Maybe try some of those, see if you can find something else that works before going to a med.

Ame C October 15th, 2013 02:59 PM

Thank you. I think peppermint helped a little before in the past. I will have to try that again. And I love celery so I can try that too. I tried fresh ginger for the first time ever a few days ago and OMG!! I spit it out right away. It was shocking... it burned my mouth and lips immediately. It was a very strange sensation that I'm not sure I will be able to get used to very easily, lol.

Leanne78 October 18th, 2013 07:17 AM

HATE heartburn! Prevacid was the only thing that helped me when I was pregnant. Hope it eases up for you soon.

JNIEVES October 18th, 2013 07:28 PM

Tums, and a little apple cider vinegar. I didn't believe my mom when she said to try the vinegar but a teaspoon made a huge difference. The heartburn would peak right after taking it then subside after about 20 minutes 1/2 hour.